1st round jam at tourney

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
I went to the pistol tourney a while ago, it consists of law enforcement and civilians mixed together shooting at three different human sillouette targets at the fastest time. I used my .38 Super and when it was ready for me to take the 1st shot in the beginning round and it just misfired and opened the slide and took the bullet out and let the slide go and it would not feed the bullets in the chamber like with the other different ball and hollow points I used before. It had never jammed on me. I reloaded those rounds and it is the Remington 147 grain M FMF flat nose bullet. I have only used 115-130 grain bullets before but not the 147's. Bullets look pretty long and I seated them the same OAL as the other bullets I loaded before. Clock was running until I switched to the Kimber .45 and lost anyway because of the Super jam and time running out. The .45 jammed once in the 3rd round using 185 grain Sierra match flat nose bullets. But overall I had made the best in points but not in time. :oops:

Do flat nose bullets have a tendency to have feeding problems?

Should I seated the 147's a bit more deeper to stop the jam?
Mark

Scary and Stupid!

I took the gun apart to check if the spring was out of place or anything that looked wrong causing the jam. I removed the spring and barrel, looked through the barrel,,,er,, I could see a bullet sitting in the rifling forward of the chamber. I used the Dillon, while removing a filled case, dumping the powder to weigh it and put it back in Station #2 and turned the thingy and added another brass to station #1 and a bullet to #3 and raised the platform to seat, etc and never even noticed that I skipped a powder charge. There was a lot of things going on in my head because this Dillon is brand new and just did not think about what I was doing at that exact time. I just was damn lucky that the bullet that was forced in the rifling by the primer charge was not further into the lands and that would have allowed the next bullet to be chambered behind it and you know the rest. Thank God that the bullet went in about a quarter inch into the rifling. So I weighed all my bullets to make sure and this was the only bullet without a powder charge. :oops:
Mark

Mark":268rxwsu said:
Do flat nose bullets have a tendency to have feeding problems?

Mark

Depends on gun Mark. My kimber eats everything!

Depends on gun Mark. My kimber eats everything![/quote]

POP, Nothing wrong with the gun, did you read the near accident I had with the gun at the tournament? I took out the lodged bullet and cycled all the flat nose rounds and it feeds fine.

Back