325 WSM 180gn Ballistic Tip

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
This is the bullet from my buck this year.

325 WSM, 64.0gn H4350, muzzle velocity 2900 fps. Quartering slightly towards me, chest shot that deflected off ribs and ended in far side hip. Retained 103gn weight.

20170219_185803.jpg

20170219_185837.jpg

20170219_152127.jpg

Nice recovery.
Did the bullet deflect off the on side ribs or penetrate
the chest and deflect off the off side ribs?

JD338

You're going to convince me to try that bullet at that rate. I've used the 200 grain Partition for quite a few years. It shoots straight and hits hard, but I can see myself moving to a lighter bullet.

JD, it deflected off of on side ribs, though it is possible that the bullet may have encountered a twig a few feet before hitting the deer. Changed angle 30 to 40 degrees or so...

Doc, it is a "soft" shooting load. I could run the velocity up some more I suppose, or switch to a different powder and really cook. But for moderate range deer hunting, that load is much more than adequate, and it is very accurate.

It's neat that you are posting this, I was thinking about the 180 gr BT and the 325 WSM recently and wondering how they would perform. Nosler put a heavy jacket on that bullet from pictures of sectioned bullets I have seen. An underrated bullet and cartridge that should both be more popular.

Here is the cross section you referred to. Very stout construction compared to other ballistic tips.

.323 cal 180 Btip.jpg

ksubuck":3jkkx883 said:
Here is the cross section you referred to. Very stout construction compared to other ballistic tips.

I was not aware that this bullet was that stout! Pushing me hard to make the switch!

My 200gn AccuBond load over RL17 produces the same 2900fps muzzle velocity. Works on elk but tenderizes the shoulder a bit much. The BTip load is pretty smooth at that velocity and crushed that buck.

Doc, if I were you, I would but a little more wear on your barrel and try the BTip. :wink:

Just to convince you, look what that load will do...

325 WSM 180Btip 64.5 H4350.jpg

325 WSM 180BTip 65.0 H4350 again.jpg

325 WSM 180BTip 65.0 H4350.jpg

Did I mention it shoots real smooth??? :grin:

Fine groups, to be sure. My 200 grain AB load is reasonable, as well.

DrMike what is that old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it :lol:. But then again it is always fun to experiment and with you being a inquisitive Lad I could see you playing some more (y).

Blessings,
Dan

ksubuck":fv49sg9m said:

Look at that jacket! (y)

I ought to section one of my 165 grain .30 cal Ballistic Tip bullets. Doubt it's as heavy as that, but it's got to be pretty stout, considering the performance I saw this past season.

A lot of folks don't understand how heavy-duty the Ballistic Tips have become. They're good!

Guy

Back