Weighing primers

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Does anyone here weigh primers?

I have meet some long distance shooters that grade their primers.

I scratching my head. At 3.1grains in my Winchester large rifle primers, how much could they vary?

I didn’t ask, but I suspect they are using a scale that has an additional unit of precision if not more.

When I weigh bullets, I put them in groups of like weight, and I should groups of same weight together.

So if you do weigh primers, could you share:
1) general reason for doing it
2) what does it take to measure them well?
3) what do you do with primers that are different?
4) tell us any question I should have asked and didn’t know I should

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never weighed primers but I am more concerned with how hot they burn and that will make a difference in accuracy.
If they are thinking they weigh more or different from the amount of propellant in each one I would think that is a waste of time since there can be a difference in alloy metal weigh and thickness of the metal then propellant weight.

You are thinking like me. Hence the questions...

I never weighed primers, I think its a waste of time to do so, there are other variables more important to look into than weighing primers.

Old thread but I will chime in as I have:
I started as a QC measure.
Weighed
Unprimed case
Primed case
Charge
Projectile
Completed cartridge. (And between each step)

I saw some variances so:
Weighed group of primers and divided by number of to get average weight.
Still saw variance, so:
Weighed each one it explained the qc. variance.

Went a step further weighed spent primers (small group for load development)
I noticed differences in mass consumed by combustion.
I seem to recall a high school chemistry experiment involving the mass consumed and the energy released. Probably with magnesium tape.

Inquired and found out they do make match grade primers. Not sure how much it matters...

I’ve been told match grade primers are made on the same machines as regular primers, but the operators running them are their best... vs an average operator.

I use both match grade and regular primers. Some loads it really seems to matter.

My guess is taking out a variable in the equation. All things equal SHOULD produce like results. Cases, bullets, primers, powder, weighing the same, loaded the same way to same exact tolerances.

I weigh all of my primers and sort out the lightest of the bunch. These I use them to load ammo for my light-weight rifles where every microgram counts. :>)

Charlie-NY":2q383652 said:
I weigh all of my primers and sort out the lightest of the bunch. These I use them to load ammo for my light-weight rifles where every microgram counts. :>)

:mrgreen:

Back