Bass fishing in May

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
I haven't had the opportunities to fish a lot this year but I've done OK anyway. Early this spring I caught a 6 pounder. Then I went in May determined to catch a good mess of bluegills and perhaps a bass or two. I caught a few bream then I hooked into a good bass using a wacky worm on 8 lb nanofil line. It took awhile but I finally got her in, she weighed right on 9 pounds.
After that I couldn't concentrate on bluegills any longer and just fished for bass. I ended up with a good mess of fish.
The next trip my foot controlled motor died on me too far from the boat ramp. I ordered a new one but it took almost a month to get here. Planning a trip the new moon to try for those big bass again.

Attachments

• 9 pound bass.jpg
    9 pound bass.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 1,103
Beautiful catch. That portrays a good day stalking the piscatorial adversary.

DrMike":197wnl3i said:
Beautiful catch. That portrays a good day stalking the piscatorial adversary.

My bass fishing has become a lot like my deer hunting. I mainly go after the big ones now and often stalk them. I have found that a really large bass can stake out a core area of the body of water and defend it just like a big old buck. This can be either close to the bank or out in deeper water.
The problem is realizing what and where it is as no sign is left on the water to read.
Mostly a big one pulls or throws the hook a few times defining his area. Allowing you to finally target him enough you finally land it.

Back