H&R 35 Whalen...

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
I know there are some 35 Whalen fans here, and I've come across a 35 Whalen in the H&R Handi rifle with a 26" barrel. Haven't taken the hour drive to the shop that has it to take a look yet. Is it worth the trip to check it out? I am assuming its the new H&R 1871 company .They are claiming 95% which also means they are asking too much for it at350 according to my blue book. But has anyone shot one or heard how they are?

The first gun i ever bought myself was a used H&R topper with a 30-30 and 20 ga barrel, still have it even.

I had one that was quite accurate and had a surprisingly good trigger on it. Mine had a chamber that had the headspace too long so it would occasionally misfire. I necked up brass to 375 and then back down to 358 with a false shoulder and it shot fine, I kept that brass only for that gun. All in all they were pretty nice guns and only a few had the misfires I mentioned. It was an easy fix on my end with handloads.

Still have a couple of pictures of it thankfully.

Man now I miss that gun after looking for the pictures :lol: I'm not sure on pricing on the one you are looking at but they were pretty decent guns.

Look on Gunbroker before you make the drive pard, lots of good deals on the 35 Whelen single shots.

Just saw a bunch of Hunters on GB , new, for $245 or so. the Scout is less than $350.

Back