45ACP deer loads

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Was reading on here of someone using a 45ACP to deer hunt with and was wondering for those who have what load did you use? I've never used mine for deer hunting and was curious. Dan.

If using a 1911 it’s pretty simple to replace the recoil spring and use 45 super. 185gr XTP @ 1200+ FPS would be pretty effective. I’ve used the 10mm to excellent effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back when I first got married 41 years ago if I did not grow, catch or shoot it we did not eat it we were so cash strapped. I did some work for an old fellow and for payment he gave me a WWII bring back 1911A1 Colt that was in really ruff condition. He was a Marine and said he took it off a dead Jap that had taken it off an American. In the tropics things rust really quickly especially when they get blood on them. The pistol had rust pits on one side that were blood splatter shaped. The barrel was toast from shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning. I had a friend that was in the National Guard and he "acquired" a new barrel and spring for me. Another friend had loading equipment I could use as well as a Lyman mold for a 200 gr SWC. I got free wheel weights at a tire store and cast my bullets. I got brass free at a popular shooting spot. I found that 7 grs Unique with the 200 gr case SWC was pretty accurate in that old pistol. According to the load data the velocity was supposed to be close to 1000 fps. At that time it was illegal to hunt deer with a pistol in east NC where I was living but a man has to do what he has to do to feed his family. I would carry my shotgun loaded with buck shot, which cost close to a dollar a round, which was a legal weapon for deer but hide the pistol under my coat and go down into the swamp and set up where 50 yards was a long shot. I shot a good number of deer with that old 45 ACP for less than a Nickle a round. It would cut a 45 cal hole going in and coming out through the ribs. It let the air out of them pretty quickly. With a 45 ACP I would limit my shots to under 50 yards. With most any of the self defense ammo of today loaded with Horandy XTP, Speer Gold Dot or the likes will do just fine on deer.

I figured the hollow point would work just didn't know which weight was preferred. I'd go with 200-230 gr. Dan.

A few years back I shot a buck with my S&W 629 Classic 44 Magnum. I hit him a little high and forward. When I tracked him I bumped him so I circled around and walked right up to him. As he tried to get up, I drew my Kimber Tactical Pro II and fired 2 quick shots at about 10 yards. Both Federal 230 gr HST bullets went through both shoulders putting the buck down.
It was close range but the 45 ACP was very effective on that deer.

JD338

It wasn't hunting - but as a cop I killed quite a few mule deer with my 45 1911 over the years. They'd get hit by a car (or the train, ugh), hurt by dogs, caught in a wire fence, etc... Our town is down in their traditional wintering area, and year after year, they come on into town and live with us for a couple of months. It's cool seeing the deer right in town, but there are issues.

The dispatchers and the other officers quickly figured out that I didn't mind shooting some poor deer to put it out of whatever awful situation it had gotten into. The meat went to the local homeless men's shelter too. At least in the old days. Later the carcasses just got thrown out. That bothered me. I liked the meat going to the homeless shelter a lot better.

Wasn't too impressed with the 230 grain Federal Hydra Shock. Inconsistent expansion, and often not a lot of damage. It worked, but... Some of 'em kinda lingered if it wasn't a brain shot.

Later I was in a position to upgrade our ammo selection and went with a 230 grain bonded JHP at 915 fps. That was a Federal +P load. That bullet expanded well, did a gob-snot of damage to the lungs & heart and killed quickly. Penetration was interesting, we found this in shooting people with it too. For all that bullet weight, it really didn't penetrate all that much. I'd get an exit, or maybe it would stop under the off-side hide. Talking deer here. With people, it made it through but lost most of its energy and we'd pick up the danged spent bullet off the couch or whatever. I liked that Federal load. It expanded really well, the bullet didn't come apart.

Oh - re the old Hydra Shock load - it wasn't all bad. A buddy of mine killed a charging black bear with his 45, he was in camp, up above Lake Chelan, Washington. One day before bear season started. The Fish & Wildlife people just said "tag it" - they'd had a problem bear charging backpackers all summer in that area, getting them to drop their packs and run. Apparently it charged the wrong fellow when it came into my buddy's camp. :)

So, one load that penetrated maybe too much without reliable expansion, and the other that expanded really well, but might be a little shy on penetration of larger critters. Good for deer though.

Regards, Guy

Back