Rescue Winchester 1895

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I came across a Winchester 1895 on a local classified. It had been rebarreled with a stainless 35 whelen barrel.

Overall it wasn’t that well done. The font sight was crooked with a noticeable left lean and the flat metal butt pad definitely leaves something to be desired. I could see the potential in it and decided I needed to rescue it.

It feeds and chambers 35 whelen ammo. I’m going to take it to the range tomorrow. If it shoots well I’ll have the barrel bead blasted and a set of NECG banded front and adjustable rear sights installed. Along with a nice soft grind to fit pad.

If it has issues shooting I might just have it rebarreled to something fun like 400 whelen or 9.3x62

8864981e237695453df31141dfc61532.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An 1895 Winchester chamber in any of those cartridges would be most interesting. I can definitely see the utility of such chambering in Alaska, or here in BC.

Cool find. The .405 Winchester would be a lot of fun.

JD338

Very cool. I hope it turns out to be a shooter! I like your idea about the sights.

Guy

Always had an itch to do a 35 Whelen in a 1895. Didn't know if it could be done. Really cool, hope it works out for you.

Scott

Took it to the range today, chamber looks good. Functioned perfectly and cases looked good. It shot .75” 3 shot group at 50 yards. Tried two factory loads and equal results.

It shoots high and left by several inches owing to the crooked and apparently short front sight.

Looks like I’m going to just have the barrel bead blasted and a set of NECG sights. Banded classic up front and maybe their running boar rear or maybe full moon barrel mounted peep. A nice soft grind to fit pad too.

Thinking a red or green fiber optic bead on the classic banded for the full moon or white bead with the running boar sight.

27eccc03dd5a8660cb6d6fc81d89a96c.jpg

4c1a29e000687949d76e2157f17550b0.jpg

ce455e7d355ffda759a6547ec8e37041.jpg

Some guys have all the luck. I’ve never owned one but shot several, keep hoping one follows me home.
Given my 64 year old eyes I vote for the full moon rear sight.

Man, now that is a cool danged rifle! Can't wait to hear about it once you get some new sights put on it.

muleman":3141mmpu said:
Always had an itch to do a 35 Whelen in a 1895. Didn't know if it could be done. Really cool, hope it works out for you.

Scott

I saw one a few years back at a gun show. Price wasn't all that bad but the gun was pretty loose so I passed. Currently I have a Browning clone of the 1895 Winchester and I've been thinking of having it rebored to .35 Whelen. Definitely will need a decent recoil pad.
Paul B.

muleman":xf73j5aj said:

Scott
Me too. I got to shoot one in .35 WCF once, it was super cool!

Finally getting around to dropping this off at the gunsmith. My smith works construction during the summer and will be getting back to smithing soon.

My plans have changed slightly. Still going with the NECG banded front sight bit going to use the skinner bolt mounted peep in stead of the NECG REAR.
d670a2278d396507ec43ec36eb8f1eea.jpg

I’ve also picked up a browning BLR scout rail that fits perfectly to the barrel contour in front of the receiver. A small red dot or scout scope could do well on that set up.

My current dilemma is barrel length. It’s 23.5” at the moment. I’m thinking going shorter. 18-20” should be a decent compromise. I had an 18” Remington 750 that would do 2400+ FPS with 250s. I would be satisfied with that performance.

Any of you have a shorty 35 whelen? Anyone ever try 16”? I don’t anticipate this to be a long range rifle but would like to get 300+!yards effective range.

Bear, I still think you’ll be faster than a 358 Win and I’d have zero qualms with letting a moose or elk have it with a 250 started out at 2300-2400.

Back