Hiking with my Cat/Dog Ari!!!

longrangehunter

Handloader
Jun 19, 2011
Most people have hunting Dogs, I have one, a English Labrador Zuri, but I also have a well trained hunting Cat named Ari.

Yep, this wonderful Feline on a average day takes down two-three mice everyday like clockwork, last Wednesday she got five mice now that the snow/rain knocked down the 3' tall grass! Now if that isn't enough she can hike 5 miles over rough terrain, and up/down steep mountains, and a lot better then I can since she's only 2 1/2 years old, plus a lot shorter going under the brush, and tree limbs! Not your average Cat either, listens better then most dogs too!

It's a real crack up when hunters see me with my Dog in front, and Cat in tow behind me! Well Here she is in all her glory!

Attachments

• IMG_0703.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0703.JPG.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 870
That is too cool, Cole! What happens when you run into other hunters with dogs?

Allen

So far that hasn't happened, we don't live in a area used by Hunters with Dogs, most if not all are Elk, or Deer hunting, and/or maybe Bear hunting. She's used to Coyotes chasing her, and knows how to run up a tree and/or defend herself. She got caught up with a Bob Cat two weeks after I got her last year that torn up her hind leg while running away....... so she got schooled up pretty fast this isn't Fair Chase, and she has her wits about her 24/7.

Besides, my own Dog is very protective of her, and frankly, so am I!

Ok, I've never owned a cat but Ari is one cool looking cat. That is pretty good looking country your in too.
Great story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty neat that she listens to you so well, most cats aren't like that at all. How were you able to get her to listen so well? I would love to take our cat with sometimes but she would get so distracted chasing mice and birds that I would probably never get her back :)

gerry said:
That's pretty neat that she listens to you so well,

he trained her like you train a good wife--love, understanding and patience, patience, patience

cool cat and story Cole,

Longrangehunter, By any chance is that a Maine Coon Cat? Their very strong cats and can handle themselves quite well against a bigger adversary.

Europe":3smie6z7 said:
gerry":3smie6z7 said:
That's pretty neat that she listens to you so well, most cats aren't like that at all. How were you able to get her to listen so well? I would love to take our cat with sometimes but she would get so distracted chasing mice and birds that I would probably never get her back :)

he trained her like you train a good wife--love, understanding and patience, patience, patience

cool cat and story Cole,
Actually Ari began taking short walks down my driveway (1/2 miles long 1 way) w/Zuri and I, and started to go further and further with us. She doesn't really get distracted, both of these Pets are great at seeing and/or hearing things I might not have picked up on, and have helped me spot game.

Instead she chooses to practice running up different trees going down the driveway, but once we take a hike backcountry she doesn't ever really do that since she realizes we're making tracks in a hurry and she better keep up!

Now April, your post is very funny!! Yes that does help, but I teach my animals whatever might be useful for them to learn..... like what a mouse trap is, and don't touch it or else! I just show them how it functions in action..... that gets their attention! Zuri knows don't ever touch/sniff a Porcupine since we had very young one living here every Winter for the last three years. I just told her leave it, and don't go near it....... they eventually sniffed each other nose to nose once they became friends?

Most animals can be trained once they understand why, or what you expect from them...... but that's not a great way for a relationship with a woman having expectations!?! That said even Zuri, and Ari both have their own self will, and will do as they please on somethings. Ari never listens to me about bringing mice, or birds into the house, she just thinks it's super important that I see what she caught!

She just loves hunting down small game. She learned Turkey's are not going to let her hunt them down very fast! She's also seen a lot of Elk, and Deer up close. Anyway, she's smart, a great companion, likes watching TV on NatGeo when that's on, and I hope she lives a long fruitful life here with me!

diverdown":fpmmq0pa said:
Longrangehunter, By any chance is that a Maine Coon Cat? Their very strong cats and can handle themselves quite well against a bigger adversary.
I'm not sure, I found here online one day and went to the Spokane shelter to see her. She took to me and when a cat chooses you it's usually a good match? She does grow a mane during the Winter, it's just starting to grow out. She's not a huge cat like most Maine Coon Cats, but she could be, or a mix?

That is cool! I have an Ari too but he is a newfie! My cats are Hector and Sasha!

FOTIS":1cb0wlt7 said:
That is cool! I have an Ari too but he is a newfie! My cats are Hector and Sasha!
That's cool FOTIS!

Her name was Arietty when I went to see her at the animal shelter, and said no way am I going to use that name!

So during the hour drive home I just decided it would be a easy switch to just call her "Ari", and that's what stuck.

That's pretty neat. I have a buddy who has a cat that looks an a lot like yours. Might be the same breed. His looks about as big too. I think it's 12 or 13 pounds and isn't fat. Has a great personality.

That's a good question. If you get a grouse does she retrieve it for you and if she does give it to you :lol:

She's not a gun Catdog, and there's limitations to what a Cat is useful for! If she saw something go down and hit the dirt she would run up to grab it if Zuri didn't beat her to the punch simply because she hunts. Yes she's been around gunfire since I shoot weekly, but I don't care to have a deaf Cat.

This was about hiking with my Cat/Dog and not hunting with them, unless we are after Morel Mushrooms!

Back