New Toy

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I haven't been on here much lately due to learning to shoot a new toy.
I bought an adult spring powered air rifle and it has been a challenge to shoot it accurately past 10yds.
And it's not the rifles fault.
Getting use to shoot it since you have to hold them differently then a cartridge rifle and the recoil is different and the rifle is still moving before the pellet leaves the barrel.
I have been able to keep ten shots inside a nickle at 30yds but it has taken me over 1000 shots to learn how to hold and shoot the rifle.
Oh and I don't have to worry about burning the barrel out. The main spring should be good for 14000 rounds before I need to replace it or the piston seals.
Did you know silencers are legal on them?
And when I need ammo I can pick it up at any Walmart or big box sporting goods store.
But if I'm picky about ammo I can buy it on line.
Here's a picture of my toy but it has a different scope on it now.

Attachments

• KIMG0264.jpeg
    KIMG0264.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 513
Nice looking rifle Rodger, sounds very economical to shoot also.. Even pellet arms are outlawed in the village of Geneseo NY... can't even use one to shoot a varmint raiding a bird feeder. Time to move on to more hospitable environs.
Enjoy the new toy, Rol

Looks great Rodger. Scope seems a little high though. Fits you well?

Rol_P":udka3z26 said:
Nice looking rifle Rodger, sounds very economical to shoot also.. Even pellet arms are outlawed in the village of Geneseo NY... can't even use one to shoot a varmint raiding a bird feeder. Time to move on to more hospitable environs.
Enjoy the new toy, Rol
Thanks Rol.
Geneseo is different for sure. I think NYC and Jersey migrants are to blame.
You can buy a tin of 500 Crosman pellets for $6 or $13 for 500 good pellets.
FOTIS":udka3z26 said:
Looks great Rodger. Scope seems a little high though. Fits you well?
Fotis it has a Zero recoil mount on it which protects the scope from the double backwards recoil that air guns have. The mount does sit high and I have put a Beartooth comb riser on it which takes care of the mount and hog back style Euro stock.
With Spring air rifles you don't use a hard cheek weld and have to grip it firmly but not tightly.
I have the trigger adjusted to 1.5lbs so there is a very light first stage and then a shoulder before the second stage that you can rest on before firing. I can easily set it below 1lb but I wouldn't feel the second stage and blow right threw it since I've already did that.
Setting a trigger on a Spring air rifle is just like a cartridge gun and is personal preference.
The two stage trigger is something you have to learn to deal with starting with it set heavy and then setting it lighter as you learn to shoot it and is very challenging.

Right now I have it sighted in for 30yds and can keep 10 shots inside of a nickle but it has taken me over a month to get it set up and finding the right pellet to be able to do that with it.

The PCP high pressure air rifles are totally different and shot just like a carteidge gun with no recoil but more expensive to get into.
You can start out using a hand pump but will soon get tired of that and buy a scuba tank and then a special compressor and moisture filters to keep the water out which is very bad for the system.
The spring rifles though not the easiest to learn to shoot really well are the simplest and can be a ton of fun. Magnum air rifles are harder to shoot accurately due to the force from the spring and piston recoil but you can have them refined so they cycle smoother with less vibration and recoil.
The 1200fps you see advertised for some of these Nitro ram rifles and spring rifles are with lead free pellets that only weigh 4-5grs and usually are not very accurate. Think of shooting a 110gr bullet loaded to max velocity in your 30-378 Bee. Yeah fast as heck but is it accurate and how long will the barrel last? Same thing for an air rifle only it is the piston and spring that takes the beating.
The rifle I bought can be purchased for $265 plus shipping and comes with an entry level air gun rated scope and the zero recoil mount. That's a $50 scope and a $65 mount. Airguns of Arizona is the only place you can get this rifle since it was a special purchase deal with Diana.
If you want .22 instead of a .177 a good one is the Diana 460 which is a big rifle and magnum rated, magnum rated spring rifle take 40lbs of force to cock ,mine is around 35lbs. Pyramid Air is a good place to buy the 460 and has a good price on them and 4th of July discounts.

Fun new toy for sure! I have an old Stoeger that's a blast to set up near a Hickory tree and pop squirrels.

I'd like to get a good pellet rifle. Awfully fun and useful.

Glad you got one, and that it's working out well.

Guy

Back