Whatcha Think!

highoctane

Beginner
Apr 20, 2018
I was gifted several pounds of IMR 4831 and 4895 yesterday. This powder has been sitting in a metal box for a good many years. Not really sure how long or the conditions.

When I opened the box all the powder cans had red rusty tops. I opened a can of each and the powder smelled and looked alright. No acidic, vinegar or muratic acid type odors.

However, after opening a couple other cans I have noticed, on a couple, the inside of the can has rusted a little. I have heard of these metal can rusting on the inside before.

I have poured some of the powder into a white Cool-Whip bowl and have found no red flakes, or anything that would lead me to think the powder is going bad.

I have also poured some out and it burned just as energetic as usual. Really bright and instant flame.

I guess my question, what do you guys think about it?

20231028_200550.jpg

I have used some of the same powder in the same cans that had a slight rust color on the inside of the lid without any problems. Was just one can of each and was used fairly quick. Never had an issue with them. If the inside doesn't look like the outside of yours, I'd try loading up 4-5 and light em off. Dan.

Seems to me the condensation trapped by your metal storage box caused some corrosion that was working its way into your powder containers. Doesn’t read like it made it very far though so I vote to use that powder!

I'm with RL and XP. If it looks and smells fine use it without worries, and if at all possible move it to a clean empty container.

I've used powders in old cans given to me with rust on the inside of the can. What I discovered with the first can is that pouring it out, then the remainder back in when done, and doing that numerous times is that the powder acts like an abrasive on the inside of the can and loosens up the fine rust.

All of a sudden I was getting dusty, rusty looking powder that was fine before. Shining a light in the can showed me what was happening. From then on any cans that looked like that were poured once and done into a clean container. No problems with it.

Too bad you don’t have an empty 8lber laying around and move the powder to it.
If it smells good and looks good I would use it , as with any powder change start low and work up.
yes, and rust is inert. imo like adding cream of wheat for fireforming. should just fire out. i have IMR that is 'no telling' how old, and it shot fine 5 years ago. 4198 and 4895. i'm gonna go look inside the can now lol.

yes, and rust is inert. imo like adding cream of wheat for fireforming. should just fire out. i have IMR that is 'no telling' how old, and it shot fine 5 years ago. 4198 and 4895. i'm gonna go look inside the can now lol.

I found a tab on one can that someone had put 1996 on, powder is 27 yrs old, or at least that can is.

I found a tab on one can that someone had put 1996 on, powder is 27 yrs old, or at least that can is.

I shot this 4064 that was given to me with no issues, still have a little bit of it left. The can is in great shape and it did not have rust inside at all, but it's an OLD can of powder. I have not shot the 4320 yet, it's an old can also but based on the looks of it is not as old as the 4064.

I agree with the others, load those powders up. I would start low and work up.
On a side note, I started shooting trap after a 35 year break. I'm loading my AA hulls with 700X which is 35+ years old. I've shot hundreds of shells this summer with out a single hiccup.

JD338

Update, I loaded a few rounds of the IMR-4895 for my 7-08 yesterday and headed to the range.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results. As you can see it shot well. No chronograph numbers, but nothing wonky happened with the powder.

One good thing, this load shot same POA as my Varget load that I use now

20231102_122752.jpg

42 grs IMR 4895, 140 gr Sierra Gameking and WLRP

Back