Scope Covers.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Didn't want to weigh in on the other post before I had a picture, so I could better explain and show what I use for rainy days.

Not saying this is the best, but it does work, and works very well. You will never be accused by your hunting buddies of just getting hunt ready from Cabella's, but who cares?

The cost? Nothing. Any bicycle shop will give you their used innertubes. At least the ones around here do. I cut them so that they are a couple of inches longer than the scope on both ends. Make a slit slightly shorter than the length of the scope so it takes a little stretching to get them on. You could close off the ends with tape or zip ties, I just super glue the ends shut.

A quick tug on the end flap at either end of the scope and it's off. And if you lose it, you're out, well, nothing. Simple, works, and I can make any I need in minutes.

Very nice! Would be a solution for keeping a barrel dry during a rainy hike in. Typically I’ve used balloons from the dollar store..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":96qo685y said:
Very nice! Would be a solution for keeping a barrel dry during a rainy hike in. Typically I’ve used balloons from the dollar store..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It works pretty slick. I do not own a big belled scope so I imagine if trying it on such a scope you would need a bigger circumferance innertube. Maybe like a tube for a mountain bike tire, or even a small front tire tube for a motorcycle.

Couple tricks I found is on used innertubes they often will have sort of a white chalky substance inside them. I assume maybe from moisture in the compressed air when they were pumped up. Once I have it split I wipe inside with rubbing alcohol so that doesn't get on the scope, but it's easy enough to wipe off if it does. I also clean 1/4" or so inside at each end so the glue works well.

And to think.....for 30 plus years, I've been throwing out the shot inner tubes from my wheelchair. All the scope covers I've wasted! And the second thought I had was ... Can you make that into a sling shot when you run out of ammo.... :) CL

Back