Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:37 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:23 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
I was at my long range spot working on a load for my 7mm mashburn early spring this year . a pick up came into view so I stopped shooting . the truck was making it's way to me . I though great , the ground must have been sold and I'm getting the boot . a young fella gets out and starts talking guns and shooting . tells me about an area he and his Dad have set up that goes out to about 900 yards . I told him I can get 1600 here , but I keep getting interrupted . he tells me his place is back in a ways , and seldom see anyone . he gives me his name and number . it took me a couple months before I called him , I had a project going on at Mom's house I had to finish . we finally get hooked up . by now they have moved to another spot , and have a dandy range set up . it's a long range shooters playground . targets from 800 - 1600 yards . we are against a coal stripping job , that will be finished and backfilled this fall . when this is backfilled I think we can get 2800 - 2900 yards . we found a place we shot 2045 from a few weeks ago . last weekend we found a place to shoot 2375 . since we have been shooting 2000+ yards we put a bigger target ( 34" square ) beside the 1600 target (24"square) for the longer shots . here are a few pics .since I've taken the 800 - 1600 picture , we've added targets at 1090 , 1190 , 1240

Attachment:
P8300943_LI.jpg
P8300943_LI.jpg [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Attachment:
P8300939.JPG
P8300939.JPG [ 650.63 KiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Attachment:
P8300938.JPG
P8300938.JPG [ 667.67 KiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Attachment:
P8300932.JPG
P8300932.JPG [ 638.44 KiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Attachment:
P8010911_LI (2).jpg
P8010911_LI (2).jpg [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Attachment:
P8010910_LI (2).jpg
P8010910_LI (2).jpg [ 909.6 KiB | Viewed 1939 times ]


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:13 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 30093
Location: Northern Virginia
jimbires wrote:
I was at my long range spot working on a load for my 7mm mashburn early spring this year . a pick up came into view so I stopped shooting . the truck was making it's way to me . I though great , the ground must have been sold and I'm getting the boot . a young fella gets out and starts talking guns and shooting . tells me about an area he and his Dad have set up that goes out to about 900 yards . I told him I can get 1600 here , but I keep getting interrupted . he tells me his place is back in a ways , and seldom see anyone . he gives me his name and number . it took me a couple months before I called him , I had a project going on at Mom's house I had to finish . we finally get hooked up . by now they have moved to another spot , and have a dandy range set up . it's a long range shooters playground . targets from 800 - 1600 yards . we are against a coal stripping job , that will be finished and backfilled this fall . when this is backfilled I think we can get 2800 - 2900 yards . we found a place we shot 2045 from a few weeks ago . last weekend we found a place to shoot 2375 . since we have been shooting 2000+ yards we put a bigger target ( 34" square ) beside the 1600 target (24"square) for the longer shots . here are a few pics .since I've taken the 800 - 1600 picture , we've added targets at 1090 , 1190 , 1240

Attachment:
P8300943_LI.jpg


Attachment:
P8300939.JPG


Attachment:
P8300938.JPG


Attachment:
P8300932.JPG


Attachment:
P8010911_LI (2).jpg


Attachment:
P8010910_LI (2).jpg


Holy smokes is that cool! What’re you all using Jim, to reach out there? That’s very impressive stuff buddy!

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:10 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
Scotty , the pic with the 4 rifles . mine is the one pointed the opposite way . it's a stiller tac 338 action , jewel trigger , 30" 10 twist BBL , McMillan A5 stock , NXS 8-32x56 scope , chambered in 338 lapua . I'm shooting 300gr Berger bullets , RL33 @ 102.5 gr , FED 215 , lapua brass . I was getting 2939 FPS with my last 8 pounder of powder , in the heat around 90* - 95* . I just got into my new lot of powder , and the outside temp has dropped at the same time . I'm not sure if RL33 is this temp sensitive ( it never seemed to be ) , or if it's a combo of the new powder lot , and the temp cooling off ,my velocity today was 2844 FPS at around 70* . I really screwed up , I should have saved a little of the old powder so I could test with it . right now I could load 5 of the old powder , shoot over the chrony and know what is going on .

the chassis rifle nearest in the pic , is a 6.5 creedmore , bartlein bbl , it's a rem action , has a vortex golden eagle scope . he shoots factory hornady ammo .

the middle rifle is a ruger precision rifle in 300 PRC , athalon scope , only upgrade is a trigger , I think they said a timney .

the rear rifle is a savage , 30"bbl , athalon scope , he replaced the factory brake with a terminator , I put a trigger in it for him . he's using RL33 with 300 gr bergers . he is going to try the hornady
285 A-tips to see how they work .

the guy shooting under the EZ up in the blue shirt , is shooting a 243 , rem action , nikon scope ,looks to be a bell and carlson stock . he shoots 95gr bergers .

I have one of the rifles here at home . I'm going to bed the scope rail on and add some MOA to it . it's a 6.5 PRC browning X-bolt . he has a vortex scope that took a crap , so he is out of business for a little while .

the guy with the 243 , and the guy with the 6.5 prc are trying to buy savage rifles identical to the one in the pic . I guess they are about impossible to get right now . the third time I shot with these guys the other lapua showed up . now there's 2 more on order . HA HA

the little guns just won't shoot with the big guns . the 6.5 creed struggles at 1600 , the 6.5 prc does well at 1600 , except for the wind . on a calm day it holds it's own . the 243 usually doesn't shoot past 1200 .

they are a great bunch of guys , I'm glad they found me .


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:21 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 30093
Location: Northern Virginia
jimbires wrote:
Scotty , the pic with the 4 rifles . mine is the one pointed the opposite way . it's a stiller tac 338 action , jewel trigger , 30" 10 twist BBL , McMillan A5 stock , NXS 8-32x56 scope , chambered in 338 lapua . I'm shooting 300gr Berger bullets , RL33 @ 102.5 gr , FED 215 , lapua brass . I was getting 2939 FPS with my last 8 pounder of powder , in the heat around 90* - 95* . I just got into my new lot of powder , and the outside temp has dropped at the same time . I'm not sure if RL33 is this temp sensitive ( it never seemed to be ) , or if it's a combo of the new powder lot , and the temp cooling off ,my velocity today was 2844 FPS at around 70* . I really screwed up , I should have saved a little of the old powder so I could test with it . right now I could load 5 of the old powder , shoot over the chrony and know what is going on .

the chassis rifle nearest in the pic , is a 6.5 creedmore , bartlein bbl , it's a rem action , has a vortex golden eagle scope . he shoots factory hornady ammo .

the middle rifle is a ruger precision rifle in 300 PRC , athalon scope , only upgrade is a trigger , I think they said a timney .

the rear rifle is a savage , 30"bbl , athalon scope , he replaced the factory brake with a terminator , I put a trigger in it for him . he's using RL33 with 300 gr bergers . he is going to try the hornady
285 A-tips to see how they work .

the guy shooting under the EZ up in the blue shirt , is shooting a 243 , rem action , nikon scope ,looks to be a bell and carlson stock . he shoots 95gr bergers .

I have one of the rifles here at home . I'm going to bed the scope rail on and add some MOA to it . it's a 6.5 PRC browning X-bolt . he has a vortex scope that took a crap , so he is out of business for a little while .

the guy with the 243 , and the guy with the 6.5 prc are trying to buy savage rifles identical to the one in the pic . I guess they are about impossible to get right now . the third time I shot with these guys the other lapua showed up . now there's 2 more on order . HA HA

the little guns just won't shoot with the big guns . the 6.5 creed struggles at 1600 , the 6.5 prc does well at 1600 , except for the wind . on a calm day it holds it's own . the 243 usually doesn't shoot past 1200 .

they are a great bunch of guys , I'm glad they found me .


That is too cool Jim! Dang man, now that’s the way to spend a day!

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:08 pm
Posts: 20332
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338

_________________
Speed sells but Accuracy kills.

Noslers Rock


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:23 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
JD338 wrote:
Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338




JD , it does make good velocity with RL33 . I have shot in 95*+ temps without problems , I know I'm pushing the pressure limit . I have not looked at the 265 ABLR .to tell you the truth I forgot about it , but I'll give it a look . I have been thinking about trying the Nosler RDF bullet . I haven't seen a BC or recommended twist listed for it though . I need to do some bullet research . shooting this far is all about cheating the wind .


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:35 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
SJB358 wrote:
jimbires wrote:
Scotty , the pic with the 4 rifles . mine is the one pointed the opposite way . it's a stiller tac 338 action , jewel trigger , 30" 10 twist BBL , McMillan A5 stock , NXS 8-32x56 scope , chambered in 338 lapua . I'm shooting 300gr Berger bullets , RL33 @ 102.5 gr , FED 215 , lapua brass . I was getting 2939 FPS with my last 8 pounder of powder , in the heat around 90* - 95* . I just got into my new lot of powder , and the outside temp has dropped at the same time . I'm not sure if RL33 is this temp sensitive ( it never seemed to be ) , or if it's a combo of the new powder lot , and the temp cooling off ,my velocity today was 2844 FPS at around 70* . I really screwed up , I should have saved a little of the old powder so I could test with it . right now I could load 5 of the old powder , shoot over the chrony and know what is going on .

the chassis rifle nearest in the pic , is a 6.5 creedmore , bartlein bbl , it's a rem action , has a vortex golden eagle scope . he shoots factory hornady ammo .

the middle rifle is a ruger precision rifle in 300 PRC , athalon scope , only upgrade is a trigger , I think they said a timney .

the rear rifle is a savage , 30"bbl , athalon scope , he replaced the factory brake with a terminator , I put a trigger in it for him . he's using RL33 with 300 gr bergers . he is going to try the hornady
285 A-tips to see how they work .

the guy shooting under the EZ up in the blue shirt , is shooting a 243 , rem action , nikon scope ,looks to be a bell and carlson stock . he shoots 95gr bergers .

I have one of the rifles here at home . I'm going to bed the scope rail on and add some MOA to it . it's a 6.5 PRC browning X-bolt . he has a vortex scope that took a crap , so he is out of business for a little while .

the guy with the 243 , and the guy with the 6.5 prc are trying to buy savage rifles identical to the one in the pic . I guess they are about impossible to get right now . the third time I shot with these guys the other lapua showed up . now there's 2 more on order . HA HA

the little guns just won't shoot with the big guns . the 6.5 creed struggles at 1600 , the 6.5 prc does well at 1600 , except for the wind . on a calm day it holds it's own . the 243 usually doesn't shoot past 1200 .

they are a great bunch of guys , I'm glad they found me .


That is too cool Jim! Dang man, now that’s the way to spend a day!



it's a lot of fun .

I'm looking for a bigger rangefinder , I out grew my sig 2400abs in a couple months .


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:43 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
another pic . standing at the 1600 yard shooting line , looking towards the 2375 shooting line

the dirt piles are changing from week to week while the strip job is finishing up .

Ed brought a 30/30 magnum research revolver for us to play with . put up this target at about 50 or 75 yards .

Attachment:
P8300937.JPG
P8300937.JPG [ 712.57 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:23 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:43 am
Posts: 541
Looks like you fell in with the right bunch of fellas. Interesting rifles and info. Dan.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
wvbuckbuster wrote:
Looks like you fell in with the right bunch of fellas. Interesting rifles and info. Dan.




Dan , it's a lot of fun .


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:11 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
guys , we'll probably be shooting at least 2 days this labor day weekend . if anyone wants to join in on the fun , let me know . closest town would be , Osceola Mills Pa 16666


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:45 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
rough day at the office today , the wind was the winner . probably a 10 mph constant with gusts to 20 or 25 . but always changing directions . I don't think we got a hit at 1600 yards . we mostly shot at the 800 - 1050 targets . still a fun day .

Attachment:
P8300942_LI.jpg
P8300942_LI.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 119 times ]


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:45 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:08 pm
Posts: 20332
Location: Cedar Springs, MI
jimbires wrote:
JD338 wrote:
Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338




JD , it does make good velocity with RL33 . I have shot in 95*+ temps without problems , I know I'm pushing the pressure limit . I have not looked at the 265 ABLR .to tell you the truth I forgot about it , but I'll give it a look . I have been thinking about trying the Nosler RDF bullet . I haven't seen a BC or recommended twist listed for it though . I need to do some bullet research . shooting this far is all about cheating the wind .

Jim,

You are right about the wind. If Nosler will ever get the new (2019) 300 gr ABLR produced, it would be a good one for what you are doing.

JD338

_________________
Speed sells but Accuracy kills.

Noslers Rock


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: the weekend shoot .
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:39 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm
Posts: 1675
Location: center of Pa
JD338 wrote:
jimbires wrote:
JD338 wrote:
Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338




JD , it does make good velocity with RL33 . I have shot in 95*+ temps without problems , I know I'm pushing the pressure limit . I have not looked at the 265 ABLR .to tell you the truth I forgot about it , but I'll give it a look . I have been thinking about trying the Nosler RDF bullet . I haven't seen a BC or recommended twist listed for it though . I need to do some bullet research . shooting this far is all about cheating the wind .

Jim,

You are right about the wind. If Nosler will ever get the new (2019) 300 gr ABLR produced, it would be a good one for what you are doing.

JD338




thanks JD , I'll keep an eye out for those .


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

This forum is:

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net