325 WSM

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
A buddy is getting one but he wants it in the Tikka t3 or SAKO Finnlite. Anyone have any intel if they will into this caliber in these guns and when?

POP I believe the other Manufacture's would probably want to wait and see if it sells like gangbusters before they invested the time and effort into it. Afterall, it's not like the 204 Ruger or 17 HMR. :grin:

Allen you actually know this guy! His name is Brad and he has talked to you on many occasions!

Anyway he is hoping for a Tikka T3-lite....hope they will make it.

personally i wouldnt bother with the 325wsm-the 300wsm beats it hands down-my-2-dave

The one feature it does have is the heavier bullet choices.

I love my 300 WSM though.

6brguy":36wcsat9 said:
personally i wouldnt bother with the 325wsm-the 300wsm beats it hands down-my-2-dave

Anyone that has ever necked up a 30-06 to 8mm and loaded it to 60k with a O.A.L. of 3.34" or longer would probably not be making such a statement. :roll:

8mm seems to be the ideal bore diameter for medium sized cases when it comes to driving 180-220gr. bullets with good BC @ decent velocity. The 8mm-06 will darned near equal the 300 Win Mag when loaded to similar pressure as the Win Mag. (2950-3000fps w/180gr BT, 2800-2850fps w/200gr Par)

I'll bet that once the 8mm WSM get "wrung out" you will find similar improvements over the 30 caliber version.

Maybe I will sell some of my 300 magnums and get a 325 WSM. I never liked those belts anyway. What I wonder about is what the recoil will be like in a Kimber? My Montana 270 WSM only weighs 6.3 lbs and the larger bore may weigh an ounce or two less!

The Winchester M70 is supect WSM's, in my current thinking, unless they open up the action threads.

Those are the only two bolt rifles I like at the moment.

You know, It's harder to sell a rifle than to buy one. I have to think about it.

Savage99":3tj9kxtx said:
Maybe I will sell some of my 300 magnums and get a 325 WSM. I never liked those belts anyway. What I wonder about is what the recoil will be like in a Kimber? My Montana 270 WSM only weighs 6.3 lbs and the larger bore may weigh an ounce or two less!

The Winchester M70 is supect WSM's, in my current thinking, unless they open up the action threads.

Those are the only two bolt rifles I like at the moment.

You know, It's harder to sell a rifle than to buy one. I have to think about it.

I am trying to make up my mind between a Kimber 8400 or a M70 Super Grade, either would be in 325WSM.

The Super Grade would be a little heavier. That might not be a bad thing.

I don't particularly care for the gloss bluing on the Winchester, but you can't have everything I guess.

I do like the stock on the M70 Super Grade better. They had several on the rack @ the Gander Mountain Watertown NY store. None in 325WSM though. Sitting next to the Kimber M84s on the rack, that Super Grade stock sure looked good. The wood is really nice and I like the black fore-end tip and grip cap. The "flush mount" swivel studs are real "classy" too.

I suspect that the Kimber would probably shoot better "out of the box", but a pilar bedding job on the M70 would probably bring things "up to snuff".

The Kimber Montana I am shooting in 270 WSM almost jumps out of my hands with a 140 gr at 3210 fps. While the stock seems just right grip wise it does slip on me. I fire rifles like this holding onto the forend and this one comes back and the sling swivel cuts into my left index finger. So I have to wear a glove if I shoot it that way.

The recoil is not so great however to unsettle me and I can see the flash from the muzzle blast and the cross hairs on the target before the recoil pushes me back. What with the soft pad my old sholder does well.

I have a M70 Supergrade in 300 WM. and that's a very heavy rifle. The recoil pad is hard on those and it hurts some. I would not take this rifle up a mountain and then down again and then up again......... It's just too heavy.

The nice thing about the Kimber is that it's always going to be light. One could load up the 180 gr Ballistic Tip to 2700 or so and it would be just right for any New England hunting.

Some guys can still carry heavy rifles. I have plenty of them already and don't want any more.

6brguy":2cjhtdme said:
wildcat junkie-LOL-thanks i needed a good laugh

Laugh if you want, but the 8mm has always been superior to .308 for delivering maximum energy in medium capacity cases. A prime example would be the 8x57. When loaded to similar pressure, it will equal the 30-06 in a smaller case.

8x57 factory loads from Europe deliver 2740fps with a 198gr bullet. I would like to see the "06" surpass that in a factory load.

Back