New Handloaders

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
In the last two weeks, I've been privileged to introduce three people to handloading. My friend Aime wanted to learn to load for his Tikka 22-250. He bought dies, brass and a selection of bullets. I sat him down at the bench and we began the process. a couple of hours later, he had turned out several sets of test loads to take to the range. Yep, he's hooked.

My associate pastor got into hunting in a big way this fall. He shot his first big game animal--a young moose. I had loaned him my 30-06 and some loads. Apparently he liked what happened.
For Christmas he bought himself a Savage 30-06 and his 11 year old son, Jonah, a 243. Jason approached me two weeks ago to see if I would teach him how to load for his 30-06. He turned out some quality test loads that only lack trigger time at the range.

Nahum is a young man who attends our services with his family. He has a Model 700 chambered in 300 Savage. This past fall we were talking and he said he wanted to use that rifle for taking game. His dad is not in the picture to help him. One other piece of information is that Nahum is native, so he is able to hunt for the family's foods. His sister, Jael, took a deer with the rifle this past year, and now it is Nahum's wish to be able to take game. When I asked him what he wanted to hunt, he didn't hesitate to tell me that he wanted to hunt moose. Nahum lives in a game rich area, abounding in moose, elk, black bear, grizzly, mountain sheep, mountain goats, caribou and mule deer. He is a conscientious lad with a willingness to learn. I had some difficulty in finding dies and brass, but eventually we were able to round up a set of RCBS FL dies and a couple of bags of WW brass. This past Sunday afternoon he and his family came over to the house after church. We sat at the bench (his two younger brothers watching eagerly at every step of the way) and Nahum turned out some fine-looking ammunition. Here he is admiring his first set of loads.

The next stop for Nahum is a trip to the range to chronograph his load and test for accuracy.

It's quite enjoyable to introduce others to the art and craft of handloading.

Mike...I am honoured to know you! Your generosity is not only shown here on the forum by helping many of us improve our skill, but you also "talk the talk" and "walk the walk" by helping people get into another aspect of shooting by learning how to reload to make it easier for them to continue shooting and hunting.
You are the real deal!

I taught handloading courses for some time. I haven't done any for about eighteen months as I don't have a facility where I can set up, and my reloading room is somewhat small. However, I do enjoy bringing people in, especially younger shooters, to guide them through the process. Aime worked up some 40 grain BT loads, hoping to pop a coyote and perhaps a wolf this winter. I believe we will be going to the range this coming week so he can chronograph his loads and test for accuracy. Then, we will load him up with a hundred or so loads. He also shoots a 300 Weatherby. I worked up a load for him a year about built around a 200 grain AB. However, he hasn't taken anything with that load yet. I did buy him a set of dies, and so he is now asking if he can come over and load for that. Well, I guess. :grin:

Jason built his load for his 30-06 around a 180 grain Partition. I did tell him that if he is going to insist on a premium bullet he would need to buy his own bullets after this.

Nahum built his first loads with 180 grain Hornady Interlocks. We had opportunity to talk about the limitations of his cartridge. I cautioned that on the big moose he wants to hunt that he needed to become a hunter rather than a shooter. I urged him to restrict his shots to 150 yards or less on moose as we just can't wring the velocities necessary for to ensure longer shots. He is a good lad, however, and I believe he can become quite a hunter. He and his sister Jael have asked when I'm up their way if I could take them hunting. This is a great family; they drive approximately two hours to attend our worship services. I don't hunt their area but about twice a year. However, if I can get these younger hunters into good game, I might be willing to make the trip. I've hunted moose and black bear in their area each year for at least the past five or so years. Blkram used to work that area, but he is working elsewhere now.

In any case, it is really neat to see the pride each of these experienced when they held their own ammunition for the first time. Very neat to be part of this.

Mike,

Nicely done sir! Your knowledge and passion is being shared with some lucky folks.

JD338

Great stuff Dr Mike :mrgreen: you have the same press as I do as well :grin: I like it as you can leave rigs set up in it with out moving anything keeping loads consistent ! I an fixing to order a extra turret as well! I wish we were close as it looks like you would be a great teacher as I am a new loader myself but getting the hang of things !

I actually prefer to use a Forster Co-Ax press for most of my own loads. However, when introducing others, I don't send them to buy Forster dies--RCBS and Redding are more readily available in our area. If they are really wanting to jump in with both front feet, I'll direct them to an arbor press. Otherwise, any of the single stage presses will work just fine.

Great job Mike, like you I enjoy passing along my knowledge whether it's reloading, fishing, shooting or hunting.

Are these mainly First Nation's hunters who, in Canada in some regions, are allowed to subsistence hunt for their and their families provisional needs in the Wilderness? I would think that this would be a very valuable skill set for these kids to learn as they approach adulthood and leaving school?

We have a few First Nations people in our area. Yes, Nahum holds a Red Card. His family is dependent on what he and his siblings harvest. If I can serve as a grandfather figure to encourage these fine children, I'm honoured. Many of our First Nations people are going into oil and gas production for income. Still, hunting and fishing are valuable skills for northern Canada.

Outstanding Mike.

Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with them, and for sharing the story & photos with us.

Guy

Very good stuff Mike! Way to go buddy! That is the way to lead them from the front!

Hope to see some great pictures of them kids when they are able to hit the range. Sounds like they are all well equipped for Northern Canada!

Guy Miner":yjzqogez said:
Outstanding Mike.

Thanks for sharing your time and knowledge with them, and for sharing the story & photos with us.

Guy
+1. Well done, sir.

Good going Mike. Looks like a small reloading store or a medium sized man cave you got there.
Russ

russ808":ubt020vv said:
Good going Mike. Looks like a small reloading store or a medium sized man cave you got there.
Russ

That's better stocked than any store I've seen in recent times!

Good work Dr. Mike.

I like to be ready for whatever might come in. I usually have something at hand for most cartridges.

As others have stated, well done. And the influence you have on others will go well beyond just reloading.

Long

Dr. Mike, teaching people is part of your life. I know that your love for people is what fuels you daily. Thank you for sharing this, it is exactly what we need to do to help another generation learn & appreciation the outdoors here in Canada.
I can't wait for another story or 2 from you when that Grandson of your comes back to DC for another visit :)

Blessings,
Dan

Back