Which varmint rifle?

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
I know that this has been asked before, but I am trying to choose between some options that haven't been discussed. At least, my searches didn't come up with anything.
I am wanting to acquire a heavy barrel varmint/target rifle. I am a bang for the buck guy (cheap) and am trying to decide between:
Savage 12FV .223
Howa 1500 varmint .223
Weatherby Vanguard Varmint .223.
These are within $50 of each other pricewise. I know the Weatherby is a Howa, but with a shorter, lighter contoured barrel (22", #3 contour tapers to .74 at the muzzle compared to the Howa #6 contour, .825 24" barrel)
The Savage features a 26" barrel and a 1 in 9" twist, and I realize would probably be the most accurate of the choices. The others have a 1 in 12" twist which should work fine for the 40 and 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips I will probably be shooting most of the time.
The Weatherby is the most expensive, but appears to have the better stock, as both the savage and howa are typical black tupperware.
One other possible wrinkle is that I also kind of could use another deer rifle, and since the Weatherby is also offered in .308 and weighs about a pound less than the others, it might suffice for deer in a pinch if I went with the .308. But then that is the cheap side of me trying to do double duty. The main purpose for the new rifle is to shoot varmints, ground spuirrels, rock chucks and maybe prairie dogs down the road and the .308 would be a bit much for that. Not to mention the more expensive bullets and greater powder useage. (I told you I was cheap).
My concern about the Weatherby is its' 22" barrel. I would prefer the 24" for maximum velocity for long shots at chucks. But I kind of like the idea of a little lighter more trim varmint rifle. I had a Savage 112FVS before in .22-250 and it was nice on the bench, but that 26" heavy barrel was a bit much in the field. (I am older now, too, don't want to lug around too much weight). Any insights? I haven't had the opportunity to handle the Weatherby Vanguard varmint special, so if anyone has, I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Have you looked into a NEF Handi-rifle in .223 w/a bull barrel? I have one, paid a little over $200 bucks. It is a single shot though. After a little trigger work, wow, what a shooter. Not to heavy and not to small.

I gave up a long time ago, believing that one compromise rifle would work for multiple taskings. No matter how cheap you are, you will not for long be satisfied shooting a .308Win on varmints. Sure the .308Win will do the job until you hit the wall and realize that you'd feel better and do better with a true varmint cartridge. If you ever do get into a prairie dog town the .308 is going to pound you hard, when those little buggers present target after target in rapid order.
You are hazy about the fact of "kinda" needing another deer rifle. Which do you want the most? If you want a Varmint rifle, buy a Varminter. If you really need a deer rifle and can only afford one new rifle, buy the deer rifle and shoot varmints with it for awhile.
I own the Savage 12 heavy barrel in both 22-250 and .308Win. I really enjoy shooting the heavy .308 at the range, but for varmints I use the 22-250. I also own a Tikka Sporter, heavy barrel varminter in .223Rem, which is a fine varminter. Between the .223 and 22-250, I have seen no practical difference in the rounds or the rifles. Each serves very well and cannot pick one over the other. For a varmint rifle, I want the 26" barrel, simply because the longer barrel is more versatile, when it comes to loading up to full potential.

Welllll......don't forget about the 243 caliber. Excellent varmit cartridge with the proper handload, and excellent deer cartridge with the proper handload.

Don't go after Moose or Caraboooo.

Dave

roysclockgun said:
I gave up a long time ago, believing that one compromise rifle would work for multiple taskings.
quote]

Roy is right on target, the compromise approach will leave you with just that, a compromise.
Take a long look at all your options and don't buy on price. Buy on performance and quality. Buy the best you can afford and you will be much happier in the long run.
Also look at the 22-250. You can laod it down or load it up. The powder difference vs. a 223 Rem is minor, unless you are going to shoot thousands of rounds.

JD338

Agree that a specialized rifle is a great thing - if a fellow can afford to own, equip and feed multiple rifles.

These days I've got several different rifles for different purposes, match shooting, predators, varmints, deer and bigger game.

For years though I did it all, rather well, with one 6mm Rem 700 BDL. Popped varmints and predators with 75 grain hollowpoints, shot deer with 95 and 100 grain Noslers. It took care of everything just fine. My youngest son still uses that same rifle for everything; target practice, rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer.

Have done much the same thing with one really nice, accurate .308 Win. Varmints with 125 gr Ballistic tips, deer with 165 ballistic tips or partitions and target shooting with 168 Nosler competition bullets. That rifle, with the McMillan stock, trued action, Krieger barrel... Is one sweet shooter!

Setting up a single good rifle can be pretty expensive by the time a fellow adds in a good scope base/rings, a quality scope, perhaps a bipod, a good shooting sling, loading dies, ammo etc... I've got no problem at all with the concept of using one rifle for at least two purposes.

FWIW, Guy

Of the rifles you mentioned the Savage would appear to be the most accurate. Your preferring a wooden stock seems to throw a couple of flies into the ointment. I'm at an age where a 10lb. varmint rifle is tough on the old body. My latest, a Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. runs about 12lbs., and I doubt the Savage is any lighter. My best solution was a Sako single shot action that I put a Hart stainless varmint barrel on (shortened to 20" in a .222Rem Mag.). I put it in a McMillan fibergrain Stock which looks just like walnut. It ended up around 9.2lbs. and is very accurate but not as inexpensive as I'd like. This project usually ends up being quite a tradeoff. All those years buying varmint rifles and now they're too heavy to lug around. Age is hell isn't it? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

POP,
You say 'Yup' a lot when you agree with a previous post. I was agreeing with Guy's post. But didn't want to infringe on your sayings. :wink:

Actually of my 6 varmint rifles, only 4 are factory jobs, A Sako Varminter (.222Rem.), a Remington VLS (6mm Rem.), a Remington 700BDL (.17Rem.) and a Rem. 40XBBR (.222Rem.) My .22-250Rem. and .222Rem. Mag. both have heavy Hart barrels. I guess I'm a bit of a fanatic about my varmint rifles, but boy they can become heavy in short order, Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I have a savage 12vs with the 26'' bull barrel, chambered for the 223 and a savage package gun in 22-250 with a 22'' barrel. Since you are wanting to go "cheap" take the package gun in 223, mine will shoot 1'' groups without much fuss. the scope that comes with the gun isn't great , so order a tasco 2.5x10 mil dot scope from cabelas, for $80 and you are set to shoot anything within 300 yards :grin:

Am considering a 223 Rem. rifle to be used for 75% benchwork and have a lot of 55-gr. FMJ factory ammo to use up with my two boys.

Question:

Since most manufactures make the 223 with a 1 in 12 twist, will this rate be adequate for most 55-gr. bullets?

Yes, the 12" twist is fine for bullets of 55-grain weight. My old Colt CAR-15 with 16" barrel and 12" twist shoots the old Nosler 60-grain SB bullets into moa, don't worry about that twist rate.....don't worry unless you want to shoot the 68-grain and heavier bullets, then it won't be enough.

For long range work, get a good 6 MM rifle, perhaps a 243 Winchester or the 6 MM Remington. I have both and love them but for all around varminting, nothing beats an accurate 223 rifle. My Clackamas Kimber Model 82 fits that bill using the excellent 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/alb...h moly coated 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip
IMGP0504.jpg

Back