180 CT Ballistic Silver Tip

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
So I bought 2-boxes of these to load up in the 30-06. 8) Anyone see any difference in these compared to the regular BT ?

Is there any gain in velocity, groups sizes or cleaner bore?

Thanks,
Don

I tested 130 gr BT's in 270 win against 130 gr CT's out to 500 yards. The only difference I saw was that at 500 yards the BT's dropped 3 inches more then the CT's. I cannot really see any difference across the chrono and I guess the coating makes them a little "slicker" thus the slightly less drop.

Jimbeaux

I'll be anxious to get some loaded up soon to head to the range. 8) Will report back later.

Don

I finally got to put some loads together today using my new Forester Bench Rest die set.
My load has 58.0 H4350 powder with CCI-250 primers. I have loads with three different seating depths to start the process. Anxious to get to the range now. All my loads didn't shoot worth a darn after getting it back from the Smith last year. :shock: Found the stock screw torque value was less then 30-inch pounds. After setting them to 35-inch pounds the gun did well with the old stand by 165 BT load. We will see how it goes with this load now. Report back later.

Don

DON":15ucdivm said:
I finally got to put some loads together today using my new Forester Bench Rest die set.
My load has 58.0 H4350 powder with CCI-250 primers. I have loads with three different seating depths to start the process. Anxious to get to the range now. All my loads didn't shoot worth a darn after getting it back from the Smith last year. :shock: Found the stock screw torque value was less then 30-inch pounds. After setting them to 35-inch pounds the gun did well with the old stand by 165 BT load. We will see how it goes with this load now. Report back later.

Don

FYI - Nosler lists 56.5 grains of H4350 as MAXIMUM for the 180 gr bullet & 30-06 cartridge.

You're at 58 grains with a 180?

Guy

Hey Guy,
Yes I'm at 58.0 with H4350. I have the bullet seated out pretty far with this load as I do with the 165 BT load. When I developed the load, using once fired Win. cases, I never have had any pressure signs at all working up to this level. I've shot it in cold temps and up to 85-degree temps with no pressure signs either way. This load clocks at 2788 fps. For right now I need to see what it will do with what I have loaded. I just want to get it refined to shoot well. If it means reducing the powder charge, then so be it. I'd be happy with 2700 fps, long as it groups well for hunting.

Don

Back