280 AI, 132gr Tipped Hammer

nhenry

Handloader
Feb 7, 2022
For this season’s muley hunt, I decided to work up a load with the new 132gr HHT, courtesy of @AFG270’s kindness.
I chose:
- Hybrid 100V as the powder.
- Remington 9 1/2 LR primers.
- Peterson 280 AI brass, once fired.

I started working up from 55gr to 57gr in .5gr increments. Never hit pressure (except for a slight cratering in the with 2 of the 57gr loads). All of the loads shot under an inch, but I chose the 56.5gr load because I can. It cruises along around 3150 fps

The target:
IMG_8836.jpeg
For the 55gr load, there were a couple fellas next to me sighting in a 6.5 PRC. They accidentally shot my target, which is the furthest right hole in that target.

In the 55.5gr load, I accidentally bumped the elevation target down a click, so I subtracted .25” from that group.

Tonight I loaded up the rest of the empty once fired brass I had (27) and I’ll do a final sight in this weekend before the season starts on the 29th. I obviously won’t use them all, so I’ll mess around with crimping in the off season to see if I can get groups to tighten up

IMG_8874.jpeg

Obligatory pic of my rifle, which I replaced the bolt shroud on a few days ago:
IMG_8853.jpeg

Nice shooting. Ready to hunt.
Good luck to you this season.

JD338

Looks great, good luck on your hunt. Love the look of that rifle every time I see it!
Still gets me giddy that I even own it 😁

Is that a Weatherby?

Your load workup looks good to go. I hope you get to let the air out of one with the Hammers.
Thanks! And no, it’s a 700. I replaced the shroud with a Lawton style one from PT&G

Nice shooting buddy! I hope you bring home a big muley.
Yes, that's a beautiful rifle.
You and me both. I’m running out of venison and buying beef just ain’t the same. Thanks a bunch, Allen

Last edited:
That is fine work at the reloading bench and again on the firing line. The load will work.

Very nice! great work on the reloading bench as well as the shooting bench. That should work outstanding on any critter you care to put one in.. I went with the 140 absolute hammer in my 280 AI with StaBall 6.5 and it's zipping along at 3235 from my 22" tube. Couldn't snag H100V locally, or I probably would have went with it first. But I'm completely satisfied with what I'm getting from StaBall.

Attachments

• IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 8
Very nice! great work on the reloading bench as well as the shooting bench. That should work outstanding on any critter you care to put one in.. I went with the 140 absolute hammer in my 280 AI with StaBall 6.5 and it's zipping along at 3235 from my 22" tube. Couldn't snag H100V locally, or I probably would have went with it first. But I'm completely satisfied with what I'm getting from StaBall.
That's excellent speed and accuracy Howie.

JD338

Thanks. Those absolute hammers do generate impressive velocities. I couldn’t get the speeds others are claiming, with “claiming” being the operative word.
That's still some great velocity with a 140 out of a 22" barrel. Good job, Howie.
When I got my stash of H100V, I couldn't find Staball anywhere. I suppose it'd work well in my case as well.

Back