33 WCF, Questions

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
My friend inherited an old lever action in 33 Winchester. The logistics of making some cartridges for it is complex.

Assuming the tubular mag rifle is used as a two shooter, what pointy bullets would work? Hornady SST 200 grain is available. Some Cast bullets with flat nose are also. Any insights in how well these might work?

Have to either buy brass at $3+ each or make from 45-70. I have found 45-70 brass for sale.
The sizing, seating dies are scarce but I found a couple of sources. The dies for forming have been discontinued, anyone know of a source?
How likely will we be able to neck down using the sizing die only? Any modern dies that would be used for an intermediary step?

Anyone have modern load data? The stuff I have is from Phil Sharp and PO Ackley.
Does Quickload have 33 Winchester?

I will be following this. A buddy of mine also inherited one and so far no luck finding components.

Put a want to buy post on the 24-hour campfire site under classifies for the dies, brass and bullets you need. Never know, someone might just have what you need. Dan.

Found Hornady has some load data.

Redding makes a sizing/trim die for 45-70 to 33 wcf.
Good G2 on the Redding sizing/trim die.
Sounds like an easy straight forward solution for brass.

JD338

Dies are available.

Ordered some Speer 200 grain Hot Cor. Speer said the expansion should be okay and can seat deep enough to fit in action. Will be a two shooter with the Spitzer tip.

Hornady said their 200 SST wouldn't eject if unfired.

Someone must make a 338 flat point somewhere. The Speer should be good though for your 2 shot method. On YouTube North61 turned some 308 200 gr Speer Hot core's into a flat nose for his 307 Winchester. . Not sure if you want to go that route but it is interesting.

My friend mentioned he saw a youtube where they took the point off a Nosler Partition for the 33 WCF.

Don't have a lathe. Probably some other way around it. (Drill maybe) Some say a non Partition might leave the jacket in the bore.
???

Another question-

We have 10 pieces of fired brass with 3 different headstamps. No idea how old they are except his Grandpa passed in the 60's. I deprimed, quick soak in vinegar, rinsed, tumbled, sized and they look great. Plan to anneal before we load.

Any chance they were Mercuric primed?

Last edited:
Update

Made some brass from 45-70. We annealed once fired brass and tried to run it thru the standard sizing die. Took for ever, cracked the bench top from the force needed. Not really working, tho we got 4 pieces. Last ditch we ran the brass thru the seater die. That worked. Then the sizing die. Got a box of brass.

Then tried some new brass. that worked much better, but still needed to use the seater die first. Got a second box of brass.

Now to find a way to trim the brass.

Update

Made some brass from 45-70. We annealed once fired brass and tried to run it thru the standard sizing die. Took for ever, cracked the bench top from the force needed. Not really working, tho we got 4 pieces. Last ditch we ran the brass thru the seater die. That worked. Then the sizing die. Got a box of brass.

Then tried some new brass. that worked much better, but still needed to use the seater die first. Got a second box of brass.

Now to find a way to trim the brass.
Not sure I am understanding why running the brass through the seater die first is making it easier to form your brass. Can you post some pictures?

JD338

Not sure I am understanding why running the brass through the seater die first is making it easier to form your brass. Can you post some pictures?

JD338
The Redding seater die is the same shape as the sizing die, but larger, we took out the seater plug and adjusted it so the brass didn't reach the crimping part (set the bottom of the die about a nickel's thickness from the shell holder).

Also-
Don't have pictures as we did it at the in-laws. He had a tiny press. Dug out my Dad's old Herters press for next time. Giant cast iron. Will need to order an adapter for the shell holders from RCBS.
Buddy got the 200 grain pointy Speer Hot Cor bullets in the mail from Sportsmans Warehouse and we made a dummy round. Set the OAL at just under 2.8" to fit the magazine. It cycled thru the action. One time the lead tip was deformed a bit. Probably not enough to effect anything at the range the rifle will be used with open sights. Need to use my comparator to make sure the bullet isn't hitting the lands before we start charging the cases.

Next step is to come up with a cheap way to trim. Any ideas out there?

Last edited:
Back