Grizzly Bear with .30-06

I'd be just fine with a 30/06 and 200 PTs. They are amazing bullets and when pushed along at 2600 or so would do real well I'd guess. Good luck hurting one of them. I've seen 300 Weatherbys not hurt them too awful much in my Bullet tests and recovered bullets out of dirt and rocks. I would be okay if that was what I was hunting them with. Same for the 200 AB. Both of those two are serious bullets for heavy, big boned game.

We used to watch 8ft sized bears shot with 30/06s and the old 220 Peters cartridges, every fall. And if the bear was facing us , which is Often is the case ,hunting off old Moose kills. I would tell the hunter to shoot em right in "the pocket" where the bottom of the neck meets the side of the shoulder. Any bear I ever saw ,when hit with a 220 gr from any 30/06 rifle, shot there.
Always go straight downt in the front end, right onto their chest, and even though that,sometimes the back legs were still working,they would then hopelessly try to push them forward........ :| they have a heck of a will to live, but they were mortally hit at that point........ That was obvious,so As they were dying, and I usually would bring my gun down , knowing it was not needed...
And tell the hunters, to keep "pouring it onto them!"
End of story, hit correctly the 06 with proper shot placement just works! I would not hesitate to shoot
A ten footer with the old 06 anytime,as long as I can
Pick my shot... Lights out.

Nice! Nothing like the voice of experience... Out of curiosity - what were you carrying, as the guide?

220 grain Nosler Partition after smashing through the jugs, fired from my .30-06 at a tad under 2,400 fps. I've never put one into an animal. Sure do like the way that big, blunt nosed bullet looks though. It was recovered from the 7th jug, which puts it in some pretty rare company:

Afraid these milk jugs don't qualify as dangerous game though.

Guy

Milk jugs don't qualify as dangerous game, but they do qualify as dense material. That is pretty impressive penetration with sufficient shedding of frontal material to put a hurt on abut anything it should slam into at those velocities.

Guy,
Of course what I carried as a guides back up gun was different than what I personally hunted with , but to answer that question, in the early years I had a beautiful little Sako 375H&H, that had a handsome amount of feathercrotch in the butt, with a soft Oil finish, cut down to twenty inches then front sight reinstalled with screws and silver brazed! With BBC bullets there was no stopping it, later on I bought a little .338 with composite stock on it, and never had any problems with it on wounded brown bears either, it worked great , I shot Federal Preamium ammo in 210 n 250 gr Nosler bullets, the ballistics of those older factory
Loads were almost identical to the RL15 handloads I am now shooting out of my 35 Whelen! Both those guns saved my life on different occasions.......
We used to fly up to the Brooks Range in early August to set up Sheep Camp on the North side in the Hula Hula valley, when I was guiding sheep hunters , and because the bears are smaller up there I didnt really see any need to carry anything but my old
30/06! But I did always have some either 250gr Barnes handloads in my pocket, just incase we encountered grizzly problems.
Towards the end I ran out of the 250gr bullets and switched to 220gr Noslers and I thought they worked fantastic as well.
I really dont want to come off as the voice of experence, as there are far more experenced guides in Alaska than I , but we did get to hunt there 26 seasons!
Cheers
E

Earle -

Those old 220 grain Peters bullets that you speak of, were those a round nose bullet? They sound effective!

I like effective!

Dale

Guy,

Milk Jugs do so qualify as dangerous game.

You are fortunate you never had one roll off the shooting bench, striking you about the head, and disabling your hearing aids.

Shoot every milk jug you can as they are very deadly to costly medical devices and Momma will kill you when they die. [emoji1]

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ha ha, I like effective to! Yes they were a big old round nose bullet and I am going to guess sorta like a corelokt in toughness,
I dont think the velocity was anything spectacular either, just that bears hit properly will usually go down easier than you might
Think, however where folks get into trouble, is letting them get back UP!!! Once that happens you are now in a different courtroom. Even large magnums unless they are placed precisely dont have much effect, while the adrenaline supercharged bear is trying to escape! Ward always said keep shooting till your SURE, you got em!
My association with Peters cartridges comes from guiding for Alaska Safaris owner Ward Gay, he had guided the folks from Peters since the late 1940's and was actually featured in quite a few magazine ads they ran in the 1950s , there were many CASES ,Of Peters ammo in Wards closet, and 220gr 30/06 was a very popular one. I am sure his son Kirk still has some left! Ward also
Owed Sea Airomotive Airlines out of Anchorage. He came to Alaska in the 1930 from Wyoming. And had been guiding over 40years
When I went to work there in 1979......... here is one of the ads from 1953!
s-l400-1.jpeg

I may be mistaken but if memory serves me correctly Remington owned the Peters name, produced their ammunition and the 220 grain bullet was a corelokt.

diverdown":1bqidnxb said:
I may be mistaken but if memory serves me correctly Remington owned the Peters name, produced their ammunition and the 220 grain bullet was a corelokt.

I think you're right.
Paul B.

Wasn't the old Peters "Belted" bullet the premium of the day. I believe I remember reading it was what the old Core Lokt was based off of?

I have loaded the Woodleigh 240 (30-06 velocity) in a 24" '06 for an even 2400fps. I would think that would be a good one for those guys. While I have shot a lot of Woodleighs in 35cal and '06, I've only killed one hog and that was with the 310( also going 2400) It was just awesome, 40 cal in, 75 cal out, very little bloodshot. I'm going to try this 240 in my 22" 30-06 "new to me" Mod 70 FWT too. One can never tell when the Circus Elephant will go rogue!

preacher":1fdgtynf said:
I have loaded the Woodleigh 240 (30-06 velocity) in a 24" '06 for an even 2400fps. I would think that would be a good one for those guys. While I have shot a lot of Woodleighs in 35cal and '06, I've only killed one hog and that was with the 310( also going 2400) It was just awesome, 40 cal in, 75 cal out, very little bloodshot. I'm going to try this 240 in my 22" 30-06 "new to me" Mod 70 FWT too. One can never tell when the Circus Elephant will go rogue!

I dig those big heavies at moderate speeds. They just look cool as well.

E, that's a cool picture of the belted bullet.

Paul Barnard":41kqcfpf said:
Vince":41kqcfpf said:
you never had one roll off the shooting bench, striking you about the head,

We might be related Vince.
I'm sure we are cousin. [emoji106]

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Scott,
The fella in that ad was probably the most famous guide
To ever hunt bears out of Kodiak! He had a 50' boat called
The Brown Bear, and many of the later well known guides
Worked for Madsen as young apprentices.

See? That's the kind of experience & knowledge this forum attracts!

Me? I just like rifles and shooting.

Guy

Back