300 Win Mag VS Mule Deer

Remmy

Beginner
Jun 7, 2006
Well Im starting to like my new rem 700 300 win Mag topped off with the Kahles Multi Zero. I loaded up some 168 ct's with 79 gr of rl 22. I didnt have much time to get a load due to the work load this summer. I got it shooting around 3/4 inch.....hopefully I can tighten this up. I have had the gun for around 6 months and have been itching to try it out. I finally got got try it out and the load on a coyote 2 weeks ago. the dog stepped out at 300 yrds when I let it fly. Not a pretty site I must say. Well first critter down with the first shot. I have been hunting fairly hard for a mule deer with a buddy for the past few weeks. We have seen a tonne of bucks with a few pushing in the low seventys. Just thin horned and not really what either of us were looking for. We have spent mornings and evenings sitting on the river and hay fields and mid day pushing bush. Well on saturday we started pushing bush with the same results as the past days. does and small bucks. we decided to head over to a chunk of bush behind my grandmas that i shot a 160 whitey out of 3 years ago. the piece is about 3 acres in the middle of no where. It just about always has moose, deer and or coyoyes come out. I took up sitting on the SE corner about 200 yrds from the bush with a buddy 300 yrds north watching the back door. he didnt have his MD draw so the deal was if a good whitey came out it was his. My other buddy with his draw started the push from the west. 4 does came out and my thoughts wandered to the rest of the drives and the does and small bucks that they produced. finally a buck crested the hill following the does in a direct line to me. As i got a better look he would have topped out at 140 ish. I was ready to make a mile back to my truck when i looked back and seen a wide rack following the first buck. no question it was a shooter. I settled on a brancha and debated on waiting until he got closer. No way...i touvhed off the shot with the buck running directly at me at 150 yrds. It connected with the familiar whoomp. I recovered from the shot to see the buck skidding to a stop followed by a few yipes from my buddy. He watched the whole thing in his scope as the bullet sent waves through the buck as it hit. The ct's did there job. As I walked up the buck didnt get any smaller. He grossed mid 180 being a 5X4 with brows and a few nubs around the bases. What a great way to start off the year with my new ride. It is hard to leave the rem sendaro 25-06 shooting 115 ct's in the closet though. Hopefully the pics turn out. Happy hunting! :grin:

2006muledeer024.jpg

2006muledeer029.jpg

2006muledeer014-1.jpg

Great job and a great Mulie buck!

I too love my 300WM-Sako m75SS-reloaded with 180gr Accubonds with 74.0gr RL22 shooting under 1/2" groups.

I use this rifle for most of my big game in Alberta. I did buy 2 Tikka T3 LS 270WSM and reload with 140gr Accubonds. Sweet rifle-does a great job also- wife uses one and if I want a change, I use the other.

ausome deer, great story, thanks for posting..... great on you man!!! :shock: regards jjmp

Great buck.If only there were more like that in washington st.Haven't seen a buck like that in years. :cry:

Back