the one I couldn't pass up

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I picked it up last night . looking it over , I'm very happy with it . I can't wait to get a scope on it, and shoot it . it's a trued short action remington , with a 8 twist shilen select match #4 magnum sporter bbl . bell and carlson stock with aluminum bedding block . a very crisp 2 pound trigger . Rifle was built by Russ Haydon shooters supply , Washington state . plus a bunch of goodies , brass , bullets , redding bushing micrometer dies , rcbs die set . don't mind the reloading room , it's a work in progress . I was out growing it , again .

That's a nice looking rifle Jim. As far as the reloading room being messy it could be worse. :mrgreen:

Russ Haydon used to turn out some reasonable equipment when I was shopping below the line. Don't see why this won't work out well for you. The 260 is a great cartridge and that looks to be a most useful rifle. Congratulations.

Nice gun. H 4350 is your friend in the 260 Rem but IMR 4350 is great too and would think IMR 4451 would be worth a try.

Very nice rifle, Iam looking forward to see what glass your are going to place on top.
I knew that Gerry would talk on this he is a real fan of the 260 Rem DrMike had one built for his grandson Noah :wink: & I know he does a bit of research before recommending anything :wink:.
After the scope hopefully we will see a post on load work-up & range report.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys , I thought it was a good deal on a nice looking rifle .
I'm going to take the VX-3 off my tikka , for this rifle . it's a 3.5-10x40 duplex reticle . I ran around 3 gun shops yesterday and couldn't find , any brand , LOW scope rings for it . I think I'll just order them from midway usa . I think I'll give talleys a try . I've never used them , but you guys all seem to like them .
I know I'm thinking way , way in the future here . I have a grandson that will be 3 years old in April . when he is mature enough this will be his first centerfire rifle . until then pappy is going to play with it a little . I'd hate to gift something that isn't proven . ha ha

You won't go wrong with Talley rings, Jim. They are an excellent mounting system. Careful on gifting the rifle. My grandson, Noah, turned out to be left-eye dominant (as did two of my granddaughters and my wife). That causes an adjustment on the part of one party of the other.

42gr IMR 4451 under those 140 Bergers....been a tack driving load in my 260 at 2770fps. Nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the talleys are ordered . I can start to play with bullet length and make up a few test rounds , until I can get out shooting it .
I thought of the dominant eye potential problem Dr Mike . if it doesn't work out for him , I guess I'll have to keep it for myself , oh darn . ha ha

I gave the rifle a pretty good going over . I knew when I bought it , it still had the factory 2.8xx" magazine box . I wanted to be able to mag feed the longer vld type bullets . I ordered a Wyatts # MBE-5 extended box . this will allow about a 3.000" ammo length . I took the barreled action out of the stock to be able to cut out the action for the longer box . what I found was the bedding was failing . so I ordered a set of accu-risers from Ernie the gun smith . these are nothing more than different thickness stainless steel flat washers , shims . you just mix and match until you get the height needed . I've never cut an action for an extended box so I read the instructions on Wyatts website . just took my time and it turned out pretty good . what needs removed is the bolt boss , plus a little more , that's used with the ADL trigger gaurd . since I'm using BDL bottom metal the bolt boss is not needed .

I just used hand tools . air die grinder , air cut off , dremel tool .

before cutting . needs opened up half way through the small hole that's at the tape edge .

the bolt stop also needs altered 0.120" to let the bolt move back far enough to pick up a round from the new box . I screwed it to a board and cut it out .

now I have the metal work finished, it's time to start on rebedding it . this is what the bedding looked like when I took the barreled action out of the stock.

I removed all the old bedding, and the front pillar pushed out while I was digging around it . so I ran a tap into the stock hole to give the JBweld something to get a hold of . I also roughened up the outside of the pillar so the JBweld can get a grip . I held it in place with a long bolt and socket while the JBweld dried .

the small washers are the accu-risers . they came in different thicknesses , these are .005 .

taped everything , and packed everything with clay . I put 2 layers of tape on only the bottom of the recoil lug , this is about .011" thick . I gave the barreled action 3 coats of KIWI neutral shoe polish . notice the tablet paper . these are the different thicknesses of the accu-risers from Ernie .

my high tech holding fixture .

it's time to mix the devcon . I'm neverous as can be . I've only tried to bed one rifle before . it had a bad stock , so I thought it would be good practice . it was a disaster . I pretty much glued it in . I had a heck of a time getting that bugger apart . I'm glad the stock was junk , because I sure didn't help it . I've read that if you get things stuck to put the rifle in a freezer over night and that helps get it apart . this weekend we are getting an artic blast so I thought I better get this done so I can put the rifle out on the porch over night to help me , if needed .
cleaning off some extra before it sets .

I put a piece of plastic saran wrap over the bottom metal to keep the devcon off of it . that's whats hanging out .

I left it set 23 hours and it came apart with a little persistence . I bumped on the top of the action , and the sides of the stock , with a soft hammer .

it's apart . what squeezed into the mag well.

after cleaning it up . you can just see the accu-risers .

Jim,

Nice looking rifle. I'm looking forward to hearing how she shoots after all the tweaking.

JD338

thanks guys . I got to clean the rest of the clay out of the action ,and get it put together .

You have provided a superior visual primer. Excellent job well done. Thank you for sharing your labour with us.

thanks fellas . I enjoyed doing this . it sure helped when it came apart easy . I've paid a gunsmith for 3 bedding jobs since I glued that one together , it took me awhile to get my nerve up to try it again . I just need to give it a good cleaning now and it's ready to shoot . I might get the throat lengthened about .050 to take full advantage of the extended mag box , I'll see how it shoots first . I put my VX-2 6-18 on it for now , this should work out well for range work .

Back