Forming .280 Ross cases from Hornady .375 Ruger cases.

duckcreekdick

Beginner
Jul 26, 2012
I just finished up 50 cases and lost only 4, so not a bad outcome for such a radical forming procedure. Here are the steps I followed.
1. Use a .348 Win. sizing die with the stem removed, adjust the die until it sizes the neck just down to the shoulder junction. The purpose of this is to reduce the neck diameter in two easier steps and prevent collapse of the shoulder.
2. Use a .280 Ross sizing die backed off 1/16" from the shellholder and resize the case.
3. Use a .280 Ross sizing die adjusted down to the shellholder and resize the case again.
4. Trim to 2.600 and deburr.
5. Full length resize again with the stem and expander ball in place.
6. Check to see if the cases chamber in your rifle.

I used Imperial Sizing Wax, a RCBS Rockchucker press, and a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer. I haven't reloaded any of them yet, but the reformed cases look very good and should work fine, even if they do not have a proper headstamp. :lol:

I have about sixty pieces of brass formed from 375 H&H cases. I didn't reform them; they came with the rifle. However, the previous owner used a C&H die to form them. In the process, he split the die. I phoned C&H to see if there was any warranty on the dies. I was informed that if the die was used to size .280 Ross brass, it was fully warrantied. If it was used to create brass from either a 348 or a 375 H&H, there was no warranty. It was fairly obvious, because I could see the reformed brass, what had happened. Accordingly, I bought new dies. I do have some 348 brass that came with the rifle, but I'm holding onto that brass on the off chance that I will pick up a Model 71 at some point in the near future.

DrMike, that sounds like me buying another .280 Rem rifle because I had a 7 boxes of 140 grain TBBC factory premium ammo and dies on hand!

I wonder if carbide sizer stems would help reduce case loss in such a radical resizing as .375 H&H to .280 Ross? I am not sure that you can get the carbide in .348 dia but I know that you can in 7mm.

In discussions with others that had considerable experience, it was the extreme pressures required to size the H&H brass. I am simply reserving this brass and spending the moneys to buy appropriately formed and head-stamped brass. It will take me a bit longer to secure the components, but I'll be happier in the long run. It has delayed my load development by some months, however. Still, the 348 brass may be an opportunity to secure a rifle that I've wanted for some time. :grin:

My previous efforts in forming cases for my 1910 Ross were with 300 H&H brass. I don't recall extreme efforts in doing so, just a lot of neck trimming and more rejected cases caused by dimpling in the shoulder. I even tried expensive BELL basic brass years ago but had indifferent results. .375 Ruger brass seems the way to go for the working man who wants to reload for his rifle and is unconcerned about proper headstamps. Heck, my Ross does not even have (shudder) a proper butt plate, but I love her just the same. :?

duckcreekdick":21t6tozw said:
My previous efforts in forming cases for my 1910 Ross were with 300 H&H brass. I don't recall extreme efforts in doing so, just a lot of neck trimming and more rejected cases caused by dimpling in the shoulder. I even tried expensive BELL basic brass years ago but had indifferent results. .375 Ruger brass seems the way to go for the working man who wants to reload for his rifle and is unconcerned about proper headstamps. Heck, my Ross does not even have (shudder) a proper butt plate, but I love her just the same. :?

You're probably correct, and I may indeed try the 375 Ruger brass.

DrMike":116n53ck said:
Still, the 348 brass may be an opportunity to secure a rifle that I've wanted for some time. :grin:

The 348 Win seems like a good byproduct of the 280 Ross purchase Mike. The 348 Win is a dream rifle at this point, but I will secure one, when I can do it and still feed my kids. I have a feeling a Model 71 would see alot of field time...

Because of my armory, a Model 71 might not see as much field time as it should, but it would definitely see some time in the field. :grin:

DrMike, as my as I would enjoy owning and shooting a Model 71 Winchester, I wonder if I could put one to good use as I really have trouble seeing the iron sights on the rifles and without a peep sight, I don't think that I could shoot one very accurately anymore. That was why I gave my son my Pre 64, Model 94.

Oldtrader3":2zfi3zu4 said:
DrMike, as my as I would enjoy owning and shooting a Model 71 Winchester, I wonder if I could put one to good use as I really have trouble seeing the iron sights on the rifles and without a peep sight, I don't think that I could shoot one very accurately anymore. That was why I gave my son my Pre 64, Model 94.

I hear ya', Charlie. I use a Williams Peep Sight or glass. I believe I can mount a peep on a Model 71, so it would work for me.

Oldtrader3":47mn5um3 said:
It would have to be the peep sight for me, DrMike.

Same here Charlie. I love Peep's. While not as awesome for hunting as a good scope, they are pretty danged accurate for me. Matter of fact, I think I am going to put Skinner's Sights on my 444 Marlin. I always think about the worst case for a shot with the rifles, but really, most of my shooting would probably be within 150 yards when hunting with the levers.

Yeah me also Scotty. One hundred-fifty yards is a good practical limit for most of these cartridges anyway, plus accuracy with a peep sight (for me) would be about that.

Yeah, most of my shots with the lever rifles are within 150 yards. I'm comfortable with good glass reaching out to 250 yards with my 356s and with the 358 BLR when I carried it. However, these are hunting rifles meant to deliver a blow at closer ranges. The Model 71 would fall into that same category.

For you fellows who might pick up a Win. 71 in the future, it might be a good idea to buy brass and bullets now, especially the brass. A few years back when manufacturers were trimming back production of less popular calibers, I stocked up on .348, .250 Savage and 30-40 Krag brass. I agree with all of you on aperture sights for the rifle. Ken Waters had a good article some years back in "Rifle Magazine" on the Mod. 71 which I will try to find if you are interested.

I have a set of dies lurking in my rack. Hoping they start making the other components appear as well!

Back