5am Smoke

SJB358":1jxr83xh said:
I love my Traeger. Man, if you wanna try a great rib recipe try Jim’s out but using your Traeger instead of the over. I’m telling you it’s like meat candy.
I bet they are even better on the smoker.
I'm going to make a couple slabs this coming weekend.

JD338

here is the baffle in the smoker . this was the test to see if it fit . he doesn't have the holes drilled for the handle , that's why it's not tight against the side . the food grate sets above this baffle , on angles . you can see one of them tacked across the back . you do not cook on this baffle . Travis sent us a pic with the cooking grate in place too , but Denise can't get it off her phone . :oops:

10092.jpeg

jimbires":3gmb15ok said:
do you guys have a heat baffle in your smoker ?

I'm not sure what brand smoker my son has , but the temp difference from one side to the other was about (I think ) 100* . he found me some pictures of a baffle , supposedly to cure this . he cut and shaped a pizza box ,and wrote some dimensions . I cut a heavy plate and bent it to his shape , and drilled holes in it . the holes nearest the fire box are 1/4"? , they increase in size to 3/4"? farthest away from the fire box . he said it really helped balance the cooking temp .

I was thinking to order a new heat baffle as a back up and do your method on the existing heat baffle.
Thanks for the ideas. (y)

TackDriver284":yf1mqty7 said:
jimbires":yf1mqty7 said:
do you guys have a heat baffle in your smoker ?

I'm not sure what brand smoker my son has , but the temp difference from one side to the other was about (I think ) 100* . he found me some pictures of a baffle , supposedly to cure this . he cut and shaped a pizza box ,and wrote some dimensions . I cut a heavy plate and bent it to his shape , and drilled holes in it . the holes nearest the fire box are 1/4"? , they increase in size to 3/4"? farthest away from the fire box . he said it really helped balance the cooking temp .

I was thinking to order a new heat baffle as a back up and do your method on the existing heat baffle.
Thanks for the ideas. (y)

I think you'll be able to play with the hole size and get the heat the way you want it .

jimbires, I had forgotten that I use aluminum foil on the baffle to keep drippings from landing on it to help keep the baffle clean, since it easy cleaning after removing the foil after use and throw it away. If drilling the holes, will it have any change of temp if I used foil on it? I assume it will even out the heat without foil paper on it.

Mark , I'll say if you cover with aluminum foil you have defeated the purpose of the holes .

while I was looking through pics for the other thread , I found these and remembered talking about the heat baffle . the heat baffle really equalized the temp in this smoker . this smoker has two temp gauges . he said the smoker is very easy to use now .

IMG_20220530_171535965.jpg IMG_20220530_171544362.jpg

Back