7mm08 120 prohunter flatbase

Michael C. Smith

Beginner
May 24, 2016
Opinions on this bullet vs the120 nosler ballistic tip. Pushed at around 2800fps. Will be used for whitetail in Alabama from 35 to around 150 yards. A big bodied buck around here will be around 200 does will avg.100. Mostly high shoulder shots

Thank yall Michael

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Michael C. Smith":1a44dvow said:
Opinions on this bullet vs the120 nosler ballistic tip. Pushed at around 2800fps. Will be used for whitetail in Alabama from 35 to around 150 yards. A big bodied buck around here will be around 200 does will avg.100. Mostly high shoulder shots

Thank yall Michael

I’d probably use whichever is the most accurate in my rifle Michael. I do like that 120 Ballistic Tip. It’s what I load in my daughters 7-08 and it’s great at 2200 and just as great at 3100.

Either will work fine for whitetail at velocities you list. I've used a lot of Sierra bullets over the years, and they do work quite well. Likewise, the Ballistic Tip delivers the goods.

Scotty,Dr.Mike thank you. I kinda figured that is what yall would say. Going to load up some of both and test this weekend. Will see which one comes out on top.

The 120 Ballistic Tip has the same jacket and base as the 140 gr Ballistic Tip. It's not really a "varmint" bullet for 7mm. I've loaded the 120 sierra in a 7mm rem mag and shot a couple of coyotes in years past, it acted like a varmint bullet.

My daughter has been shooting the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter in her .260 for years with excellent results on deer. Her closest shot was about 50yds and her longest has been around 240yds with most being 150-200yds. The bullet has always performed well and i've only recovered a couple and they were under the skin on the off side and in a nice mushroom. I'll have to look but I think I posted it in the bullet reviews. I don't think you'll have any issues at all with the yardages you listed and the size deer you're hunting. We've never tried the 120gr BT but I've honestly seen nothing but positive reviews on that bullet as well so i'm sure it would do the same. As mentioned, i'd shoot which ever one is the most accurate in my rifle. Mike

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Bruce's comment made me wonder, has anyone loaded and shot the 120 BT through a 7Mag for accuracy or terminal effect on, say, a deer or coyote? I know it's a stout bullet but just curious how it would hold up at an increased velocity.

Ron

Stephen, who posts here time to time as Roysclockgun, loaded the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips for both his 280, and his wife's 7-08 and used those bullets with excellent results.

The hunt I was on with them in 2012, they took four shots and notched four tags: two antelope, two mule deer.

Later his wife went on to use those 120's from her 7-08 to take something like 7 hogs in one day!

Ya, I'm impressed with that little bullet.

Guy

Thanks guys for the replies. I am going to load some of both and see what they will do!

I used the 120 tip in my XP100 in 7MM benchrest. sub inch and 120 barnes X shot same POI.
those tips were great on deer @ BR velocities. Took a few boar with the 120 X"s.

A former occasional poster here and a regular poster on the "Texas Predator Posse" - "Bob in TX" used the 7mm-08 and 120 Gr BY's with great effectiveness on Deer and several manner of antelope. If I recall correctly the 120's use the same jacket as the 140's. The are rumored to be a tough but reliably expanding bullet with exceptional accuracy potential. I have no second hand info on the prohunters.....CL

Hard to beat the consistent accuracy of the Sierra FB. I’d use that one without hesitation. They just flat out shoot.

Hard to beat the consistent accuracy of the Sierra FB. I’d use that one without hesitation. They just flat out shoot.

We settled on the 120 bt out of my boys 7mm08. Whit shot this cull 5 point Sunday afternoon. The deer was about 70 yards and wouldn't present a broadside shot. Told Whit to put it on the base of his neck. So I whistled to get his head up and he squeezed the trigger. The deer dropped at the shot and that was it. Very large wound channel into the body cavity I couldn't find the bullet. Was very pleased with the bullet performance thanks for yalls help.

Thank you
Michael
f7e9925a40793143a98819e876846266.jpg

Excellent. Congratulations to the lad who handled the rifle; he kept his cool and did what was necessary. I'd say that he has had some solid instruction. Congratulations all the way around. I know he must be proud of his buck and to have had the opportunity to hunt with his dad.

DrMike":1fe5ulct said:
Excellent. Congratulations to the lad who handled the rifle; he kept his cool and did what was necessary. I'd say that he has had some solid instruction. Congratulations all the way around. I know he must be proud of his buck and to have had the opportunity to hunt with his dad.
Thank you DrMike. Yes the confidence in themselves to make there shots is really good. Two weekends ago we went to our friends range. We have a one inch steel plate hanging at 100 yards. Whit used the 7mm08 and hit the plate 4 out of4 times. His twin brother Brady used his Moms Thompson center venture in 243 to hit it 3 of the 3 times he shot at it. They shot around 20 rounds each that Saturday from 7mm08 243 and 6.5 creedmoor. It really builds there ability and confidence. The both hit the 4 inch plate at 200 also. I am very proud of them. Brady killed a doe Saturday afternoon with his Moms 243 the first deer killed with it. The deer was around 100 yards he was hunting with a friend of mine. 95 gr hornady sst factory ammo. I haven't started loading for it yet. It shoots great with the factor stuff. High shoulder shot deer went about 20 yards. This was his longest shot on a deer. He was very excited! The guy in the pic is the friend of mine that took him so I could take his twin brother. This was his first deer without hunting with daddy. They will be 11 at xmas. I also want to thank all yall on the forum for all the help yall have giving me with my reloading and questions!
d90abc89148ebcbcc70e1e42de893630.jpg

It is just great to see the young men (and young women) who have successfully hunted. Congratulations to all who take the time to both teach and then to enable these young hunters and huntresses to pursue this wonderful sport that enriches our lives so very much.

The happy Mom and Dad and both boys and our miniature blue heeler Ziva. She is 9 months old and I am teaching her to track deer!
9570bfa575338869ca976f9916836a5d.jpg
0feb36a0d15cdd9fd65fc9c3bf707fdb.jpg

Back