JES rebore 35 Whelen

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Those of you who had a 35 rebore job done which number of groves did you go with and how pleased with it are you? See they offer options? Dan.

is it cost effective to do this ? the cost of labor I'm thinking a new barrel would be about the same price .

jimbires":152hj109 said:
is it cost effective to do this ? the cost of labor I'm thinking a new barrel would be about the same price .

Jim, in my experience if you like the gun and the current barrel it is quite cost effective. 250 gets you a cut rifled barrel and chamber job of your choice. They’re usually very accurate.

Most barrels are 300-450 all by themselves let along the 250-400 bucks for a smith to chamber, thread and set up a new barrel.

I’ve done a few and it’ll take a stinker to a shooter since he drills out the old and rerifles it basically turning it into a new barrel, with a nicely done crown.

boy was I wrong on that . I thought it would cost a lot more than $250 . that's really a good price . about how long of a turn around time does it usually take ?

All I will add is my gunsmith wants $750 to put a new Douglas barrel on a controlled feed action. $850 on a Ruger #1.
Paul B.

jimbires":2fqkbabs said:
boy was I wrong on that . I thought it would cost a lot more than $250 . that's really a good price . about how long of a turn around time does it usually take ?

About a week, 2 at most. The gun will spend longer in transit to and from JES than it does at his shop.

It’s really pretty fun if you have a rifle you like but it has a stinker barrel Or you just wanna try something else. He’s done a Whelen, 9.3x62, 35 Newton and 375 Improved for me. Not a complaint.

SJB358":1bvp8x7e said:
jimbires":1bvp8x7e said:

About a week, 2 at most. The gun will spend longer in transit to and from JES than it does at his shop.

It’s really pretty fun if you have a rifle you like but it has a stinker barrel Or you just wanna try something else. He’s done a Whelen, 9.3x62, 35 Newton and 375 Improved for me. Not a complaint.
Thanks for the information. Dan.

SJB358":1chzl7cq said:
jimbires":1chzl7cq said:

sounds good all the way around . that's quick service .

Good information. It sure gives a fella something to think about.

JD338

I’ve got a 760 270 on my dining table that’s probably going to be a good 338-06 candidate. Never had one and I figured if it’s real good one of my NY family would love it for pounding bucks and bears.

JES rebored my .308 Savage 99C to .358 Winchester and did an excellent job. My only issue now is to figure out how to rework my magazines. Put two cartridges in the magazine and it will insert into the magazine well and feed ok. If I put a third in the magazine it gets EXTREMELY difficult to insert into the well. Right now it works fine as a 3 shot rifle, if I hand feed one into the chamber.

I had JES rebore a M70 CRPF to 35 Whelen Ackley Improved 4 lands 1-12 twist. I had to send it back to get the chamber lengthened since it was too short to load magazine length rounds and I was jamming the lands with mag length loads. I had sent him dummy rounds for the OAL I wanted the chamber cut to.
He recut the chamber throat and sent it back for the cost of shipping.
It is a one hole 5 shot rifle when I do my part.

grry10":3rhykg83 said:
JES rebored my .308 Savage 99C to .358 Winchester and did an excellent job. My only issue now is to figure out how to rework my magazines. Put two cartridges in the magazine and it will insert into the magazine well and feed ok. If I put a third in the magazine it gets EXTREMELY difficult to insert into the well. Right now it works fine as a 3 shot rifle, if I hand feed one into the chamber.

I’ve been thinking of a 338 Federal on an older M99 that needs to be refinished anyhow. Thinking a 338 might be fun. I’ve got a whole bunch of 210 PTs that might work great.

I do like the 338 Federal, Scotty. It is, of course, a virtual twin of the 358 Win, with the exception that you have a broader selection of bullets to select from when hand loading. Mine has accounted for one moose, so far. However, I am comfortable with it on about any game I might encounter here.

DrMike":17fx69jk said:
I do like the 338 Federal, Scotty. It is, of course, a virtual twin of the 358 Win, with the exception that you have a broader selection of bullets to select from when hand loading. Mine has accounted for one moose, so far. However, I am comfortable with it on about any game I might encounter here.

I remember your little 338 Federal Mike. I’d love to get my hands on some of the 200 grain Trophy Bonded Tips. I really like them Bullets. Glad Federal is keeping them going but getting about anything right now is tough.

I might struggle with them ol Partitions for awhile. I have a whole bunch of them.

Recently, I'm focusing more on the 180 grain AB and the 200 grain E-Tip. Personal bias, I know, but I believe it will give enough "oomph" to take down anything I might want to shoot. On top of everything else, it is in a Featherweight, which means I don't have to be ashamed when I carry it. :mrgreen:

Trust it is a great Thanksgiving for you and yours, Scotty.

SJB358":2zmknth2 said:
I’ve got a 760 270 on my dining table that’s probably going to be a good 338-06 candidate. Never had one and I figured if it’s real good one of my NY family would love it for pounding bucks and bears.

Best use of a .270 ever.

BK":3skzmtwk said:
SJB358":3skzmtwk said:

Best use of a .270 ever.

Got tired of a 270 just knocking everything off it’s feet... figured I’d try something more sporting :mrgreen:

DrMike":3skzmtwk said:
Recently, I'm focusing more on the 180 grain AB and the 200 grain E-Tip. Personal bias, I know, but I believe it will give enough "oomph" to take down anything I might want to shoot. On top of everything else, it is in a Featherweight, which means I don't have to be ashamed when I carry it. :mrgreen:

Trust it is a great Thanksgiving for you and yours, Scotty.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yeah, it’s hard to find a bullet that won’t work for me. It won’t likely get used for much outside of deer and black bear.

JES is just down the road from me and have stopped into his shop for a chat about a project. Super nice guy and his work is impeccable.

Back