Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 info and questions

Oh, its not remorse in my case...I don't mind spending the money, so long as it is what I need/want.

And that is sometimes the hard part to figure out...for me at least.

You see...at first I "wanted" the plex/lockable turret version like FOTIS got...but after I thought about it, I realized that it is a hunting rifle, never gonna be anything but a hunting rifle, don't need it to be anything but a hunting rifle, etc.

That made the turrets/dialing a little less attractive...then I dove into learning and understanding the RapidZ reticles...then the turrets were even less attractive, lol.

In the end...I realized I don't need the turrets, not if that reticle works as advertised (and I believe it does)...all I need is to hit the vitals of a deer/elk/goat...and can do that quicker (I think) if I only have to range the animal and set the magnification to 13x (or whatever actual testing shows the correct setting to be)

Basically...I had to convince myself I didn't need the turrets...old habits die hard.

You have to do what is right for you RR 665, they are a top quality piece of glass no matter which one you choose. Look for to a range report with photos I hope :)

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah I thought about some of those scope features as well. However, I only shoot for practice and enjoyment so, I don't need extra encumbrances which for me would be gadgets and not add anything to my shooting pleasure.

I think you'll really like the HD5. All I have seen have been excellent glass and I think they are alot of scope for the money. Some folks think they are overpriced Conquests, but I think they made some nice improvements on them and the Z600 reticle is pretty simple, as far as holdover reticles go. I still have a mind to put one of the same scopes on my 338, just cause it matches up so closely with the 338 with bullets 200-250 grains..

It'll be there at home tomorrow...too bad I'm in Houston :x

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Lol...no doubt...I'm supposed to be home around May 8th.

REALLY, REALLY like the HD5...and it will work in Talley Lightweight low mounts...but now I need a new rifle [emoji35]

The only scope that I own that I like as well (or better) than the HD5 is the Leica ER 2.5-10x42. Plus, there is not that much difference, considering that the Leica's were $1600. before clearance.

I've got the HD5 5 - 25 X 50 with the Z800 and just ordered a 3 - 15 X 50 with a Z600.
I really like that line of scopes. I also have a 3 -9 X 40 with the Z6 on it.

HOGWILD338-378":729v5bul said:
Who said they needed a new rifle ? :lol: :shock:
Just use the thread locker sparingly 1 drop only !

Only used 1 drop the last time...

Next time I think I'll just weld them on...at least that way I'll know what to expect when I need to remove them. :|

I can see why u guys like this HD series as I like them more and more every time I look thru them myself, they should be around forever as I think they were put together well with for sure quality materials by experienced workers I am sure ! I think they priced them to sell as well as Charlie had mentioned before!

HOGWILD338-378":2rrvy1us said:
I can see why u guys like this HD series as I like them more and more every time I look thru them myself, they should be around forever as I think they were put together well with for sure quality materials by experienced workers I am sure ! I think they priced them to sell as well as Charlie had mentioned before!

I have 2 of them Terry, a Z Plex and a Z600, both are super optics, I truly love them both :grin:

Lou

HOGWILD338-378":36raa2kr said:

Terry,

I was seriously considering a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42mm but ended up getting a VX-6 3-18x44mm. I couldn't pass up the price I got of for.

JD338

JD, I like my Conquest's nearly as well as the HD5 Conquest's. I bought a standard 3.5-10x44 Conquest last year and it is a very clear capable scope. The HD5 may be a little more capable but the Conquest's are no slouch by any measure!

JD338":1f44yg2a said:
HOGWILD338-378":1f44yg2a said:

Terry,

I was seriously considering a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42mm but ended up getting a VX-6 3-18x44mm. I couldn't pass up the price I got of for.

JD338

I have way more Leupolds than any other optik and my most accurate rifle wears a FXIII 6x42 , kinda wish I had a few of the newer ones as they have been keeping up with the Jones's ! I get nervous looking at Leupold site !! my only issue is finding a place that has Optiks to look at in the store! You also get superior service with any issue as Leupold has taken care of accessories that I broke and replaced them without asking for a dime! That means a lot !

Sent the Zeiss back to Midway today...the Z600 reticle wasn't gonna work that well with the 280 Ackley...I exchanged it for the lockable turret version of the same scope.

Ridgerunner665":1r07qkz8 said:
Sent the Zeiss back to Midway today...the Z600 reticle wasn't gonna work that well with the 280 Ackley...I exchanged it for the lockable turret version of the same scope.

That should be a great one. Brian has one and it's the nicest hunting turret out there in my opinion.

The glass for the HD5 is Y* (Tessar) glass made in Germany. It is the same glass used in most of the $1500-$2500 Zeiss scopes. My HD5 glass is better than the latest Conquest that I bought last summer. Quite a bit better, in fact!

Back