338-06

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I had a SS M70 Classic in 30-06 in my safe for quite awhile. It has the grey laminate stock on it and for awhile I couldn't decide what to do with it. I already have one great 30-06 so decided to send it off to JES for a rebore. I sent him a dummy with a 225 AB for throating, knowing that it would work fine for about any reasonable bullet I will use in it. Anyhow, got the gun back from JES and loaded 50 rounds up with 52 grains of 4064. 1/2 with 225 Hornady SP's and the other half with 225 Speer BTSP's. I'd shoot it 10 rounds and clean it back to bare metal. Well, once I'd worked through all the brass, I decided to try the 225 ABs. I have quite a pile of them and they are a good enough bullet for anything I'd tackle with it.

That's generally what it was doing in between cleanings. Nothing special, but everytime I cleaned it, it got better.

Once I started with the 225's, I started them about .050" which was right at mag length and started the workup with RL17.

60 and 61 grains looked pretty decent. On a hunch, I decided to try 61 grains and back them off for a grand total of .075 off the lands.

Shot the first group and was thinking, man, this thing may just shoot decent.

Well, now I am thinking I will shorten them another .010 and see what the paper says. Speed looks decent right at 2700 FPS.

Also might try another 1/2 grain to tighten it up as well.

Anyhow, for you all on the fence of trying out JES, don't hesitate, he does good work and has less than a 2 week turn around from the time you send your barreled action off.

The rifle is attractive with the stainless barrel and laminate stock. Obviously, it will shoot quite well. A 225 grain pill at 2700 fps will work very well indeed. FWIW, I almost always wound up close to .100 inches o0ff the lands with ABs.

The rifle is attractive with the stainless barrel and laminate stock. Obviously, it will shoot quite well. A 225 grain pill at 2700 fps will work very well indeed. FWIW, I almost always wound up close to .100 inches o0ff the lands with ABs.

You know Mike, I always think about that. Then, my brain gets int the way and says, "what if there is an AWESOME" load at .055" and I miss it :p

Beautiful rifle and impressive speed with the 225 AB. Give her more jump and you will end up where you want to be.

JD338

I reread the thread, and I may have missed it, but how long is the barrel on that rifle? Just asking, because I'm curious about 338-06 performance, as I like the cartridge and would need to almost certainly re-bore a rifle into it. Thanks.

Awesome rifle project Scotty. Horsepower there.

What are you trying to achieve? is it to put holes in paper to food on the plate? If the former, then keep toiling away, if the latter then you are done now get out and get some game, I say!

Looking good Scotty. Maybe seating the bullet a tad deeper will bring in that flyer. As is s, she's ready to hunt. Nice work.

JD338

I got your back on JES reboring, he does great work. My 35 Whelen Ackley Improved thinks it's a Sniper rifle.
I did opt for the 4 lands and grooves cut, what did you get on the 338-06?
3 groove for this one. I honestly haven't had him do anything but 3's.. I guess I'm cheap :cool:

I reread the thread, and I may have missed it, but how long is the barrel on that rifle? Just asking, because I'm curious about 338-06 performance, as I like the cartridge and would need to almost certainly re-bore a rifle into it. Thanks.
23" is what I measure. I had him cut it and recrown it. Seems fine, 22 would be great as well. It seems like an easy to please cartridge so far.

I am calling this one good enough. The barrel feels alot smoother and seems to clean up pretty decent now. I will say and I may be full of stuffing, but I wouldn't even try to do much load work till you get about 50 rounds through the gun. I cleaned between 10 rounds till I got to 50 and now it seems to be as good as about anything else. They tend to grab copper pretty good till you get it smoothed out, but now, I am barely seeing much in the bore at about 10 rounds yesterday.

Good enough for a rebore.

That'll do. More than adequate for about anything you would ever hunt in NA. (y)

Nice looking rifle in a well-rounded caliber big enough for all our critters. Looks like you are ready for a hunting trip. Will this one go on an elk hunt this fall? Dan.

3 groove for this one. I honestly haven't had him do anything but 3's.. I guess I'm cheap :cool:
You had other experience with his 3 groove barrels and I didn't so 4 is what I went for.
One thing is for sure and that is the more you shoot it the smoother it gets and the more accurate it gets, at least mine did.

Thank you. It seems the most common length for OTC 30-06 is 22 inches, so that would most likely be what I would get re-cut.

Looks like you’re there👍
I like to get a minimum of 50 down the tube first.

Back