Introduction to the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I have been reading some of the cartridge introductions in the new Nosler Reloading Guide 9.

Below is the last paragraph of the introduction to the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum written by Adam Weatherby, the CEO of Weatherby, Inc. and grandson of the founder.

His comments are refreshing and surprisingly candid. He writes:

"For decades, the go-to caliber in North America has been the 30 caliber. If one is looking for the fastest and hardest hitting in its class, you don't need to look further than the 30-378 Wby Mag. Does it need a muzzle brake to help tames its recoil? Highly recommended. Does it burn out barrels? Well, maybe faster than most. Is the brass cheap? Not really. However a Ferrari tends to go through tires pretty fast. After all, you don't buy the fastest if you are worried about efficiency. You tend to go for speed if you want maximum performance and bragging rights to your friends, and for this reason the 30-378 Wby Mag will not disappoint".

Not that I an inclined to buy a 30-378 Wby Mag. but I tip my hat to Mr. Weatherby for some great writing.

In my opinion, this manual is worth getting if for nothing else than the great introductions. Well done, Nosler.

Dan

(y)

Agree. If you want excellent accuracy and long barrel life, get a 308 Win.

If you want excellent accuracy and gobs of velocity, get a big cased 30 magnum.

Well you all know mw and Bees....... I am not going to disagree with Adam.

I personally prefer the 300 RUM. It's only 100fps behind the 30-378, burns 15g less powder, and fits in a standard action. Just me though!

Back