Savage makeover - GRS Bifrost stock

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
I have mentioned in other threads that my son is a 'para' - dependent on his wheelchair but great upper body strength. There are also other threads which discuss comfort when shooting, and the problems as we get older and deal with physical challenges. For him, the limitations when planted in that chair make holding a rifle awkward when either hunting or shooting from benches and rests of various types.
His most recent solution: a Savage 116 6.5x284 Norma which he just installed a GRS Bifrost stock on. This thing has adjustability to the max: buttplate elevation and angle, cheekpiece positioning, stock length, angled pistol grip, multiple accessory attachment points and methods. Changes are easily and quickly made without tools.
This really isn't a product review, because he hasn't had a chance to put it to use yet. He does report that it is amazingly comfortable and natural feeling, more so than anything he's had. This rifle is a great shooter with the original stock, so accuracy testing is coming as well. If it works out, I can see this type stock as a possible solution for some of the rest of us.

Attachments

• dave_bifrost.jpeg
    dave_bifrost.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 350
I'll be looking forward to your assessment as you have opportunity to wring out the firing system in the field. The design does appear to be well thought out.

Can you fix a two-point rest to the wheelchair?
Like the ones for the thrigger-stick?
He should be able to get on target with one of those if properly fixed to the chair

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Limited shooting time today he said. The rifle did not change zero when switching stocks, first time I've heard of that. He is really happy with it so far. Rang a playing card size gong at 400 yds. several times, but the comfort, lack of recoil and control features are what he keeps talking about so far. Glad he put in for the Wyo tags that he did. His load with 140 Berger Elite Hunter is running 2850 fps. We know that others squeeze maybe another 100 fps, but this is an accuracy node for sure. The "barrel burner" tag some have applied to the round, if justified, should not be a factor with this load. More to come.

That’s one of the more appealing looking-to me at least-of these new modern adjustable stocks. Hope it works out well for him. That is an excellent cartridge also.

Back