1 in 9" .277 barrel

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I am looking to replace the barrel on my Remington 700 in 270 Win. Although the headspace is very good in it, the chamber diameter is quite large which leads to a larger than normal overflow water capacity. That then leads to significant case growth with each re-sizing. I get the dreaded "donut ring" at the intersection of the shoulder and the case neck after just a couple of reloads. At this point the rifling has eroded back enough to require setting the barrel back. If I have to do that I figure I should just replace the barrel. Also, I have convinced myself that I want a faster twist rate to shoot the 150 gr. ABLR. At some point in the past Nosler recommended a 1 in 9" twist for the 270 150 gr. ABLR.

I looked at 9 different barrel supplier websites yesterday and was surprised to see that only 3 offered a 9" twist. Those were Hart, Krieger, and McGowen. Lija and Pac-Nor offered 1 in 8" twist and Broughton offered a 8.5" twist. Douglas, Bartlein, and Shaw had nothing tighter than a 10" twist.

Does anyone have any thoughts on other suppliers? Does anyone have any thoughts on Hart vs Krieger vs McGowen?

Dan

Dan, you’re beating me on this cause I’ve wanted to do a 8-9 twist for awhile. Either would be great in my opinion and being me I’d probably go 8 since bullets aren’t getting shorter and I don’t believe extra RPMs hurt accuracy on good bullets. I use mostly Krieger or Bartlein barrels myself since I’m kinda stuck on cut rifled barrels. A lot of folks use the button rifled barrels and have extremely good luck with them.

Benchmark and X-Caliber are a couple to look at as well. I think you’ll love it once it’s all said and done and the increased twist should maximize the BC on that 150 ABLR.

I have a McGowen Precision 26” Remage barrel. Sendero profile. 1-8. My receiver Rem 700 came off a 270 win
factory. 1*8 allows me to shoot the Berger 170gr Elite Hunter and 165 - 175 Matrix bullets. I get 2,935 FPS out do 175’s and 3,150 +/- out of the 150 ABLR’s. Shoots sub moa when I do my part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to beat Bartlein, Brux, and Krieger barrels. They’ve all been money for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Caliber makes a 9 twist .277. I own 7 of their barrels in various bores...one prefit to a Savage the rest I’ve chambered. All good to go. 4-6 weeks delivery on a contoured blank and they mean it. Also own several Hart barrels, one on order now. They are one of the mainstays by anyone’s standards, and they are wonderful people, as is Dan Lilja and family, in terms of customer service. The Wilson barrel supplied from Ragged Hole I have is also a good shooter.

I can’t speak much to the cut rifling outfits. I’m sure they’re great, I just never wanted to wait a year for one. And a few I’ve looked at will scare you to death if you ever look at one with a borescope...obviously mattering not if it shoots well though.

Any of those mentioned will do fine.
I wouldn’t let an 8 twist deter me either. Like Scotty said a little extra spin isn’t going to hurt you and since your objective is to shoot a longer bonded bullet the extra spin won’t hurt at all imo. Just make sure you get the throat and freebore you want.

A standard 270 win chamber let me load 170 Berger’s at 3.435 I don’t know if you want them any longer.
5fbdc3069f276c493564f9187ac69a69.jpg
. Next to my 183 gr 284 win

Definitely go 1-8. The extra spin won’t hurt those 150 LRAB any at all. I have a bunch of those 150 LRAB sitting on my reloading shelves if you decide to go that route PM me.

Thanks for all the great responses. It sounds like a lot of support for a 1:8" twist instead of a 1:9" twist. Also, thanks for suggesting the other barrel suppliers. I compiled a spreadsheet with all the information I could glean off from the supplier websites. I will take the rifle and the spreadsheet over to the gunsmith's tomorrow and discuss the barrel choice with him.

What are my crown choices? Both the 270 Win. and the 300 WSM have a recessed target crown. Should I stay with a recessed target crown?

Dan

Did you already try the 150ABLR's in the rifle? My Tikka shot them respectable. The Sako 85 I replaced it with seams to shoot them even better. 2.5" groups at 300yds.
Thats not tack driving accuracy but its certainly capable
Hitting a deer out to 500 and Moose or Elk easily to 600/700yds. I realize an 8 twist is the correct twist when you run the numbers, so did I just get lucky twice or is there more to this than just a twist chart can tell.
I was pushing them about 3000K / RL26.
Thoughts????
E

The faster you can push them the more forgiving it is on twist. You will never get the full advantage of those 150+ bullets BC unless you twist them 1-8 though

Thebear_78":1xs5yf7l said:
The faster you can push them the more forgiving it is on twist. You will never get the full advantage of those 150+ bullets BC unless you twist them 1-8 though

And to my notion twist doesn’t hurt expansion. The faster they are turning the more they wanna open.

.277 150 ABLR will stabilize in a 1-9 twist. Berger Twist stability calculator shows SG = 1.55 so adequate. a 1-10 twist only give 1.26 SG with a 7% reduction in BC. At 2950 FPS. 1-8 twist is to optimize to shoot 170 gr Berger Elite Hunter. So you can shoot 150 ABLR in a 1-10 twist just will not optimize BC and will start to stray past 300 to 400 yds. 1-9 will optimize the 150 ABLR. 1-8 twist give you the capability to optimize 170 ELITE hunters and 175 Matrix

6c33cb3af13961148b2c5729241ffdb1.jpg

You can probably get away with shooting 1-9, but why limit yourself. You going to buy a new barrel, might as well get one that will work with all the bullets out there.

.277 150 ABLR will stabilize in a 1-9 twist. Berger Twist stability calculator shows SG = 1.55 so adequate. a 1-10 twist only give 1.26 SG with a 7% reduction in BC. At 2950 FPS. 1-8 twist is to optimize to shoot 170 gr Berger Elite Hunter. So you can shoot 150 ABLR in a 1-10 twist just will not optimize BC and will start to stray past 300 to 400 yds. 1-9 will optimize the 150 ABLR. 1-8 twist give you the capability to optimize 170 ELITE hunters and 175 Matrix

Thebear_78":28ep7esz said:
6c33cb3af13961148b2c5729241ffdb1.jpg

You can probably get away with shooting 1-9, but why limit yourself. You going to buy a new barrel, might as well get one that will work with all the bullets out there.

Agreed.... not anything to harm...

djauofd":1zh8520j said:
So you can shoot 150 ABLR in a 1-10 twist just will not optimize BC and will start to stray past 300 to 400 yds.

You don’t need the high BC bullets for under 300-400 yards. At those ranges any standard bullet like the nosler BT or AccuBond is fine and maybe even better at those ranges. If your running high BC bullets it makes no sense to limit thier BC

Nosler up data BC on LRAB

https://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range-bullet/

My 270 has Lilja 1/10 twist and it's long throated and handle 150gr ABLR and I have 270Wby with Rock Creek 5r 1/10 twist barrel and it also handle 150gr ABLR.
On using Berger twist calculator you need to include ALT and I live over 7K and range is over 5k so I OK 270 and my 270Wby also handle Berger 170gr. Where I hunt here in Co I'm normally above 9k.

Matrix is making some 165gr/175gr VLD

https://matrixballistics.com/hunting-bullets/

I ran Berger before I had twist decided. If I was closer I would of done 1/9. When I decide I dropped rifle off gunsmith and he call Lilja and got on speaker also talked about Berger 150gr

Well good luck

I dropped the rifle off at the gun smith's on Wednesday. I decided on a 1:9" twist since I don't plan to use the Berger bullets. He likes to work with Douglas barrels but since they don't provide 1:9" twist, he said he has experience with, and would use, a Hart barrel. He said he would contact Hart and see about availability and delivery. I will check with the gunsmith next week to see if he has a time frame yet.

Dan

NYDAN":dl7gslar said:
I dropped the rifle off at the gun smith's on Wednesday. I decided on a 1:9" twist since I don't plan to use the Berger bullets. He likes to work with Douglas barrels but since they don't provide 1:9" twist, he said he has experience with, and would use, a Hart barrel. He said he would contact Hart and see about availability and delivery. I will check with the gunsmith next week to see if he has a time frame yet.

Dan

Good move with Hart. They are 6 weeks out. Obviously that doesn’t mean your gunsmith is 6 weeks out, but at least he won’t be waiting a year for a barrel.

I am by no means as experienced with LR stuff as many are here. I did short range BR for awhile (300 max) and we always used the minimum twist that would stabilize the bullet. The really experienced guys felt that they got the best accuracy if they were not over-stabilized. Of course we’re talking 25 years ago so much has changed.

Please let us know how she turns out.

Back