22-250

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Got this rifle and really haven’t done much with it.
Had a chance to try some heavier bullets yesterday and wasn’t happy with the results.
Got on the net and got to reading about the 1-14 twist not being good for heavier bullets so went up today with some lighter stuff.
Seemed
1bafc88f32a66fabcc5497ea95b75589.jpg

to really make a difference.
d65279616e3594e483cdb3e29caa95a6.jpg

7c28cff43b5be61bbdaf0f08ff63dbfc.jpg

920e6163ab6fed23197df597d20b8fd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Have a M700 w/ 26" 1/14 twist. shoots 40 grain tips 1/2" for 5 shots. H380 stiff charge. 4,029 FPS.
What varmints are you targeting?

Like Frankm said, 55's are about the limit, and not all guns will shoot all 55's. I got one that will run the 55 gr v-max's pretty darn good really, but that is a flat based bullet that is relatively short.

ShadeTree":13cppc4n said:
Like Frankm said, 55's are about the limit, and not all guns will shoot all 55's. I got one that will run the 55 gr v-max's pretty darn good really, but that is a flat based bullet that is relatively short.
How fast are you pushing the 55's?

lhsako":klxup44k said:
ShadeTree":klxup44k said:

I'd have to dig notes out to give exact numbers, but 3650 give or take a minor amount of fps on either side of that.

I'm using 36 gr's of IMR 4064. Just shot it again this past Friday.....4 shot group was low .4's, 6 shot group was 5/8". Well worn barrel on a mauser action. Not a 1 hole'r but will still give the average groundhog or predator a very bad day.

That said it tends to shoot the shorter 50 gr Speer flat base just a tad tighter using 36.5 of 4064.

ShadeTree":30u3pg9t said:
lhsako":30u3pg9t said:
ShadeTree":30u3pg9t said:

I'd have to dig notes out to give exact numbers, but 3650 give or take a minor amount of fps on either side of that.

I'm using 36 gr's of IMR 4064. Just shot it again this past Friday.....4 shot group was low .4's, 6 shot group was 5/8". Well worn barrel on a mauser action. Not a 1 hole'r but will still give the average groundhog or predator a very bad day.

That said it tends to shoot the shorter 50 gr Speer flat base just a tad tighter using 36.5 of 4064.
Thanks ! that's great accuracy, decent velocity with a 55 in the 1-14"/ 26 tube. Good old 4064 ! accuracy in a bottle.

lhsako":s92z7dto said:
ShadeTree":s92z7dto said:
lhsako":s92z7dto said:
ShadeTree":s92z7dto said:

Thanks ! that's great accuracy, decent velocity with a 55 in the 1-14"/ 26 tube. Good old 4064 ! accuracy in a bottle.

Ihsako, that velocity is with a 24" barrel. I verified what I told you and it's averaging right at 3650. Yes 4064 is a good powder...….not always any better than something like 380, but in some examples can be very accurate and I like that it tends to be less sensitive to temp swings.

The statement I made about it shooting the shorter 50 gr speer better is no longer accurate. I made that statement based on the total number of and size of, best groups between the 2 previously. Since doing some additional work to the rifle and some additional testing, the 50 gr speer's can't hang with the 55 v-max's for overall group size and consistency. The 55's are working.

Understood. Thanks for the clarification. H380 is my accuracy powder for the 40 tip. Will try 380 and 4064 w/ the 55 v max. If it shoots. coyote medicine....

Ihsako, don't want to take over this thread, but since it was already discussed I wanted to add more information for you or anybody else that tries this load, more info is never a bad thing when it comes to reloading.

A. Both the throat in this rifle, and the Mauser magazine allow me to load out to a length of 2.445 which is .015 off the lands. With the 55 v-max I'm just below the neck at that length. If for some reason you have to stay within the 2.350 max length, your case capacity of course would be less.

B. This rifle came with a headspace issue that I get around by creating a false shoulder for fireforming. End result is a case with the shoulders blown forward more than standard, again resulting in slightly more case capacity.

Just a few things to keep in mind. If you have a minimum chamber or are loaded significantly shorter, you may not get to the 36 gr's before showing pressure. Hodgdon shows 36.3 gr max using a 55 gr Speer, but primers in my rifle are just starting to show a light feathering of the start of a crater, at 36 gr's.

I'm using Win cases and CCI 200 primers. The last time I shot this combo again, it produced a 3 shot cold bore group of .286, then later I shot 4 more shots, that group measured .336. Worth trying to see if it will work in your gun.

ShadeTree":3hzb0zgu said:
Ihsako, don't want to take over this thread, but since it was already discussed I wanted to add more information for you or anybody else that tries this load, more info is never a bad thing when it comes to reloading.

A. Both the throat in this rifle, and the Mauser magazine allow me to load out to a length of 2.445 which is .015 off the lands. With the 55 v-max I'm just below the neck at that length. If for some reason you have to stay within the 2.350 max length, your case capacity of course would be less.

B. This rifle came with a headspace issue that I get around by creating a false shoulder for fireforming. End result is a case with the shoulders blown forward more than standard, again resulting in slightly more case capacity.

Just a few things to keep in mind. If you have a minimum chamber or are loaded significantly shorter, you may not get to the 36 gr's before showing pressure. Hodgdon shows 36.3 gr max using a 55 gr Speer, but primers in my rifle are just starting to show a light feathering of the start of a crater, at 36 gr's.

I'm using Win cases and CCI 200 primers. The last time I shot this combo again, it produced a 3 shot cold bore group of .286, then later I shot 4 more shots, that group measured .336. Worth trying to see if it will work in your gun.
Very helpful/ Info is the fuel of this forum ! I suspect that the lead core composition and/or jacket hardness varies between manufacturers. This can also cause higher pressures when all else is equal.

I had a 1/14” as well, 40-52 was sweet spot. H380 was my favorite powder. I have a 1/12, tried to make it shoot 60 partitions, just won’t do it. Now I’m thinking about a carbon barrel, faster twist.

Does more twist mean more pressure?

Alderman":1qvg1kul said:
Does more twist mean more pressure?

Many variables involved. Would be interesting to find out if any ballistics lab has tested it. All other factors being equal of course.....

Back