Load development for Rem-Hart_30-06

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
The search for accurate and potent hand loads for the Rem-Hart 30-06 has been somewhat challenging and I have many less than stellar targets that I will not bore you with, however I feel pretty good with the results shown in the following photos.
This photos shows both 180 Accubonds and 180 Ballistic Tips at shot 100 yards with four shots of six clustered together in approximately 0.500". Accubonds were fired in once fired cases, the Ballistic Tips were fired in new cases.
IMG_6054.JPG

This photo shows the 180 Accubonds (same batch as shown above) shot at 200 yards at NYDan's farm today, in a 1.490" group.
IMG_6052.JPG

This photo proves that a Blind squirrel does occasionally find a nut.. I have not been able to duplicate, or approach this level of accuracy since shooting this group.
IMG_6053.JPG

NYDan has been a great mentor and advisor assisting me along my quest for bug hole hunting loads for our upcoming Montana elk and Mule deer hunt. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome. Rol

I’ve had much better luck getting 155s, 165s, and 200s to shoot out of my 30-06s than the 180s. That’s been my experience with 4 different 30-06 barrels.

The best results I had with 180s was with Ramshot Hunter, but the results in Louisiana heat and Kansas winter were different enough that I put it on the back burner.

Funny that the bullet weights just skip around the 180s!

If I wanted to test a 30-06s accuracy potential I would start with 165 grain Custom Competitions and either 59 grains H4350 or 57.5 grains IMR4350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I forgot to mention, those groups are very acceptable for hunting muleys and elk! You’ll have no problems because of the group size.

I’m with Joel. I think you’ve got a winner there with either load.

Surprised at the RL22, but the speed looks great and accuracy is real nice as well.

Rol
Looks like you have a good load there.
Reshoot to verify the load and go hunt!

JD338

With groups like that just makes sure your knife is good and sharp.

You're good to go with those groups. When a mulie or an elk presents itself, you'll have to start the work of dressing your animal, because he'll be down. Good work, Rol.

Guy Miner":2ndh6hp3 said:
OU812":2ndh6hp3 said:
With groups like that just makes sure your knife is good and sharp.

Great way to put it! (y)
Fantastic groups that you should be more than pleased with. Elk and deer are in serious trouble. I happen to know a fellow (me) who could/would if you wanted put dangerously sharp edges on your hunting knives for your season!!

Hope you don't mind Rol_P, I rotated your target pictures for you. Good work, I'd say your set!

joelkdouglas":3w2qyyex said:
If I wanted to test a 30-06s accuracy potential I would start with 165 grain Custom Competitions and either 59 grains H4350 or 57.5 grains IMR4350.

(y) Somewhere around 57 gr's of IMR 4350 with a 165 in a 06 is one of those time proven across the board good loads.

A little off topic here but what was your overall experience with Hart?

I have a rifle that’s been waiting for a re-barrel and want to use Hart due to their locality and past reputation.

BTW - I have three 30-06’s that I reload for which use 180g PTs over 58-62g of RL-22.

How many rounds do you have through that barrel?

Back