Hunting experience vs. wall hangers

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Just interested in what motivates some of you folks.

I've a friend who has offered his advice on my going elk hunting again. His take was I should move on and tackle other game instead of my upcoming elk hunt this Fall. Mostly because I have one decent elk. Not a record book bull but, approximately 300" (maybe 290") and harvested free range. Since I have a good one on the wall his recommendation is New Zealand for Red Stag. Of course I would love to do a hunt like that and see New Zealand. While not on my radar it is on that list somewhere.

My take on hunting is a little different. For one thing I treasure "experience" as much as anything. Even if that experience is not good, it is however, part of hunting. My hunt this Fall if successful would produce a 280" bull, maybe 300 to 320 if really lucky. And while I would jump at that opportunity for a larger bull, that is not what's driving this hunt.

For me growing up and living where elk are not present hunting them is something I want more of. Sure, it would be nice to have a bunch of outstanding trophies on the wall and I have a few. My goals in life are to also have some experience in hunting that I currently do not have.

Saying that, I'll never have the same level of experience hunting elk as those that have been hunting elk for 40 years. It is not reasonable for a flat lander like me to achieve that at my age. Still, I would like to get more time in the mountains going after them and mule deer. For me it's not filling out a list of different game animals that have a minimum number of points or inches, it's about gaining some experience in areas that interest me.

My attitude does not make me right and him wrong. Just different strokes for different folks.

Agreeing with you. I don't have a checklist I need to complete. Elk are amazing! Great choice to hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too dream of more exotic game but there is only so much time and money. What ever sacrifices it takes I always make it elk hunting. Just something about it, can't seem to shake it.

Oh, most of them over near 50 years have been spikes. Every one a trophy in my mind.

For me, it's all about the experience. It's a lot less trouble to buy beef... But nowhere near as fun as hunting!

Mostly I hunt our local mule deer. I'll be after 'em again this fall.

Do I like to hang antlers & such on the wall? Sure! But I really like the hunt... All of it. The planning ahead of time. Getting together with others. Then actually doing it! Afterwards, particularly if successful, I enjoy sharing the stories and the well-earned meat.

Am waiting, not real patiently, to see what hunting opportunities I may get from the Washington draw, but am already planning to hunt, and have tags for: deer, bear & elk. Of course I always get a cougar tag, just because.

Guy

I'm in line with those posting to this point--I'm in the hunt for the experience. Time spent afield with good friends, seeing the game in their native habitat, seeing the interaction with other animals--these are the aspects that make a hunt for me. I have no trophies, having agreed with my lady many years ago that she would not complain about my frequent hunts (and fishing trips) and I would not bring home trophies. It has worked for me. Consequently, I've given away all the pelts and skulls from many bears, all the antlers from numerous ungulates and the hides from a number of other animals. I don't feel any particular loss since I have pictures of many of these animals and I do have the memories that made each hunt so memorable.

Guy Miner":2727ig7y said:
For me, it's all about the experience. It's a lot less trouble to buy beef... But nowhere near as fun as hunting!

Guy

Yep, Me too, 100%

I know I will catch heck for this post from those who will think it is not in line with others, but I know that Charles will not be offended by my differing comments

We do not do wall hangers, as we use every part of the animal in one way or another and hanging something on the wall does not bring in any income or help with the cost of living in a variety of ways. We also dont do it for experience, as even at my young age, I feel that I have enough experience to adequately hunt any animal in our area. If your talking about experience as creating memories, then yes without a doubt, something different happens on almost every outing. We enjoy what we do or we would quit doing it, but in all honesty all our time afield is work in one way or another, either working for an income or working to supplement an income, even if that is just bringing home the bacon so to speak. As far as wanting to hunt other locations. Africa is really the only other location I would like to hunt someday, as we have a pretty wide range of animals here to hunt ( caribou, deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, three different types of bears--white, brown, black, wolf, walrus, buffalo, muskox, whale, seal, and a variety of small game and fowl ) But a lion, elephant, and two or three different Africa plains game animals would be fun to hunt someday. And it would also be fun to drop down south and hunt speed goats with Fotis, as I hear that Wyoming is just like the Yukon only different.

Not sure if this is directly related to the answer you're looking for...but it is what your post brought to mind for me.

I spent my entire childhood daydreaming about hunting elk...I mean hardcore...I live in, and grew up in East Tennessee. No elk there until the last few years...I had this idea of what elk hunting in the west was like. I thought it would just be me and the elk in the wilds of Montana...no other hunters for miles around, that kind of thing, I also never imagined it would cost what it does to hunt elk for a non-resident....young, and naive as I was, being a low income farm boy who had no idea of how crowded hunting was and is.

When reality sank in, I was pretty disappointed for a while...a couple of years actually...then it hit me...I was and am still blessed that I live in some of the best public and private land whitetail hunting in the country, and for just the price of a TN resident hunting license I can hunt deer all I want without worrying about getting drawn, travel expenses, the price of the hunt, or any of that...I just get a license and go.

Western non-resident big game hunting is simply out of my price range...so I'll spend my hunting funds here in the Southeastern US, hunting what I, and many others believe, to be the hardest to hunt quarry in the US...mature whitetail bucks roaming free on crowded public and individually owned land.

All that said...one should hunt what, when, where and how they want and can afford...if you like elk hunting (as I'm sure I would), I say hunt them every chance you get.

salmonchaser":3s8kv68i said:
I too dream of more exotic game but there is only so much time and money. What ever sacrifices it takes I always make it elk hunting. Just something about it, can't seem to shake it.

AMEN! Same here. I wanna take a griz and a moose but elk is where my heart really is.

Oh, and I hunt for the experience and pride that comes from hunting with the best elk hunter I've had the privilege to be around. We do it the hard way and make it fun.

I am excited I do have a bull tag this fall though :mrgreen:

First, your friend's opinion is just that; his opinion.

Second, what, when, how, where and why you choose to hunt is your choice, and yours alone. As long as your choices meet your needs and desires is all that matters. And we will support you in this (or ought to), as you would support us in ours.

We all have our bucket list species or hunts. And we should not have to justify them to anyone else. As long as we can plan for and participate in those (according to our budgets), we will have something to look forward to and cherish afterwards. We only get one chance to live our lives; we need to be able to live without regrets.

For some, it is the quality of the trophythat use to determine the success of their hunt. While others use the quality of the adventure and the experience to determine the success of the hunt. Others use the memories of the time, place and family and friends to call it a success.

When and where possible, for myself, I enjoy being able to share the harvest, or parts of it, with family, friends and community members. Heads, hide, meat and internal organs can all be used for food, tools and clothing. I also enjoy keeping and using various parts of the harvest in my home, whether it be a mount, the hide, skin, pelt or tail-fan, as decoration so that I can see, feel and recall that animal and experience on a daily basis. A picture is great too!

Enjoy your elk hunt! There is truly no more exciting hunt than the bull elk in the rut! The sights, sounds and smells will get you pumped like no other...well maybe less than a charging grizzly, but without the fear factor! LOL

Some excellent responses and Cheyene, you know me well, not offended in the least. I always enjoy your perspective on these things. We all approach hunting from a different angle.

The friend I am speaking about is a close one and he means well. He's older than I and tries to impart some of what he has learned in his many years of hunting. It works for him but, I would feel cheated if I did not spend more time in the Rockies chasing elk. One day and one never knows how soon, it will not be possible to hike up mountains. I could never hunt one again and point to the wall. Yeah, I could do that but, I would be much richer if I had more time glassing, tracking, stalking and all the other things that make a elk hunt what it is.

There are hunts that I want to do and most likely if lucky to do one, it might be it. That's OK too, just for my purposes I want some more time afield after elk. Anyway, my goals don't always fall in line with other folks and that is fine.

Gil

that is an EXCELLENT post and I agree with you.

I enjoy the posts you and Cheyenne make as it shows an entirely different side to "hunting". Earle, Hodgeman, and Salmonchaser brings still another view to "hunting".

Charles, for myself, I didn't even need to kill an animal to enjoy the time with my family, father, husband, children, grandchildren. Many of the best memories I carry with me does not even involve the animal, the memory was created on a hunt.

Wall Hangers, meat, memories, they all tie together for me. Guy;s grizzly hunt recently and his kindness in going into such great detail about the hunt brought back fond memories for me.

There are hunts we have been on that the fishing, or the canoeing or the bird hunting or a camping experience ended up being a more memorable memory to me than the big game animal that was taken on the same hunt.

However, if we stay with just hunting, then I think the Grizzly on Kodiak, lion in Africa, and Dall sheep hunts would find themselves ahead of Elk hunting for me, but the last hunt I was on was an Elk hunt with my grandson on an Indian reservation in Arizona and it was a very memorable hunt.

And I have said this before but nobody seems to be listening as I notice everybody heads to Oregon, Weahington, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado to Elk hunt. Dont discount hunting those magnificent animals on an Indian reservation in Arizona

So do I think you should give up your elk hunt because you were already on one---only if you want to, but if you want to go on this hunt then do it, enjoy it and if you prefer to do it again after this one, then do it!! Best of luck big guy.

I always hunted to provide sustenance for the family for as long as I can remember and it was a way of life to a point. When I finally found stead work were I could support my family with out relying on my guns and fishing rods to provide the meat for the table I started looking for bragging rights trophies but had a hard time passing up meat on the table.
If a trophy bull presents itself to me this fall I will take it but won't pass up any to just get a trophy since it's not in my nature.
I do love to be out in the woods and mountains and watch the wildlife go about their daily routine which I also find very gratifying and consider it just as successful as scoring on game.

As a young lad I always hunted with my Dad as long as he was able. Small game first, then Whitetails when I was old enough. Enjoyed those days very much, and wish that I could have them back.

It was after my parents passed and family responsibilities were behind me, I booked my first elk hunt in 2013, consulting with an old college friend we decided to go guided and stay in a lodge. Good choice as we were both in our mid sixties. Upper Canyon Outfitters Alder MT.
We had a great hunt that year, each seeing elk and I tagged out. I have since been returning to the Upper Canyon on an annual basis, tagging three elk, two bulls and a mature cow, in 4 years.

The meat is frosting on the cake, but I have had great experiences each year, having become friends with my outfitter and guides. They are my extended family and they treat me as such from the moment that I arrive until departure. In 2014 I saw animals but did not pull the trigger due to uncertainty of one shot, and the deer was a fork horn mulie that my guide wanted me to eliminate from the gene pool. It was early in the morning the last day and we were after elk and I did not want to spook any elk that may have been in the area. My guide made an entry in my journal that year "Roland taught me a much needed lesson that it's about the experience, not the kill"

We buy very little beef now, preferring the elk, and share it at Church functions and with friends.
Friday was elk burgers for the Youth at a planning session for their mission trip. Today was two pans of elk lasagna for a pot luck brunch following the service.

Interesting post and and an interesting topic.

Different folks approach hunting differently. I to hunt local critters, while I like to think about chasing the big game of the world- I really like hunting the same areas and the same animals year after year. Perhaps it's "volume"...since I hunt 60-80 days a year, but I tend to think of it as "depth".

You learn something chasing and observing an area as the season moves from high summer to winter and watching their behavior change along with the landscape and watching animals do the same thing every year or when they change patterns...figuring out why.

Some guys want a laundry list of critters in the living room that they may know very little about- I tend to prefer a more in depth approach to it.

hodgeman":dr1rzbz1 said:
Interesting post and and an interesting topic.

Different folks approach hunting differently. I to hunt local critters, while I like to think about chasing the big game of the world- I really like hunting the same areas and the same animals year after year. Perhaps it's "volume"...since I hunt 60-80 days a year, but I tend to think of it as "depth".

You learn something chasing and observing an area as the season moves from high summer to winter and watching their behavior change along with the landscape and watching animals do the same thing every year or when they change patterns...figuring out why.

Some guys want a laundry list of critters in the living room that they may know very little about- I tend to prefer a more in depth approach to it.

There is much of this post I agree with, although I am well aware that many will disagree, I agree with Hodgeman. My "depth" of hunting is even larger ( his reference to days in the field ) and as I posted earlier, the only other place I would like to hunt someday would be Africa. the elephant is larger than anything we hunt and although the lion is faster than the Polar Bear, it is not as large and they will both will eat you. The cape buffalo is more likely to charge you but is not as large as the wood bison. Those of us who have been face to face with a pissed off Grizzly or Polar has also known the fear factor. I am not criticizing those who have obtained a laundry list of animals from around the world, my friend April has done so. I am just saying, I agree with Hodgeman and if I tire of hunting Caribou, we go sheep or goat hunting and to me that provides an entirely different hunting experience and enjoyment. Plus sheep meat is good table fare.

you and hodgeman make an excellent point Cheyenne and you, Hodgeman, Gil, Dr Mike, Gerry, Earle and a couple others, I can understand how you guys feel. I can not even image hunting 80 days a year ( and more in cheyenne's and gil's case) or to have the smorgasbord of big game available to choose from for so many days per year. When I visited the N.W. territories I felt like Guy when he drove through Canada to Alaska. You see game everywhere.

Charles, the short answer is to each his own. If you want to hunt Elk every year for the rest of your life, you should do so.

I am maybe a little bit different as when I go Moose or Elk we are definitely meat hunting all the way :wink:. I have been hunting both of those species for over 45 years and to date I have shot more than my share of animals and have only taken one bull Elk and to date I have never taken a bull Moose :shock: and only have shot at one once :mrgreen:.
Now Mulies, Whitetails and Speed goats I do try to get a very mature Buck unless we didn't get our Moose or Elk that year.

Blessings,
Dan

Well, the meat is important to me - absolutely. I dearly love serving nicely prepared wild game & fish to my friends & family.

Frankly, I'd just as soon shoot spikes & cows the rest of my life. No room for big bull antlers here at home. One set is enough. I dunno how I'm going to deal with that if I ever make a return to The Northland for big moose & caribou... Am sure I'll figure out something...

Ya - the experience.. Dang. Camping in, and hunting in the arctic for nine days... That was something really special to me. That I managed to take a couple of arctic animals while I was up there was the proverbial "icing on the cake" so to speak. Taking game enriched the experience. I came to realize though, while glassing fruitlessly for three days, that I'd be fairly well satisfied if I came home without a grizzly...

Though I was wondering what I should sell, to afford to come back in September and try again! :grin:

It truly was something special, spending time in the Brooks range, hunting. I'd like to come back in summer, with a fly rod and a backpack, fishing for grayling. That would be quite an adventure too! I've always enjoyed trips to Alaska & Canada (and one trip to Norway, above the arctic circle) but I'm afraid that now I've fallen under the spell of the arctic and am doomed to roam that way again.

Guy

Back