6.5 / 06

Yonkyu

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
I am using this rifle for Northern California general hunting purposes and I am interested in seeing how many others enjoy this cartridge.

By and large, I shoot the 120g ballistic tip and so far so good, but I have some 140g b-tips yet to use as well as some 125g partitions.

Without a chronograph handy, but based on loading data, I believe I am moving the 120g b-tip @ 3000fps +.

Seems like this round is ballistically similar to a 7mm Rem Mag.

Your thoughts?

Yonkyu":3uid98dg said:
I am using this rifle for Northern California general hunting purposes and I am interested in seeing how many others enjoy this cartridge.

By and large, I shoot the 120g ballistic tip and so far so good, but I have some 140g b-tips yet to use as well as some 125g partitions.

Without a chronograph handy, but based on loading data, I believe I am moving the 120g b-tip @ 3000fps +.

Seems like this round is ballistically similar to a 7mm Rem Mag.

Your thoughts?
Well, I like the 6.5 bullets, but I don't think I would compare a 6.5/06 to a 7mm Remington Magnum. You might get that 120 gr ballistic tip to 3100 fps or so, but the big 7 will push a 120 gr B-Tip at better than 3400 easy. Many have referred to the 6.5/06 as the thinking man's .270 Win. Better bullets available with better shapes and better terminal performance with similar recoil. I sure like the 6.5x55 Swede, as it provides excellent medium game performance with minimal recoil. I just can't think of anything the 6.5/06 can do that I can't do with my .270 WSM or standard .270 Winchester. But I am sure that I would rather shoot your 6.5/06 with 120 gr ballistic tips than a 7mm Rem Mag with 120 gr ballistic tips!

Maybe I misstated my thought. On a bullet weight to bullet weight comparison, they are quite different rifles.

My thought centered more on the similarity of the two in terms of their handling. They are both capable rifles at range. They both seem to shoot flat, similar to each other.

I enjoy the lighter kick on the 6.5, it's comfortable, whereas the 7mm is stout.

By no means is the 6.5 the equal of the 7mm.

I have had a 6.5-'06 for some years, and it is my Western deer rifle. I have shot loads from 120 grain to 165 grain (it is a 9" twist Shilen barrel). At the 160 grain end you need round-nosed bullets, the spitzers are generally too long to stabilize.

I am shooting some 120 grain Swifts now, but the 125 grain Partition is probably all you need on deer.

jim

Back