Eastman's Hunting Journal bullet test

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents,

EHJ put 9 "elk bullets" through some tests, and the results are published in the magazine I got this week in the mail.

The AccuBond performed well in pretty much all categories. The Partition was best in penetration, but also had the smallest "wound channel". Smaller hole = more penetration. Also, the Partition was the slowest to "open up", likely making it the best for shoulder shots.

Needless to say, I wouldn't worry about either on elk. I'll still be loading Partitions likely.

v/r
Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the heads up.
Did they mention caliber, bullet weights and velocity?

JD338

Joel,

recieved the same magazine this week. Very good article. I have reread it at least 3 times.
Maybe the article is online somewhere? Brian

JD338":3m2tvgfs said:
Joel,

Thanks for the heads up.
Did they mention caliber, bullet weights and velocity?

JD338
Jim they used one rifle, 300 Win Mag to shoot different factory loads with different 180 gr. bullets (each load chronographed) to have as fair of comparison to judge things on as they could. I read it earlier. It was a great article. As Joel stated, the AccuBond and Partition di quite well as we would expect, but the E-tip in Winchester's loading did quite well also. It had the quickest expansion with the second deepest penetration at 15.12 inches, a good expansion diameter, and the third highest % of recovered bullet weight at 98.8%.
Great heads up on that Joel, that was a good test they did. I've heard about that product "the Bullet Test Tube" that can be re-used again and again. All you have to do is warm it up to a liquid again and then fill the tube once more. I've been thinking about trying that, but the water jugs does a pretty fair comparison also and when we all use the same type of jug, I would feel that our tests are fairly accurate across the board.
David
David

Makes it easy for everyone to participate and share knowledge through a variety of calibers velocities. Plus its pretty inexpensive and a ton of fun.

nvbroncrider":2pgo3f97 said:
Makes it easy for everyone to participate and share knowledge through a variety of calibers velocities. Plus its pretty inexpensive and a ton of fun.
That too. I can't wait to get out hopefully in a couple weeks and try to catch a couple bullets in water at 400 and 500 yards. Wish me luck! :shock:
David

Man, I would like to read that test. Love when magazines do good tests.. The 300WM is about as good an elk rifle as it gets as well.. Great choice.

I'm surprised that the Partition was the slowest to open up. My experience has been that they open up rather quickly. I've shot the .308 Partitions in 165gr and 180gr flavors out of 30-06 and never felt that they stayed thin for long. I would expect the 300WM to really pop em open. :?

Much more standardization/control using that bullet test tube than game though so I'll accept it as written.

I think that Eastman's is one of the premier sources for hunting/shooting info as they tend to not be shills for the manufacturers. They do throw a lot of advertising into their articles and website but I feel their reviews are honest. They tend to review quality products so many receive good ratings but they also point out areas of improvement/deficiency when noted.

CatskillCrawler":32kqx9gp said:
They tend to review quality products so many receive good ratings but they also point out areas of improvement/deficiency when noted.

The article mentions the Partition has the smallest wound channel, that they were surprised and thought it could be better.

But that's tradeoff of best penetration, I guess.

Considering these were 180gr .30 cal bullets, it doesn't suprise me the partitions didn't open up quickly, and had the smallest wound channel. In addition, the velocity and test medium would of effected the results as well. Too bad they didn't include the 180gr BT as well. That would of made for an interesting comparison.

Antelope_Sniper":1omth14j said:
Considering these were 180gr .30 cal bullets, it doesn't suprise me the partitions didn't open up quickly, and had the smallest wound channel. In addition, the velocity and test medium would of effected the results as well. Too bad they didn't include the 180gr BT as well. That would of made for an interesting comparison.

I agree AS, the 308 180 gr BT can hold its own against the others quite well.

JD338

I'm not surprised at the small wound channel from the Partition - that goes along with what I've seen in the field. They're still my favorite all-around hunting bullet.

Eastman's is a good magazine - love all the self-told hunting stories. Often there is scant attention paid to the rifle/cartridge/bullet/scope used - which makes it more of a hunting story instead of a technical piece on handloading. I like that.

Several years ago I considered using that Bullet Test Tube for my bullet testing, but my wallet rebelled and I ended up staying with my FREE plastic milk jugs. Now if I was a big shot outdoor writer, I just might use that bullet test tube - it gives a real good look at the wound channel.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":29yyjqbj said:
Several years ago I considered using that Bullet Test Tube for my bullet testing, but my wallet rebelled and I ended up staying with my FREE plastic milk jugs. Now if I was a big shot outdoor writer, I just might use that bullet test tube - it gives a real good look at the wound channel. Regards, Guy

I had heard about them Guy and so after reading the article I looked them up. Maybe not all they are cracked up to be. They recommend getting the extension if you use a penetrating bullet like the Nosler Partition (the KING!), and then it's one shot in one tube, you check out what took place and what everything looks like including wound channel, which is neat, but then you are done. That is unless you purchase 5 or 6 other tubes at about $100.00 a pop so you can try more than one bullet while you are out there. Then there's the chance of having a bullet go out the side of the tube so then you have to order another one or find something similar to come up with. The jell is really sticky according to the maker so you also have to purchase a special lube so it comes off the tube and other things to include your hands. Once I looked into it a bit more and read some of the things you had to do, it didn't appear all that appealing to me any more. Forgot to mention that you need to use a crock pot or something like that with a real low heat threshold to be kept below something like 170 degrees, and also no open flames as this stuff can ignite pretty easily. I think I'll stick with what we are doing!! And if you use your crock pot or whatever you will need something to line whatever you are heating this stuff in or you will never get it all off of the sides of the pan or whatever you are using. That should make a few wives very happy to have their husbands using their good cooking appliances to heat this stuff up in!

Our jugs are cheap, they can be recycled, it shows a real life penetration test, expansion, and weight retention. Only thing we don't get out of them is the wound channel, but all of us can afford to buy a few .89 cent water jugs, or save our empty milk containers and go shoot them. Our results are consistent across the board as we are all using the same thing. I think we are doing pretty darn well myself. :wink:

I think whoever that Guy was that came up with an idea for a special bullet test section made a great call too!
David

I have bought 4 of Bob Hagel's books he wrote. He was a favorite of mine to read as a kid. Probably part of the reason of my like for the 338/358 calibers. Anyhow, talk about a PT nut. This guy preaches alot about the 7mm Mag's, 300 Mags, 338/358 mags. One thing that is common to all is he was about as big a fan of the PT or Bitteroot bullets I have ever seen. Makes alot of sense. Some of his stuff might be a little jaded, as he wrote more of his better than 30 years ago, but most of it still pertains and makes alot of sense. If you ever get the chance, give them a look. When I get the chance, I will post up the names of the books.

joel says
Needless to say, I wouldn't worry about either on elk. I'll still be loading Partitions likely.

Me to!!!!
I loved this post lots of great info here from you all. 6mm I would love to be able to do milk jug penetration tests at 500 yards, but first you have to be able to hit them.
As you all know I have been doing real world penetration tests with Partitions since 61. I will continue these tests for a few more years, if I am able. My sampling shows so far that they work. But I will keep testing.

Elkman":v6nuhckm said:
joel says

Me to!!!!
I loved this post lots of great info here from you all. 6mm I would love to be able to do milk jug penetration tests at 500 yards, but first you have to be able to hit them.
As you all know I have been doing real world penetration tests with Partitions since 61. I will continue these tests for a few more years, if I am able. My sampling shows so far that they work. But I will keep testing.
Very neat! That's a lot of testing and sounds like a lot of it on the real stuff such as a big old buck! It's not only hitting them, but keeping the bullets in the jugs so you can find them. I found that out at 300 yards in that the jugs and shooter have to be lined up pretty good to make it work. I am going to try it though. I mean what do I have to lose but a few bullets, and maybe a little pride!! :oops: I do have an idea for a slightly jug also I just have to check to see what I can get them for. I don't want something made of too thick of plastic or steel as that pretty tough on a bullet. This "idea" for a target is a bit larger than a gallon jug and I think it might just work. If I keep the top loose or off, maybe I won't split my "target" too badly to where I can't temporarily patch the whole and use it again at least once more too.

This weekend is booked, but I'm hoping next weekend maybe. I'll test a 165 gr. AccuBond in my 30-06, the 100 gr. Partition in my 6mm, and the 90 gr. E-tip in my boys 6mm. If I get my butt in gear and tweak my boys 300 WSM load to where I want it, I could also try it. It would be with a 180 gr. AccuBond or possibly Partition.

David

I don't mean to disagree with the Eastman folks and these media bullet test write ups in hunting magazines are interesting to read about. However, after nearly 50 years of using the Partition and never losing an antelope or deer shot and well hit with any Partition from a .243, 85 grain to a .338, 225 grain bullet on 75 plus (or so) deer sized animals, I can't say that I would classify the Partition bullet as "slow opening" on deer sized game animals, at least not in my experience.

Usually in almost all cases, I could pour the liquefied (red jello, looking) lungs out through the one inch or larger exit hole in the ribs of all the deer sized game that I have shot with these bullets. Now these pronghorn, whitetail, black tail and mule deer weighed between 125 and 275 lbs. dressed and gutted and were mostly standing shots but a few were running when shot. None of these animals went more than about 30 yards after being hit. The largest group of these animals were killed by a .270 Winchester, 130 gr Partition; 7mm Rem Mag, 160 gr Partition or a .30-06 (or .300 H&H), 165 gr Partition bullets at ranges from 20 to 425 yards. The vast majority were shot at between 100 and 250 yards range.

This consistent and predictable bullet expansion behavior is the reason that I have almost exclusively used Partition bullets since 1963. I have clean missed a couple of animals that I have shot at but have never lost a deer sized animal shot with any Partition bullet which entered the chest cavity frontally, sideways or quartering away.

Oldtrader3":dnlgerkv said:
I don't mean to disagree with the Eastman folks and these media bullet test write ups in hunting magazines are interesting to read about. However, after nearly 50 years of using the Partition and never losing an antelope or deer shot and well hit with any Partition from a .243, 85 grain to a .338, 225 grain bullet on 75 plus (or so) deer sized animals, I can't say that I would classify the Partition bullet as "slow opening" on deer sized game animals, at least not in my experience.

Agreed! And I believe Eastman's means "slowest opening" as a compliment. The exact verbiage: "On the other end of the spectrum, the Nosler Partition was the slowest to expand, which is probably why so many hunters prefer them for crushing a shoulder bone."

Also, the difference between the "quickest opening" Nosler E-Tip distance to open of 0.71 inches and the "slowest opening" Nosler Partition distance to open of 1.18 inches is less than half an inch. Likely insignificant. But maybe it is indicative the Partition has a better chance of making it through the first layer of bone intact.

Back