Zigging when everyone else is Zagging...

A

Anonymous

Pardon me for a bout of overthinking...

I've decided to scrape the SWFA 10x42 off of my Barrett 6.5CM. It's a fine scope, but ultimately its just too big and heavy for my near term use of the rifle. Don't get me wrong- it's wonderful for exploring the capabilities of the rifle at distances near or far but for my style of hunting it just catches and knocks on everything. For winter hunting- a more compact option is likely a better bet.

I got on a gang of caribou this weekend...down in the trees. The range was under a 100yds but I never got anything remotely shootable. The scope was too powerful and the intervening brush just too obscuring for a moving shot. I'd have made the shot easily with an iron sighted gun or my Scout.

In keeping with the ultralight theme of the rifle, I want a scope that is light and compact that mounts low to the action. I'm not much into long distance shooting at animals, likely 300 yards is the max under all but the most ideal conditions and most of my hunting shots are 200 and a bit of change. In years past I've done quite well with fixed powers in 2.5x, 4x and 6x for that kind of work.

In truth, I could be quite happy with a fixed lower powered scope. I've had a 3-9x on my .300 since 2010 and have shot all but perhaps 3 or 4 animals with the power ring on 6x- a couple at 400ish and a couple at 80 yards.. everything else was 6x. I've gone whole seasons with the power ring on 6x.

For the 6.5CM...I'm thinking a 2.5 or 4x would get me about as far as I'd typically shoot in the winter and I'd have a scoped rifle in the sub-6lb range that's be perfect for skiing or

I realize this sort of thinking is running counter to what everyone else is doing with modern optics and I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't just stick another 3-9x on it and call it a day.

Thoughts?

I’d look at the leupold 2.5-8, I’m pretty sure they even have one with turrets

One of the good smaller 1-6 or 1-8 might be right up your alley too. Several of them have locking turrets that would be handy.

Locally there is a 2-10x32 nightforce NSX at alaska custom firearms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d put a 6x42 or 6x36 on top.

But you should take that with a grain of salt, all my hunting rifles have 6x scopes on them.

joelkdouglas":2mtbipok said:
I’d put a 6x42 or 6x36 on top.

But you should take that with a grain of salt, all my hunting rifles have 6x scopes on them.

What Joel said! I completely agree. Leupold 6x36 or 6x42

How about one of these.

Attachments

• KIMG0094.jpeg
    KIMG0094.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 1,266
  • KIMG0097.jpeg
    KIMG0097.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1,266
The trijicon 1-6 or 1-8 would be a good choice.

761083ff532ba75bdcfea7f26648d1ec.jpg

https://swfa.com/trijicon-1-8x28-accupo ... ope-5.html

I agree, a Leupold 2.5-8 would work very well. That Trijicon 1-8 would also work, but is a heavier scope.
The Saworovski Z3 3-9x36 is also nice and light.

I agree. Went with a Leupold HD5 1.5-5 x24mm 30mmtube,
Fire dot as well for cross hair low light. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that several here use standard fixed 6 power scopes with a great deal of success. I have pretty much all that have been mentioned, but as far variables your needs would probably me met with a nice 3 X 9 X 40 Leupold they are a great scope and I have had a couple for years. I also prefer the duplex cross wires, as I find the one's with the flags, dots, circles, and the like confusing,

I own several Leupold 2.5-8x36 rifle scopes. They are great scopes and hard to beat. I also have a Weaver Grand Slam in 2.5-8x36 but eye relief is more critical on that scope, so I replaced it with one of my Leupolds.

A little different take here, but on my custom Mauser .30-06 I have a Weaver v10. This one dates back to the mid-90's, so I don't know if the current ones are of the same quality. But the one I have has Japanese optics, 2-10x variable, and the objective is 38mm, so a little smaller diameter scope. It has performed flawlessly for over 2 decades now. And it won't break the bank; I think I paid < $200 for it at the time.

Over thinking is half the fun. The reliability of a fixed power scope and your being in AK and hunting in the winter pushes me towards a fixed 4x scope... I don't know a lot about who offers fixed power scopes, but I will add my experiences with variable power scopes that might work for you.

I have a Leupold 2.5-8 which has been a good light weight scope, not as clear as Zeiss scopes are for me, but it does everything I need on a lightweight rig. Crosshairs are adequately thick for low light shooting. At the current price and considering the reliability issues Leupold has been having, I would personally buy a used one or look at a different company for new scope...

If weight is a bit more negotiable, a used Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 MC can often be had on gunbroker for around $350. This is what has historically been on my primary rig and they are built like a tank. About 4" of eye relief, good eye box and clear optics. I used low mounts and weight is the only real issue I have with fully recommending this scope.

I really like the Zeiss HD5's and I picked up a 2-10 for $500 shipped at Natchez a few months ago. Weight though would be an issue for you as it weighs 17 or 18 ounces.

The Swaro Z3 3-9, would also be something to seriously consider. Plex crosshairs are really thin though so you might need an A4 or other crosshair.

If you want a low power variable, I'd look at the Leupold VxR 1.25-4. I've had one on my AR at work for several years and its worked well and has been trouble free. Getting knocked around in a patrol car day after day is hard on an optic. The illuminated dot is a plus in low light.

Bruce Mc":1v3k29t6 said:
If you want a low power variable, I'd look at the Leupold VxR 1.25-4.... The illuminated dot is a plus in low light.

I found one locally and picked it up. 11.5oz and it's just the right sort of compact size that fits the rifle.

This is basically turning into my winter rifle- no moose season and the bears are "mostly" asleep. Predators up to caribou...should be good to go!

Nice!

Ya, I really like the low-powered variables and of course the fixed 6x scopes are a favorite of mine! :)

Guy

Back