advise needed on ratio for red stag grind

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I am in the process of deboning a red stag cow. What would you guys recommend a ratio of stag to beef brisket for ground? I usually do a deer / beef brisket ( with trimmings ) ground at a ratio of 70 /30 grind. I will also cut some roasts and package them, then later cut them into steaks or cubes for stew.
Never tasted red stag before, any help is appreciated. Thanks

I should imagine that treating it as you would elk. I've used 70/30 on elk, but I've also used elk without any beef added. So long as you know what you have, you can adjust your cooking to ensure sufficient moisture to make the meat tasty. What a great problem to have! (y)

DrMike":1qt95o23 said:
I should imagine that treating it as you would elk. I've used 70/30 on elk, but I've also used elk without any beef added. So long as you know what you have, you can adjust your cooking to ensure sufficient moisture to make the meat tasty. What a great problem to have! (y)

Thanks Mike, I'm down to two rear legs left on that stag. Just got done on the backstraps and loins as well. Scraps from the neck, shoulders and other parts were thrown in the grind pile. Going to separate the rear leg into groups, package them as roast for later use as steaks / cubes, etc. Any other small bits will go in the grind pile. By the way, I shared a small stag steak with the family last night for a taste, its our first, and boy its delicious. Before I will do the final ratio, I'll try a 90 /10, then a 80 /20 and a 70 /30 ratio and do a small sample and see which the family likes and go for that ratio. Thanks again for the advise Mike. (y)

Back