What would you do?

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I'm driving myself nuts thinking about filling the gap between my the 260 Rem and new 35 Whelen. I need a flat shooting gun for goats, deer and sheep that can still handle a moose or elk. Having to shoot left handed really cuts down on the choices I have.

Different options

1) I have a 270 Win take off barrel from the 35 Whelen project I could have this put on my Rem 700 magnum action and have it rechambered to 270 Wby. I have always thought it was a neat round it would certainly fit what I need the only real downside is expensive Weatherby brass. Since I have the barrel it would be pretty inexpensive to get up and shooting.

2) The 7mm Rem mag could do the same as above just need to find a barrel, would do everthing I could want and do it cheaper than the 270 Weatherby. Can also use my Sako L691 for this as well.

3) Sell a couple of guns and buy a 7mm RM.

4) Have a 280 Rem built or buy an Montana,this is intrigueing it would also do everthing I could want and have even less recoil than the other two.

5) Buy a 30-06, also very versatile, easy to find and inexpensive to shoot.

What would you do 270 Wby, 7mm RM, 280 or 30-06?

It doesn't sound as if any of the options you list would be bad. I do like the 7RM and the 280, but the 30-06 is for sure a great cartridge. I notice you didn't list any of the WSMs. I wouldn't short change the 300WSM or the 7WSM, for that matter.

DrMike":2z4tszcj said:
It doesn't sound as if any of the options you list would be bad. I do like the 7RM and the 280, but the 30-06 is for sure a great cartridge. I notice you didn't list any of the WSMs. I wouldn't short change the 300WSM or the 7WSM, for that matter.

The 7mm WSM would be interesting for some reason I don't really want any 300 magnum except maybe a 300 H&H. The listed rounds would all do well for what I want.

Gerry,

I would look hard at the 280 Remington or a 280 AI.
With the right loads, both give up little to a 7mm Rem Mag.
The 140 gr bullets can do 3000/3200 fps amd the 160 gr bullets can do 2850/3000 fps.
Those two weights will cover most of NA. The 260 Rem for the light stuff and the 35 Whelen for the heavy lifting gives you a 3 gun battery for everything.

JD338

Hey gerry, I would go for the 280 but would really like the 280AI.
The 140gr ABs would hum and for deer,sheep & goats it would be ideal.
I really think that I am going to go to the 280AI before the fall of 2013 :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

...well, .358-.264=94/2=47+.264=.311

There you go, pulling math on us. Who can argue with such precision? :mrgreen: On the other hand, the Arisaka would be interesting.

Build the 270Bee. I found tons of once fired brass on GB for about a buck a piece. Matter of fact I might make that brass availible if my 270Bee sells.

Scott

JD338":275lo7bm said:
Gerry,

I would look hard at the 280 Remington or a 280 AI.
With the right loads, both give up little to a 7mm Rem Mag.
The 140 gr bullets can do 3000/3200 fps amd the 160 gr bullets can do 2850/3000 fps.
Those two weights will cover most of NA. The 260 Rem for the light stuff and the 35 Whelen for the heavy lifting gives you a 3 gun battery for everything.

JD338

Or you can cheat like I did on my 280 AI and give her 28" of tube and snort a 160 @ 3160. I'm expecting 3000 outta 175 PT hopefully shoot them this week.

With the mention of goats, sheep, and deer first, I would go with the .280. Although you really can't go wrong with the .30-06 as well.

Gerry, I vote for the 7 Rem Mag. Easy to come by brass and very easy to load for as well. I like the 7WSM a little more, but since you have a 270 barrel, there wouldn't be anything wrong with the 270WSM either. 150's at 3100 pretty serious stuff..

I'm not too sure you could set the barrel back enough to make the .270 WSM work...

I'd always opt for the 270Wby, if given the choice. I'm concerned, though, that you'd be building it on a 22" barrel from a Remington 270Win? That might create a heck of a fireball and will certainly limit you to pedestrian velocities along the lines of the 270WSM. :twisted: :twisted:

In reality, if I were filling a gap like yours, and I wanted something that would do all of North America except the great bears, and component cost is a concern, I'd be hard pressed not to go with 7mmRemMag. The 'bee brass can now be had for less than you think - around $1.25 apiece new right now (Norma headstamp) from Grafs. Alternately, you can source Nosler or Weatherby headstamped for around $140-150 if you shop a bit. That's expensive, yes, but considering 7mmRemMag brass is running $65 for junk Remington brass, and $100 for Nosler brass, it's not as bad as it sounds. I get plenty of loads from my Norma headstamped brass, by the way. Much of it is on load #5-6 and still going strong.

Of course, just to recircle the argument, if you have a Remington action that was a 270Win, a 280Rem or 30-06 would be an easy build.

The 270 barrel is 24" so the Weatherby would be good to go. Got to go to work, will check in again tonight.

I did a lot of fooling around on http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jb ... mp-5.1.cgi all the rounds are really not that much different. I decided to drop the 270 Weatherby even though it is a great round, the others can do the same things cheaper and the ammo and brass are easier to find. I was a bit surprised how well the 30-06 compared to the other rounds, there is a reason it is so popular. With good loads the 280 also performs surprisingly well even compared to the magnum rounds. I would say it is coming down to the 280 or 30-06, but if a good deal can be found for a 7mm RM I still might buy one. I also looked at the 7mm-08 for my wife, man what a little performer it is, with mild recoil. The 35 Whelen will be able to take any shot I would ever want to try at an elk or moose, it does really well at longer range with a bullet like the 225 gr AB.

Thanks to all for their input so far like I said in the first post I can drive myself nuts trying to decide which one will be the best for me.

Gerry, I almost quit using my Model 70 .30-06 because it was a USRAC Model 70 Composite (1996) and was pretty doggy looking. So, I used my .270 Win and .280 Rem which were nicer rifles much more for deer hunting. The reality is that I finally ungraded the wood and put a new one peice floorplate into the .30-06 and it still shoots more accurately than any other larged centerfire rifle that I own. So, I have sold the .280 and will use the .30-06 more because it really does do almost anything that I want it to do in spades.

Either cartridge will serve you well, Gerry. I like them both, though I'm probably a tad biased toward the .280. The primary reason for this is that it is somewhat more rare than the .30-06, which is more pedestrian by virtue of being so commonplace. On the other hand, if all one had was a 30-06, it would get the job done.

Back