open, fixed, variable or all three

Nimrod84,

I picked up a used Z5 3.5-18 lastwinter and mounted it on my 6.5x55, but have not yet gone out and sighted it in. I will let you know how I like it once I get it out to the range (hopefully tomorrow).

Blkram,

Thank you and please provide some feedback on how you like your reticle. Feel free to PM me, I'm not sure how much we should derail from Europe's original question...

Just FYI, when I looked at the Swaro's in 2013, my impression was that their plex and ballistic reticles (BRX?) were a bit too fine for me. I think their 4 or 4A reticle looked pretty decent, but they weren't importing many scopes into the USA with that reticle; and I was and am looking to buy used / demo.

Mostly I seem to hunt with a fixed 6x scope.

However I have a few variables and appreciate them.

And one rifle, a 30-30 with a receiver "peep" sight. That's my 30-30. Was raised shooting rifles with receiver sights, then of course did a lot of that with military rifles.

I don't have many rifles with just open sights. The 375 Win Model 70 has a wonderful set of open sights, and a scope in QR rings. I like the open sights on the Ruger Number One as well.

I dunno, I like 'em all, for different applications.

Regards, Guy

I received a valuable lesson just about 10 days ago. The dogs alerted, growling with their hackles up. Something was obviously close to the lodge. What ever was there was between me and the guest cabins, it was getting dark.
Grabbing the 45/70 I headed to the edge of the deck. I found not a Grizz but a damn big porcupine. I gave chase as I couldn't safely shoot him there. In the alders the growing darkness and my aging eyes I couldn't see the front sight. Cheated the front sight enough to see it. Shot over him, killed him with the second shot.
Kind of scared me, ordered a set of skinner sights the next day.
I have always enjoyed iron sights, no denying old eyes struggle with them.
I am kind of ambivalent regarding variable power scopes. I would wager 90% of the deer and elk I've killed were shot in the 3 to 6 power range. If I'm in timber I crank it down. In the open I go to 6 power.
Absent antler point restrictions I think a 1.5x6 would be my go to scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39527d65fbcf70be317d3ac7247a642f.jpg

This is a very worthy upgrade!

https://www.wildwestguns.com/product/la ... ount-1895/

I have been doing a fair amount of preseason practice this year. And have found a couple of things that were interesting, One rifle has a older 2.5 x 8 Leupold mounted on it. I cannot see a 2 inch orange dot with it at 300 yards, the junction of the cross wires hide it. But with a 14 power Ziess I can see it and hit it . And at 600 yards I can still clearly see a 4 inch orange dot. Elk are much bigger of course but I thought this interesting.

Elkman":wvk1r5is said:
I have been doing a fair amount of preseason practice this year. And have found a couple of things that were interesting, One rifle has a older 2.5 x 8 Leupold mounted on it. I cannot see a 2 inch orange dot with it at 300 yards, the junction of the cross wires hide it. But with a 14 power Ziess I can see it and hit it . And at 600 yards I can still clearly see a 4 inch orange dot. Elk are much bigger of course but I thought this interesting.
What range scope do you have on your favorite 300wm?
I have my 4.5-14X44mm MC SF Zeiss Conquest on mine for the time being but might go down in magnification once I get a load worked up for it. 14x helps see the target better for shooting little groups.

I agree, I have a couple of flashlights left over from my SWATdays that will work. I do have a light mounted on the 450 bushmaster.
In this case there was plenty of light to see the pork, not enough for sightsbut had the pork been better illuminated I may have seen the sights better.

truck driver":rwmaf3vc said:
Elkman":rwmaf3vc said:
What range scope do you have on your favorite 300wm?
I have my 4.5-14X44mm MC SF Zeiss Conquest on mine for the time being but might go down in magnification once I get a load worked up for it. 14x helps see the target better for shooting little groups.

That’s the exact same scope he has on his 300 Win TD.

These targets work real well for shooting at distance with low powered scopes.

I am very partial to fixed power scopes and until just recently when I had a 280 AI built, I had never had a variable power scope on one of my rifles in my lifetime. Yes I do like the 4-5-14X40mm Leupold I have on that rifle but I would be just as happy with a fixed 6x42mm or 36mm Leupold and would never look back.

Guess what I have the scope set on when I carry the rifle in the woods.....................6x!!

I just ordered another fixed scope for the Arsenal. A 10x SWFA SS. This one for a LR 22lr target setup. It reminds me that a good fixed 10x-16x fixed scope can be an excellent choice when a low end isn’t needed. Generally a lot more affordable and durable over a variable that rarely sees its low end.

My long range scope tend to stay at max most of the time when punching steel or paper. About the only time I fail them back is in poor light/mirage situations.

Back