Mark V stringing downward

7mmweatherby

Beginner
Jan 10, 2006
Last Sunday I shot my Mark V for the first time against paper.
Mark V, 338Winchester (yes, it is), Docotr (East German Zeiss) N2 scope, Leupold quick disconnect rings and base.

Shot 1: POI (Point of Impact is the zero point)
Shot 2: .5 left, 1.1" down
Shot 3: .25 right, 1.5" down (with respect to Shot 2)

I did several 3 shot groups and they were simiilar. Wincester factory 225 AccuBond ammo. Cool down 1 minute between shots.

This is very strange to me. :?:

7MMWeatherby, I may be wrong but it sounds like a bedding problem. I had somewhat of the same problem in a WEatherby Super Big Game Master. It turned out to be the bedding although in my rifle the bedding was provided by an aluminum rail. Check with the Weatherby Techs on the proper amount of torque for your thru bolts. Also recheck all your mounting screws. It doesn't take too much to knock things out of kilter.

Thanks. The Weatherby techs agree with you. So, I am sending the rifle to Weatherby for repair. I made a deal with Roy: I don't do gunsmithen and he don't do computer security work.

Vetical stringing can be caused by many things, but usually it's one or both of these: Shooter changing his sight picture/point of aim from shot to shot, and or bedding.

Back