7mm 160 gr AB

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
7mm 160 gr AB's from a 280 AI recovered from water jugs
280AI160grABrecovered.jpg

JD338

I'll all within my power to post a 160 grain AB from moose and/or elk, Jim.

Nice, here are a couple of 160's coming from my WSM at 3000 at the muzzle. Scotty

DSC_2894.jpg

DSC_2893.jpg

Mike,

I am sure you will be able to put one in a moose or an elk. The question is will you be able to stop one in a moose or an elk. :grin:

JD338

I suspect that on a moose, it will require a reasonably long shot to recover a bullet. In all my years of shooting with the 7mm RM, I recovered one 175 grain TBBC from a shoulder shot at 225 yards.

SU1BRzAxNjguanBn.jpg

SU1BRzAxNjkuanBn.jpg

Both of these 160 ABs are out of a 280 AI @ 3150 ish.
The one on the left is out of the Chem jug test. Went through 2 and 1/2 of them sideways (about 30") and weighs 95.5 gr. The one on the right was recovered from a buck @ around 400 yards and weighs 115 gr. The shot was an extreme quartering away shot due to a poorly placed first shot at a closer range. The bullet entered the last rib, and was found under the hide in the front of the chest.

Good thing you called me out of that scotty :oops: 3150 is what I was getting with the 140 BT. I was getting 2950 with the 160 AB.

jmad_81":xpqk8bpu said:
Good thing you called me out of that scotty :oops: 3150 is what I was getting with the 140 BT. I was getting 2950 with the 160 AB.

Wasn't trying to call you out buddy. Just thought this might have been one of Woodycreeks loads! Scotty

Wow you had my 7mag looking slow there for a minute. I'm feeling better about it again. :grin:

Corey

160 AB @ 600yds.
Estimated impact velocity: ~1890fps
Retained weight: 123.6 or 77%

I had 5 jugs the first time around but I was holding high thinking it would drop down into the back jugs. Well, I hit high right on the shoulder and the bullet glanced off the shoulder of the 4th jug.

Second time around I held center mass and that got it done. The bullet actually penetrated the plastic of the 4th jug, but ended up back in the 3rd. Pretty decent shrapnel in both front jugs. The pieces shown were in the bottom of the 3rd jug with the bullet.

This round killed 3 antelope does(90-312yds), my wife's mule deer buck(180yds) and a whitetail doe(278yds). Impact velocity on all of them was mid to low 2000s. Performance was exceptionally consistent. All were heart/lung shots with most hitting at least one shoulder. I found game response to be very consistent as well; they all jumped and then ran/stumbled 10-40yds before hitting the dirt. No DRT kinda action, but all were through and throughs with plenty of blood coming out both sides. Works for me :)

100_1353.jpg

before.jpg

after.jpg

Great test. It certainly lends confidence to the bullet and its performance on game at longer distances.

This is the load that I had my barrel built around and to say that I've been pleased with its performance, both on game and at the range, might be a bit of an understatement :p

And of course as soon as I think I've got my ideal load they come out with the long range AccuBond which looks like it will do everything this load does, ONLY BETTER :twisted:

Back