25 Cal. 115 BT's Differences

D21ALASKA

Handloader
Oct 29, 2013
Anyone ever seen this? 2 different boxes of 25 cal. 115 grain Ballistic Tips that have completely different measurements and look other than weight and greatest diameter. This new box seems to have a much slower taper, thus pushing the ogive forward and giving me a shorter oal by about .026". That and a much more pronounced tip on it. It wont change my jump as I load by the ogive measurements but hopefully won't change my pressures too much as this is a great load for the rifle and would hate to have to rework it again.
796612b4076a62af06a55276770f20a8.jpg
0059dd2f320c41829fec69db58b87554.jpg
89c6802ed906efdb9bc8ccc6f5bcd39f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wvbuckbuster":2sysk7iz said:
I haven't seen that much difference. Are these standard or blems? Dan.
They're standards.

One of the complaints I've raised regarding Nosler about only packaging 50 per box, for primarily that reason. I have 2 boxes of partitions here where the new box measures .055 difference to the ogive. I would hope that's an extreme example.

Till you try some different charge weights with maybe 1 powder or 2, then confirm what appears to be a good load, you've burned through a box of 50 easy. That's all fine and dandy in a world with no changes.

ShadeTree":2rk0hiy2 said:
One of the complaints I've raised regarding Nosler about only packaging 50 per box, for primarily that reason. I have 2 boxes of partitions here where the new box measures .055 difference to the ogive. I would hope that's an extreme example.

Till you try some different charge weights with maybe 1 powder or 2, then confirm what appears to be a good load, you've burned through a box of 50 easy. That's all fine and dandy in a world with no changes.
It's strange. Not sure how there's so much difference in their manufacturing. Luckily I just tested these rounds and nothing has changed. Didn't check speed but POI and grouping is the same. You're right in that it would be nice to have the option to buy larger quantities to ensure that they're from the same batch. It's obviously why we buy powder that way. I'd definitely buy 500 at a time for certain rifles that I shoot a lot, this being one of them.

Quite a variance in them for sure, not sure what that's all about????
Not sure what Harvard MBA, explained to them to package their product in a fancy box but only put half
as many in the box????
But can tell you this much............. They have never sold me a box of 50, and never will.
I shot the solid base till they changed it to the BT, then as soon as they went to the "50/Box Scam" I switched immediately and have never looked back. The BT is a good bullet, no doubt about that. But that marketing certainly soured me forever on box of 50 anything!
Looks like they are changing it again??? Stand by for the
New and Improved version soon to be released for same
price as the old ones: in boxes of 25.........

Did you shoot these at long range? I would be willing to bet that the more sleeker bullet will shoot flatter than the other one at longer ranges because it will fly better. Yes I like Nosler bullets but they have gotten too expensive for me to shoot often. I have a stash of what I have worked up loads with for hunting and keep them just for that. Give me 100 to a box and lower the price and I will shoot them more otherwise Speer and Hornady with a few Sierra have been what I have been using lately. Sierra has also gotten proud of their bullets with their price also.

1Shot":381y84v0 said:
Did you shoot these at long range? I would be willing to bet that the more sleeker bullet will shoot flatter than the other one at longer ranges because it will fly better. Yes I like Nosler bullets but they have gotten too expensive for me to shoot often. I have a stash of what I have worked up loads with for hunting and keep them just for that. Give me 100 to a box and lower the price and I will shoot them more otherwise Speer and Hornady with a few Sierra have been what I have been using lately. Sierra has also gotten proud of their bullets with their price also.
I have not shot them long yet no, just at my 100 yard range in the yard. I'm out of the sleeker ones now anyways so is what it is. Next time the pro shop has them in stock I'm just going to buy 500 probably since I'm pretty sure when they get them in they're from the same batch so will hopefully avoid the issue for awhile.

The ones I have look similar to the more rounded one on the left.

I got a bunch, around 400 or so, in the 50 per box package when a retailer had a big discount of 30 or 40% a number of years back. Got about 100-150 left but don't think I ll pay for the smaller qty box of 50 like others have said. It's too bad but the BT needs a little better pricing and a revamp on its BC in my mind.

Nosler is charging closer to premium prices on their standard bullet. Hornady and Speer much better buys and Sierra even beats Noslers pricing. Those makers all have better BC s too.

frankm":b2gas4ix said:
The ones I have look similar to the more rounded one on the left.

I got a bunch, around 400 or so, in the 50 per box package when a retailer had a big discount of 30 or 40% a number of years back. Got about 100-150 left but don't think I ll pay for the smaller qty box of 50 like others have said. It's too bad but the BT needs a little better pricing and a revamp on its BC in my mind.

Nosler is charging closer to premium prices on their standard bullet. Hornady and Speer much better buys and Sierra even beats Noslers pricing. Those makers all have better BC s too.

Nosler needs to pay attention to this. Most of us can do simple math and can quickly double the price in our heads that's on the box to compare to 100 per box of other brands. LGS's either have no Nosler bullets or very few because they stock what local people are buying.

I understand premium prices matching premium bullets like Accubonds and Partitions. But BT's are a cup and core bullet with a plastic tip. There is no reason they are priced 50% higher than Sierra, 65% higher than Hornady, and 100% higher than Speer. And there's not a deer walking that would argue the difference hit with the same weight bullet.

I try to support them where I can, and I want to, but I also have a responsibility to try and spend money wisely. I'm small potatoes, but have over 1 thousand 30 caliber hunting bullets on the shelf and around 800, 6mm hunting bullets. Nosler makes up less than 10% of that and not because I think they're a poor bullet.

If they would bring back the old plain jane solid base, or a similar bullet and price them competitively I would buy them up like gold and so would a lot of other people.

In my opinion they don't need to be changing there bullets without letting people who use them know there has been a change .

Shade Tree,
Your comments are very accurate description of how most folks with common sense would look at how Nosler is
actually "shooting themselves in the foot" with this ridiculous marketing technique that they can get folks
To believe a Nosler Ballistic Tip is worth double what the
Compition charges for the same product........... I would guess there is some percentage of loyal fans "label shoppers" that do pay the premium for them, However, if I had to guess I would say, they lost a huge part of that " middle ground" market to Hornady, Speer, and
Sierra......... Now a Partition is a different Animal, they will command a premium price.
This really is same old story, of a great Company with great product , convinced that they can charge double for their product, Simply because of their name .......... It won't fly, and may really come back to bite them badly for the blunder.
E

E, this is not intended as a Nosler bashing thread, but doggonit some things need to be said. This isn't something that just popped up on the radar with me but has been that way a long time and I just refrained from bringing it up.

A single call to complain to customer service would mean nothing, but maybe on a public forum it will.

I'm just addressing their pricing on standard bullets here as that is what I buy and shoot almost exclusively.

I can go right now and buy 30 caliber 150 grain Federal Fusions which are a BONDED PREMIUM BULLET, for 20% LESS than the same bullet in a BT which again, is CUP AND CORE. And that's not a sale price. 50 per box same as Nosler. The 100 per box is currently unavailable, if they were available that price would be even cheaper. Someone please explain that to me with an explanation that resembles reasonable logic???

I believe they are a good company with a quality product, but so are several others. As a firearm enthusiast, I WANT TO fully support them. But a producer/customer relationship is a 2 way street where both sides feel good about a transaction. One side should not have to offer Patriotic support, then walk away feeling like they're being hosed.

In the current environment if this was disinfectant, or masks, we were talking about instead of bullets, it would be labeled as price gouging.

I'm begging them to make me feel like money leaving my pocket is money well spent. Right now with plenty of other choices we are worlds apart in that regard.

Rant over.

Yikes -well not to pee in the cheerios but...- I have shot Noslers for years because they generally work, accuracy wise and I need a 100gr .25 cal bullet. They have never failed to drop a game animal for me. One shot. My experience is limited compared to many of you so my "sample" size is not representative.... That said, I wish they would make a 75gr as cheaply as the v-max in .25 cal. or an 87, or the 85CTor PT. or better yet a 110 BT. But that's just a ".25 don't get no respect thing", or the suddenly all important BC # question.

That V-max, though a little hard to find (maybe there's a reason?)is almost the same price for 100. I'm lousy at math but I have more of them than I do 100gr BT's.

And if I shot 115's or any other Nosler, and the product changes, a simple notice on this board would have been nice if the profile/ construction has changed. Most everyone here is a loyal enough Nosler shopper in some form, and heck maybe a change of profile would work better for some one. We have been known to buy stuff just to try it out..... :wink: CL

CL

OneShot.
It's not really bashing to have enough b+lls to bring it up.
I think most of us have been very loyal to Nosler for decades. I certainly was. And this subject has nothing to do weather Nosler makes good bullets or not. They DO.
I am sure many folks on here feel the same way we do,
But are too darn polite to bring it up, on here.
I switched entirely to SSTs years ago in 7 different calibers
for Deer loads, I would say that amounts to around 75 boxes of bullets........... The SST bullets have nothing inferior to BTs, they shoot as just as straight in my guns, and usually have a higher BC. So I guess that is roughly around $1500 plus retail of potential business from one person: that went to the compition because
I simply won't pay double for the BT bullets. (That would have been a $1000 more had I bought Nosler BT's) If anyone reading this ,thinks they are worth the price of admission then go for it ......... But it doesn't work for me anymore....
We will all know the minute Nosler listens, true confirmation will be; the quantity will go back to; 100 in the box, and price remains same as it is now........ This is same thing as StarKiss Tuna
Coming in a 5oz can nowadays, or a 12oz box of cereal.
Sad but true. Ditto on Speer 120gr vs BTs in .257 caliber, half price, Higher BC, unequaled performance from any bullet, on deer sized animals. Simple as that.
Be good and never be afraid to speak your mind, this is still America, land of the free, home of the brave.ak1ds-6096~2.jpg
E
PS. IMHO, Nothing on the market will kill "deer sized animals" faster, or more effectively, than the SST bullets
regardless of price.

Pretty good thread. Since it is sorta slow right now, I compared a couple different bullets of the same class, just to see how much there was.

.257 Hornady 110 ELDX - 32.39

.257 Hornady 117 SST - 28.16

.257 Sierra 117 BTSP - 32.63

.257 Nosler 115 BT - 35.58 (2X boxes to equal the others of 100 count)

You can definitely see Hornady stealing the show for price, but darned if Sierra isn't trying to keep with Nosler in price these days.

Cool thread and good discussion.

I would like to see Nosler offer the Ballistic Tip in 100 round boxes as well so they can offer them at a somewhat better buy for us. They already offer the ABLR in 100 round boxes so why not the Ballistic Tip too? They are a more complex bullet to build than a standard cup and core with the heavy jacket and polymer tip so I would expect them to be a little more expensive. They are more of an intermediate bullet anyway, not at the level of a "premium" bullet but at the same time a step above a standard cup and core bullet.

Scotty, not to beat a dead horse but check out a more in demand caliber like .308. On midway the 125 Sierra PH is $31 per 100, and 125 Nosler BT is $23 per box so $46 per 100.

150 grain Nosler BT is same price, $46 per 100.

150 Hornady Interlock $28 per 100.

150 Sierra P.H. $30 per 100.

150 Hornady SST $36 per 100

150 Speer H.C. $23 per 100.

That's where I came up with the 50% higher than Sierra, 65% higher than Hornady, and 100% higher than Speer.

I got .308 150 Hornady I.L on sale last fall for $22 per 100, and 150 Speer H.C. for $19 per 100. Nosler was still trucking on at $46 per 100.

Back