Boundary Hunting Question

Zonynce

Beginner
Feb 11, 2019
Hey Guys,

I've read a lot about hunting boundary areas. Curious what insight you guys have in the following scenario:

Let's assume that I am hunting a unit boundary which has the same public national forest in both Units. A shot is placed on a deer or elk legally and within the unit boundary in which I am permitted. The animal then crosses the unit boundary, again, still on public land. Is it legal to track and retrieve the game?

I've been digging through the regs online and haven't found anything that covers the topic.

I'd probably check with a CO before hunting that area, but for sure after the animal was shot and before you went into the other unit to track it, I'd make another call to the CO. That's not a situation you want to have to ask forgiveness for after the fact when the CO catches you packing meat out of the "wrong" hunt unit.

+1 on the call to the authorities before tracking wounded game into other unit. And take pictures so proof of shot and wounded game sign in legal unit. CYA!

Also, would either not take shot on animal too close to boundary, or use a high shoulder shot to anchor animal in its tracks so that it cannot make it into other unit.

Most states have the same rule, or law when you're hunting specific areas, and boundaries.
If you shoot a game animal, it should stay in the area you harvested it.
A lot of law enforcement, or game wardens , will barrage you with questions, all the while sitting in the back of their vehicle.
Some will arrest you on the spot, and you will have to prove in court what you did.
If at all possible, it's just easier to harvest the animal in the specific area you are, or were hunting.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Well I have shot a Pheasant in Iowa and my Dog retrieved it from Minnesota. How did I do this shot it flying across a east west gravel road in Northern Iowa the State line.
Now for Big Game units most are roads rivers or ridge line. I would call a CO and ask him what he wants you to do.
In Iowa you are required by law to retrieve your game, and even on private ground you can go get it but you have to be unarmed retrieving of your game. You don’t have to even notify the landowner.

1100 Remington Man":1pd4x4y2 said:
Well I have shot a Pheasant in Iowa and my Dog retrieved it from Minnesota. How did I do this shot it flying across a east west gravel road in Northern Iowa the State line.
Now for Big Game units most are roads rivers or ridge line. I would call a CO and ask him what he wants you to do.
In Iowa you are required by law to retrieve your game, and even on private ground you can go get it but you have to be unarmed retrieving of your game. You don’t have to even notify the landowner.

Here in WA it is up to the land owner...if they say no, you can't retrieve it.

Back