What are your favourite underrated cartridges?

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Asked this question on another forum and it has been a very interesting thread to say the least....

My favourite underrated cartridges are:

250 Savage
6.5x55
280 Rem
338 Federal
358 Win
375 Win

Blkram":j8kbqvvj said:
Asked this question on another forum and it has been a very interesting thread to say the least....

My favourite underrated cartridges are:

250 Savage
6.5x55
280 Rem
338 Federal
358 Win
375 Win

338 Fed- 200gr at 2700 FPS out of a 308 case is no joke

358 win-good for anything in NA, love those fatties

375 Raptor- 300 gr at 2550, I want one!

260- a shade faster than CM, but of course 75-100 FPS are amazing until you talk 6.5mm then it’s discounted

I really really want to try one of these 416 Thumpers. It would be a blast on a little SA short 18-20” barrel.
c3ff155349beff79ee0c61d98a00178a.jpg

I have yet to begin to procrastinate

JD338":hvvj2yd7 said:
257 Roberts
280 Remington
30-06 Springfield
375 Winchester

JD338
30-06 - You know JD you are a smart man! I have to agree that the 30-06 is a very underrated cartridge with all the hype for the short fat magnums and even the newer standard length cartridges. The 30-06 is a superb performer and a very accurate round as well. It really works on stuff.

The 280 Remington certainly goes without saying that it is a wonderful cartridge and one of the better all-around cartridges out there for 98% of North American game. Love that round and it's slightly bigger brother the 280 AI..

257 Roberts is a fantastic round as well and is one great coyote, deer, antelope, black bear, and even elk killing son of a gun. Mild recoil and excellent ballistics!

6mm Remington - An excellent and accurate cartridge with better ballistics than the 243 Winchester and even slightly more pop than the new 6mm Creedmoor! What a great coyote, deer, and antelope round. I've sure shot a lot of game with the 6mm Remington and it works so well. I'd sure like to see my other 6mm Remington fans on the Nosler site here shoot an email or two to Nosler and maybe they would start making some brass for this superstar, and possibly even loaded ammunition!! How about a little help here from you folks??

Well Geez... I guess I have a thing for underrated cartridges, and didn't even realize it
257 rob
25-06
30-06
are all in my safe at home.
and how about some love for the ol' 30-30

I think the 7-08 is dramatically underrated. Lots of folks discount it as a "kids and ladies" round...but I've been more than impressed with it over the last few years.

If I lived in the L48, I could do everything with one.

257 Roberts...I shot my first deer with that round, and so did my daughter.

30-40 Krag (it doesn't do anything spectacular, I just love the Krag action)

300H&H....it does about exactly what a 300WSM does, but it's just cool. :)

I think whole series of the old Mauser cartridges and their "wildcats" are underrated:

244 Rem
257 Roberts
7x57
8x57
etc.

.250 & .300 Savage both kill way better than they should.
.30-30 Win, people forget that we once killed a lot of game with one.

This is fun.

.22 WMR - why this one wasn’t and isn’t more popular I will never know. Even with the rise of the various .17 rimfires the WMR is a great round.

.244/6mm Remington - just wrote an article comparing this round and the .243, both of which I use and love. The Remington though is the better of the two cartridges.

.25-35 Winchester - not super versatile in this day and age but way fun to shoot in a levergun and still a nifty deer cartridge.

.25-06 Remington - quite possibly the one reason the .257 caliber sees the popularity that it has today is this round. What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s a great round, one of my favorite rifles.

7x57mm Mauser - My mother’s rifle of choice. She has killed an elk and several deer each with a single round. Sometimes it’s taken her a couple to make a hit but once they’re hit that’s it.

.284 Winchester - The most generally useful cartridge in a Savage 99 as well as the most bang for your buck in the short action, non magnum 7mms out there. Poor marketing and bad reviews are to blame for this round not occupying the pedestal that the 7mm-08 currently enjoys.

.300 Savage - If I could only have a single Savage 99 this would be without question the chambering I would have it in. I killed my first several deer with one and still have it to this day. Easy on the shoulder and the powder keg it packs a good punch.

.30-06 - This cartridge is my absolute favorite. The .30-06 in a Model 70 Winchester is my idea of perfection, offering everything I need and desire in a hunting rifle. My late best friend put it like this, “the ‘06 may not be perfect for anything but works great on everything.” He was just as infatuated as myself, and folks who disagree just don’t know what they’re missing.

8mm Rem Mag - Maybe big red should’ve made the .338 on this case or big green should’ve tried running something bigger than 220 grain bullets to get more attention. Whatever the reason, the .323 bore has never been popular in the U.S. I killed my first couple of elk with this round and the 220 grain Gameking bullet. As it is, the .338s have a way better bullet selection.

Almost all of my favorite cartridges are “under rated” in one shape or form. Though I do use some that are very popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also have to say that here out west, the 35 Remington would be underrated, but for those in the east that have used it so well for long would probably not consider it underrated...

Forgot about the 284...definitely not as popular as its offspring in the 6.5...

The 25-35 has intrigued me over the past 10 years or so and would be a lot of fun! Perhaps someday...

Need to look up that 416 Thumper!
The 375 Raptor sounds pretty cool too...although I should add my 376 Steyr to my list too. Has proven effective on elk and bison with the 260gr AB!

filmjunkie4ever":1mlmk4ey said:
This is fun.

.244/6mm Remington - just wrote an article comparing this round and the .243, both of which I use and love. The Remington though is the better of the two cartridges. Amen

.25-06 Remington - quite possibly the one reason the .257 caliber sees the popularity that it has today is this round. What can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s a great round, one of my favorite rifles.

7x57mm Mauser - My mother’s rifle of choice. She has killed an elk and several deer each with a single round. Sometimes it’s taken her a couple to make a hit but once they’re hit that’s it. How did I forget this great round?

.30-06 - This cartridge is my absolute favorite. The .30-06 in a Model 70 Winchester is my idea of perfection, offering everything I need and desire in a hunting rifle. My late best friend put it like this, “the ‘06 may not be perfect for anything but works great on everything.” He was just as infatuated as myself, and folks who disagree just don’t know what they’re missing.Dang right it's a great one!

338-06: Need to add that one I think.

250 Savage was in the top of the list!! (y) :lol: :lol: :lol: !!
22 WMR
17 Hornet (would be fun to try)
222 Rem.
250 Savage
260 Rem
25WSM (What Winchester should have made)
7mm-08 (had one regret selling it)
444 Marlin (would be fun to try)
20Ga slug (wish they would have had a few more ammo options when I bought my 12ga)
A BP 45-70 (would be fun to try)

Knew you'd love that one CL! LOL

Yes, the 338-06 should be here too!

Back