What do you think is wrong with this 270?

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
Hello everyone!

Last year i traded my left hand Rem 700 BDL in 7mm for a right and 270 of the same model for my daughter.
I unfortunately put it in the safe without much of an inspection, and now that i’m starting working on it, i noticed there’s pitting on the bolt face. No worring much about it i tried a few factory loads. All weren’t bad accuracy wise, but alway 200 fps slower than expected.
i also tried a load that my own Carl Gustaf in 270 likes very much. a 130gr TTSX over 57.5gr H4831sc, which is a pretty mild load.
and is consistently sub 3/4 moa in my gun, and 2930fps average.

In my daughters Rem 700, they shot sub moa for 5 shots, velocity was only 2750fps. but all the primers were very flat.

Does those informations tells there’s something wrong with the rifle?
I’ve shot 130gr interlock with 60gr H4831sc.
primers were about as flat.

thanks

What were you using to measure the velocity with?
Are far as flat primers , I going to say generous headspace. This is why I don’t mix brass in the same caliber. The shoulder set back is fine for your rifle but too long for hers. Upon firing the primer backs out slightly due to the excessive headspace , and the brass slams back into the bolt face giving you the flat primer look.

What were you using to measure the velocity with?
Are far as flat primers , I going to say generous headspace. This is why I don’t mix brass in the same caliber. The shoulder set back is fine for your rifle but too long for hers. Upon firing the primer backs out slightly due to the excessive headspace , and the brass slams back into the bolt face giving you the flat primer look.
I’m measuring velocity with a Chrono pal.
it’s always been dead on with drop to 600y with various load on various gun in the last 13 years.
and i was shooting alternately my 300win to let the second rifle’s barrel cool between groups. and the velocity is always the same with each load for each rifle. So i’m 100% confident in these readings

Could be headspace issue, have you measured the base to datum line on a sized case and again after it’s been fired in that chamber? That will give you a good idea of how much it’s stretching. If it looks like it might be excessive, I’d rent a set of go no-go gauges. Also a carbon ring will cause pressure signs early.

Remington's typically have had a fairly long throat in them. Maybe try a couple measurements and you might see a decent difference between your two rifles.

Try scrubbing the barrel with a good copper fouling solvent. A deep cleaning just might bring it around.

JD338
if the barrel was that fouled the accuracy wouldn't be there and if it was that fouled you'd see it at the muzzle. Flattened primers are not necessarily an issue but as long as no stiff bolt lift is occurring, and the next primer isn't easily seated, then that particular load for that particular rifle is fine. Backing off a bit to feel comfortable if you feel necessary.

Hello everyone!

Last year i traded my left hand Rem 700 BDL in 7mm for a right and 270 of the same model for my daughter.
I unfortunately put it in the safe without much of an inspection, and now that i’m starting working on it, i noticed there’s pitting on the bolt face. No worring much about it i tried a few factory loads. All weren’t bad accuracy wise, but alway 200 fps slower than expected.
i also tried a load that my own Carl Gustaf in 270 likes very much. a 130gr TTSX over 57.5gr H4831sc, which is a pretty mild load.
and is consistently sub 3/4 moa in my gun, and 2930fps average.

In my daughters Rem 700, they shot sub moa for 5 shots, velocity was only 2750fps. but all the primers were very flat.

Does those informations tells there’s something wrong with the rifle?
I’ve shot 130gr interlock with 60gr H4831sc.
primers were about as flat.

thanks
I tried a 58 grain charge and it was stiff. Bolt was stiff opening and recoil was slightly excessive. But as I said each rifle is different.

Back