Case annealing

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
What have you found to be the least hassle free method?
any " store bought" models worth the price in hassle reduction?

I use the MAP gas torch, deep socket in a cordless drill method. Heat and spin until it just starts to change color and remove from heat. Don’t over do it. No need to dunk it in water. I’ve never ruined a case. Probably not the best way but it works for me.

There’s a few YouTube’s out there. I think the one I liked best was from a fellow in Australia.

I just use a deep socket chucked in a drill over a propane torch. I tempilaq 3-5 cases and get an average for how many seconds they need to be in the flame and then go to town on the rest. I only ever do 20 cases or so at a time. It would be a bad time to do hundreds that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Annealeez about two years ago now. Very simple machine and it did require a little tweaking for some of my cartridges but it was very simple stuff. It’s very decently priced and works like a champ. Sometimes I do 100 cases and sometimes 10, doesn’t really matter, I just drop em on there and go.

I put a cordless drill in a vice with a short extension and socket. I use a small propane torch with light flame, it usually takes a 4 second count to get the result I'm looking for.

I've done both quenched, and not dropping them in water. Personally I feel I get more consistent results by quenching them.

I've been using a ballistic edge 2 torch machine for quite a while now . I'm pleased with it . I've annealed different ways over the years , and thought I could tell inconsistencies in my brass . with the machine there all the same . if I only have a few to anneal it seems to take longer to get the annealer going , than it does to actually anneal them . once you're set up you can anneal a bunch in no time . I don't water cool my brass . water cool didn't seem to add anything to the annealing , other than the need to dry the brass

Candle... Yup. From John Barsness:

"I use a method perfected by my friend Fred Barker, who writes for some gun magazines, including Precision Shooting. Fred found that the normal annealing methods used for years made the necks too soft, as they normally involved heating the brass to red-hot then quenching in water.
Fred is a retired metallurgist and developed the following:
1) Light a standard wax candle.
2) Hold the case halfway up the body with the tips of your fingers.
3) Heat the neck in the tip of the candle flame until the case is too hot to hold.
4) Wipe the front end of the case with a wet towel (paper towel will do) which finishes the annealing process AND cleans off the candle-flame soot."

Guy Miner":1azcyh6a said:

"I use a method perfected by my friend Fred Barker, who writes for some gun magazines, including Precision Shooting. Fred found that the normal annealing methods used for years made the necks too soft, as they normally involved heating the brass to red-hot then quenching in water.
3) Heat the neck in the tip of the candle flame until the case is too hot to hold.
4) Wipe the front end of the case with a wet towel (paper towel will do) which finishes the annealing process AND cleans off the candle-flame soot."

I like that. Gonna try it. Can’t beat simple.

I use a Temp-Stik and the method listed above. Do a few scrap cases until you get the time correct, ditch the stick and go to town.

I may have a few of the sticks in the shop if you need one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Anyone ever tried the salt bath annealing? Looks like a good system, very controllable temps

I also use the Annealeez. They are not that expensive in comparison to others out there and gives you consistent results without taking all day. Very simple to use.

I read were some one used ceramic beads in a lead pot to achieve the same as the salt bath.
Also sand for making glass could be used.

Guy Miner":2fhvzv97 said:

I have also used John barnes candle method and works really well. I use a torch now, but still hold half way down the case and anneal until it gets two hot to hold. Has worked very well for me the last couple of years.

Back