Imr 4350 is it going bad??

tyson22250

Beginner
Nov 8, 2010
Recently required a whole whack of IMR 4350 all same lot number AUG 29th of 94 L6560. Powder was stored in maybe colder condition then should have been but seals were not broken. Some of the tins on top side have wee bit of rust. I opened a couple up and they still smell good, put some on a paper towel and no dust to see no rust on inside of containers ,any thoughts if it’s good or starting to go bad? I think it’s still good to use cause of smell and not rust present on inside. I’ve never dealt with older powder. One guy suggested it’s just some graphite coming off the kernels as that’s the original kernel colour.

Thanks

Attachments

• CACB377C-41EB-47E0-9291-A35E62AE6BF3.jpeg
    CACB377C-41EB-47E0-9291-A35E62AE6BF3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,319
If it was going bad the smell would just about knock you over. I have a can of 4227 that went bad and I knew it the second I opened it.

No some of them are a gold colour it’s not rust or though. Another guy says it’s just the graphite wearing off a bit.

tyson22250":2r2rh0k6 said:
No some of them are a gold colour it’s not rust or though. Another guy says it’s just the graphite wearing off a bit.

Okay just checking my eyes.
I had checked my oldest can of IMR-4350 and didn't see any signs of gold tint.

This is from my personal standpoint/experience and is by No Means an expert opinion. If it doesn't stink and roll your eyes when you smell it, it's probably just a side effect of prolonged storage. I would be far more worried about a powder store in too warm/hot/humid conditions, than one stored in colder.

Me? I'd use it and not think twice.

Looks good to me, shoot it. I have some powder, IMR 4895, that was pulled down from military ammo from the very early 1960s that is still as good today as it was new. it came in 8lb plastic jugs and was cheep. Still shoots within what to different lots of the same powder made today will.

My only concern would be if it will burn consistently. Especially different containers. Otherwise use it.

I'd use it I had a can of IMR 4831 that did the same thing from back in the 80's it shot fine ..

Good reason to buy a crony if you don't have one already, to make sure your loads with it are running the same speed as fresh. It is a good safety check for other reasons anyway.

I am using some of my Grandad's powder from the 60's or earlier and it still has the same velocity. They are ball powders tho. I had some 4831 from his WWII surplus buy that was rusty. It shot okay when I tried a couple of starting loads, but looked awful and I didn't want to have it sitting around getting any worse if it didn't have time to shoot it. I Put it on the lawn. The powders that have kept well are H335, Dupont 6, and WW 500HS. Have some discontinued old Norma stick powders too, but they are such a small quantity it isn't worth the trouble to work up a load, since I can't get any more.

IMR 4350 is a great powder for 30-06.

Back