100 grain or 120 gr. 6.5 BT's for WT's ?

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
Was wondering out of a 22in. 6.5 creed which I should use for deer. Deer here run about 125- 160 lbs.

Thanks,
jr1968.

We have done well with blacktails using the 120 gr BT that are smaller than your deer so that would be what I recommend. It will give you more mass than the 100's but still open really well.

If you are going to use a 100 gr in a .264 caliber you might as well use a 243. I would go with the 120.

I loaded some 100 gr BT at starting load of H4895 for a grandson and he killed 3 deer with them from 40-100 yards. One shot kills with big holes. He grew up some so moved to the 120 BT at top end loads and never looked back. Either works. If I was using the 100 gr weight I'd go with a PT. Just my 2 cents. Dan.

I would also recommend the 120. The 100 will work but you really need to load it down. Ballistic Tips need to be below 3000 fps on impact or they really come apart. In my experience no matter the caliber the BTs do their best with impact velocity 2800 fps and under. I have killed a bunch of deer in your size range in east NC with the 120 BTs out of a 6.5x55 starting them out at 2950 fps. The 120 Sierra Pro Hunter also works great. One other bullet that is AWESOME in the 120 gr is the Speer Gold Dot. I am running it a little slower than the Creed can 2550 fps in a Grendel but it is a AWESOME deer killing bullet. The 130 Nos. AccuBond is also a super deer bullet but I am running it a 3350 fps out of my 264 Win mag.

I have used the 120 BT from my 264 Mag at 3400 fps on antelope. A few went down. One shot never recoverd one.

I would step up to the 125gr Partition or 129 LBLR/130 AB. Running up on or over 3000 fps, a close in shot would be tough on a bullet. Not to say that I haven't seen the 120 BT put a bunch of big Missouri WT on the ground in my dads 260 but safe is better than sorry.

Another vote for 120 ballistic tips. Awesome deer bullet in the creed, my daughter has taken two antelope and six deer with them, ranging from 80 to 200 yards, perfect performance every time. 130 AccuBond would be good too, I'll be loading those for my coues deer hunt this year. I've had poor luck with with the ablr, tremendous meat damage and slow killer, I'd take a regular AccuBond or ballstic tip over those any day for shooting animals.

Tobey284 I believe you will like the 130 AB. As I previously said I am running it in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps and even on shots on deer as close as 25 yards it reacts the same as one shot at 500ish yards. It goes in takes out the vitals and exits with about a nickel size hole even through both shoulders. I have shot over a dozen white tail with this combo and all were DRT with most dropping in their tracks. The one that went the furthest staggered in a spinning circle and fell about 5 yards from where impact was. I have recovered only one bullet and it came from a big buck shot at 111 yards that was almost facing me with a left shoulder angle. Impact was on the edge of the left scapula bullet then penetrated all the way length wise and was found against the smashed ball socket of the right ham when processing. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. In my experience the AB is the best of both worlds. It flies like the BT and starts to open up like it but holds together like the Partition and keeps on trucking through game.

I have not used any LRAB but from what I read others experience with them are is that most people trashing talking them are running them too fast for the shots they are taking. It is like the magnum shooters running Ballistic Tips over 3000 fps impact velocity and then complaining about the bullet blowing up or destroying too much meat. I have learned over the past 40 years of hand loading that you have to pay attention to bullet construction and velocity they are designed to work within. I have heard great reports about the 129 LRAB from people shooting game with them in the 6.5 Grendel but velocity is around 2300 fps way down to 1400 fps or so impact.

I used alot of the 120 bt in a 260 rem several years ago. It's a fine whitetail bullet, and I never recovered one either. 130 AB is also another fine bullet in the 6.5's. I have no experience with the 100 gr bullets in any of my 6.5's, so I dont really know much about them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My daughter has been using the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter with H4350 for years in her .260 with excellent results in both accuracy and performance on deer here in southeast NC. No doubt that the 120gr BT would give equal results. We've never tried a 100gr bullet in her rifle so i can't comment on those.

I’ve used the 100 grain for Blacktail deer out of a 6.5 x 55. Worked fine but I see no reason not to move up to a 120 if they shoot well in your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too would go with the 120 gr BT.
The 129 gr ABLR and 130 gr AB would also be excellent choices too. My wife is running the 129 gr ABLR in her 6.5 Creedmoor and it's hammered some deer. One ran about 40 yards spraying blood and the others were DRT.
I've taken one deer with the 130 gr AB out of a 6.5 Rem Mag, the buck was DRT.

JD338

Back