Rifle carry back packs

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
It looks like I shall have to update some of my equipment for an upcoming elk hunt in 2017. In the past I used a day pack that stayed in a vehicle and used my blaze orange vest for storage because it had some compartments. That worked well because we would be back to the truck for lunch so I could ditch some of the heaver clothes. It also allowed me to carry my rifle over my shoulder for the times I did not have it in my hands.

This upcoming trip will be a little more remote and will be living out of our packs until we return to camp at night. Not sure I want to go as light as last time and want to be prepared to carry extra water, lunch and rain gear. So I need a day pack that can stow a rifle. There are plenty on the market but, I want one that allows easy access to my rifle. Something that can be put on the ground in a hurry and have that rifle in my hands quickly if need be.

Your recommendations please...............

Thanks........chs

Charles, my son speaks well of the Gunslinger II, but I have not personally used it.

I really like this pack and it will be my next purchase.

http://www.eberlestock.com/M5%20Team%20Elk%20Pack.html

This is the Eberlestock pack I currently have and really like it also. I used this pack every day 6 years ago when I drew a mountain goat tag. It's a little larger and I could carry my camp and my food for 3-5 days.

http://www.eberlestock.com/J34%20Just%20One.htm

Blacks Creek also makes a very good pack. I have the Canadian model and they do not make it any longer, but this one looks pretty sweet.

http://blacks-creek.com/packs/antidote-pack/

A little smaller pack. I personally would go with a bit larger pack so you can pack elk quarters with it. Nice to take a load when you go instead of going back to the truck to a designated meat hauler pack.

http://blacks-creek.com/packs/fix-pack/

As mentioned above, Eberlestock packs have a good assortment of day packs and full sized packs with an easy to use rifle boot between your back and the main compartment. Choose the model that works best for your needs.

I forget the model name of mine at the moment, but it is a daypack version that I can tie a bow to for short day trips while still packing a rifle for backup in mountain grizzly country. While not large enough to pack a deer, sheep or goat in, it will carry part of animal out by loosening the compression straps. Other models have the ability to open the main pack and attach another bag that you can carry meat and capes in. It is well built and comfortable to wear and use.

Vince,

Watched the video and I like the quick access to your rifle. How does it feel to carry it under your arm?

I like it.
You just have to play with adjusting it to get it right. It took me some time but once I got it properly adjusted I came to love it.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blkram":3lxhvnkb said:
As mentioned above, Eberlestock packs have a good assortment of day packs and full sized packs with an easy to use rifle boot between your back and the main compartment. Choose the model that works best for your needs.

I forget the model name of mine at the moment, but it is a daypack version that I can tie a bow to for short day trips while still packing a rifle for backup in mountain grizzly country. While not large enough to pack a deer, sheep or goat in, it will carry part of animal out by loosening the compression straps. Other models have the ability to open the main pack and attach another bag that you can carry meat and capes in. It is well built and comfortable to wear and use.

+ 1

the J107 with add on's if desired. The Spike duffel and the buttbucket/bowtether kits are a couple good add on's

Best of luck on your Elk hunt. Will you hunt with Kelly ?

I like the Eberlestock packs. I have several but my favorites are these.

X1A2 - just for a plain daypack I really like this new version. It has outside pockets for my spotter and tripod, enough space inside for most day hunts where I don't have to pack tons of clothes. I replaced an X1A1 with this and like it much better. Having the scabbard centered is much nicer to me.

J34 - A little more room, decent access to spotter and tripod, and expands to haul meat out the first trip. They call this the Just One pack for a reason, it can do it all in a pinch.

Mainframe - This is the external frame meat hauler. It packs heavier loads better than the J34 and has several pack bag options that can fit the frame. I have the transformer now and it's a nice daypack attachment. You can sandwich a quarter between the frame and transformer pack to take it out the first trip also. This one has the potential to be the most versatile with the new Bigtop and little Bigtop bags, J style drybag, scabbard, lots of options to set it up how you want. I did a longer review on the Mainframe/Transformer on the Eastmans forum you could check out. I like that the frame is narrower than most so carrying a rifle slung over my shoulder is more comfortable for me than on a wider frame.

I like the eberlystock packs as well. I found I started carrying more just in case stuff however, even added my old swat trauma kit.
Back down to fire starter, space blanket, lunch and rain gear.
But with the expandable capabilities I can carry the back straps and tenderloin as well as head and horns on my initial exfil. I don't use a rifle scabbard however.

Thanks folks,

The Eberlystock's are well endorsed here for sure. Any more Kifaru gun bearing lovers? It seems that having a rifle at the ready is a good thing if "comfortable"............ That's probably the curt phrase.

"Best of luck on your Elk hunt. Will you hunt with Kelly ?"

I would in a heart beat if the opportunity ever came up. He's been extremely helpful along with a bunch of others in sharing their knowledge of outfitters. It's been 9 years since I've hunted Colorado so I'm out of the loop a little.

On this trip in 2017 I'm taking a friend from childhood that helped me out in 2014. Kelly might not make that trip but, I'll have with me something we both have in common. :wink:

c. schutte":3le1rccq said:
Thanks folks,
On this trip in 2017 I'm taking a friend from childhood that helped me out in 2014. Kelly might not make that trip but, I'll have with me something we both have in common. :wink:

Funny you mention that charles. I am another who thinks of him, not in the same way that you and Kelly do, but I still miss him and his granddaughter ( Charlee ) Last I heard she had returned to Alaska, but I lost contact with her. I also miss Bill. What a fine gentleman.I am sure you will bend an elbow to both of them one night around the campfire

Anyway, good luck on your back pack search and your elk hunt.

yukon huntress":dh98z0ke said:
c. schutte":dh98z0ke said:
Thanks folks,

Funny you mention that charles. I am another who thinks of him, not in the same way that you and Kelly do, but I still miss him and his granddaughter ( Charlee ) Last I heard she had returned to Alaska, but I lost contact with her. I also miss Bill. What a fine gentleman.I am sure you will bend an elbow to both of them one night around the campfire

You can count on it! As Tom once put it, "it's nice to know that there are some truly fine people in the world" And a certain rodeo cowboy & trouble maker can be included in that mix! :lol:

ps. thanks...............

c. schutte":miq3wg8m said:
yukon huntress":miq3wg8m said:
c. schutte":miq3wg8m said:
Thanks folks,

You can count on it! As Tom once put it, "it's nice to know that there are some truly fine people in the world" And a certain rodeo cowboy & trouble maker can be included in that mix! :lol:

ps. thanks...............

Charles,

and you can rest assured my parents feel the same way about you. you are spot on about mum, but you might want to add "ex" to rodeo rider when speaking about my dad. But he still loves his horses.

in reference to a pack. My mum uses young men, but as you know she is a little eccentric (-;

From memory, you have several friends in Colorado. Hope you are able to enjoy an a adult drink with all of them and of course drop a nice trophy Elk

Best Regards

Jamila

c. schutte":c99jkut5 said:
Vince":c99jkut5 said:
Instead of a pack I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer.
It can be made to fit almost any pack and the only faster speed of access is to have the rifle in your hands.
https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/univers ... -p197.aspx
Vince

Vince,

Do you find it annoying to have the barrel in your peripheral vision?

Honestly no.
I find it faster to access than any pack I've used and the trick to getting it where it suits you is to take the time to play with adjusting it. Don't give up but keep adjusting it. You will find what works for you.

Vince

Vince":159t4o43 said:
c. schutte":159t4o43 said:
Vince":159t4o43 said:
Instead of a pack I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer.
It can be made to fit almost any pack and the only faster speed of access is to have the rifle in your hands.
https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/univers ... -p197.aspx
Vince

Vince,

Do you find it annoying to have the barrel in your peripheral vision?

Honestly no.
I find it faster to access than any pack I've used and the trick to getting it where it suits you is to take the time to play with adjusting it. Don't give up but keep adjusting it. You will find what works for you.

Vince

Thanks,

I'm going on a mule deer hunt this Fall and might order a day pack & gun bearer now and use it on that hunt also. It won't really be necessary as a pack is optional on this hunt but, it will be a heck of a shake down cruise for using the gun bearer!

"and you can rest assured my parents feel the same way about you. you are spot on about mum, but you might want to add "ex" to rodeo rider when speaking about my dad. But he still loves his horses."

Thanks Jamila,

Your dad might not ride the circuit anymore but I'm sure the rodeo has not left him. Anyway, hope they are settled in at that new spread. :>)

ps. let them know I'm still kicking..................... (y)

If you're still considering pack options, my pack (Seek Outside Revolution) showed up this week, and after playing with it for a couple hours am impressed. It's an extremely versatile pack setup, and looks to be set up to do whatever you want. I'm putting mine together for a mountain goat hunt, so prioritized a couple things -- light, comfortable, set up to pack out meat/hide, easy to access a spotter, and easy to stow a rifle so my hands are free for climbing. This pack seems to check all the boxes. Attached are a couple pix.
• First one shows the frame and harness. It's an external framed pack, but because of the belt and harness setup, is extremely comfortable. There are enough adjustment options on this thing, I'd be surprised if it can't be set up to be comfortable for almost anybody.
• Second pic shows the main bag (already strapped to the frame), a day pack (which wraps around the back of the large bag and serves as a compression panel), and the load shelf on the bottom. The load shelf allows you to sandwich meat/hide between the frame and main bag, or between the main bag and day pack.
• Third pic shows how I'm carrying the spotter. I'll carry it already mounted to the tripod, resting atop the load shelf and sandwiched between the main bag and day pack. When I want to use it, I can drop the pack, release 3 quick disconnects on the side of the day pack, and the spotter is ready for use.
• Fourth pic shows everything assembled, with rifle stowed. I've got a couple different options for carrying the rifle, but think this is probably what I'll start with. The scabbard is a lightweight cordura made for packing off horses and mules, and straps well to the side of the main bag, allowing the barrel to nest in one of the pockets sewn into the side of the main bag. Feels very secure this way, and the scabbard offers protection to the rifle and allows me to slip the rifle out of the top of the scabbard very quickly w/o undoing any straps/releases. The way this pack is set up, I can also front carry the rifle with my safari sling and have it in my hands for fast action.

SANY0364.jpg

SANY0367.jpg

SANY0368.jpg

SANY0369.jpg

Back