Reloder 16, 125g Partiton, 6.5 Creedmoor load data

hainleym

Beginner
Dec 28, 2016
I have been looking for 6.5 Creedmoor load data using Reloder 16, Nosler 125g Partition and CCI #200 primers out of 22" barrel. I have seen the QL info of 45.4 grains with 105.4% case capacity @ 62300 PSI. I have seen load data of 44.4g with Sierra 130g BTHP. So I decided to load 44.5g under the 125g Partition. I noticed that the powder came to the top of the throat. I tapped the case and it moved down a little. I am wondering if I should just pull what I loaded and reload them starting at 43.5 grains or are compressed loads safe. I am looking for ~2950 fps for these bullets. Is that possible or just drop the load down to a non compressed load and not worry about it?

Compressed loads can make an individual uncomfortable, but no one should be intimidated by a compressed load. As TackDriver284 states, a drop tube may resolve the problem. At various times, I've held the funnel against the mouth of the case to ensure that no propellant spilled over, and then used a glass rod or a silver spoon to gently tap the side of the case to settle the propellant. With most "stick type" powders, one can readily load to 112% of case volume. Others have used a mouse sander to settle the propellant in the case.

I will try to find one in the Denver area. I looked on the big box store sites, they don't list them. I would prefer to buy local but if I cant find one here I will order one online.

Thank you for the info.

hainleym":sqty98qs said:
I will try to find one in the Denver area. I looked on the big box store sites, they don't list them. I would prefer to buy local but if I cant find one here I will order one online.

Thank you for the info.

I made mine.
kMk6QvXl.jpg

The Long drop tube definetly helps. I ordered one also. Just emptythe powder into it slowly and it settles very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you only load 44 grains, or so you have some loaded up lower?

For safety's sake, I like to load up one each and work my way up to whatever my max velocity is, then try for groups after I've found max. I'd personally probably load up one each at 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5, and 44 and see how fast they're going. Quickload isn't always right on how much powder it takes in a certain combination, but I do trust it to be close enough on what velocity should be at max pressure.

I think I am going to revert back to using H4350 and save RL16 for a later date. I have good know load data from multiple published resources and I have 4lb's on hand. Thank you for all the good info.

Back